375, 260 GR Accubond - Kodiak Brown Bear Results

Double Shovel

Beginner
Oct 28, 2008
Greetings,

I haven't posted in a while, but thought it might be time to share a quick AccuBond story...

I live in Alaska and hunt as much at time allows - a couple good trips a year. Anyhow, my good friend and hunting partner drew a Spring Kodiak bear tag and asked me to tag along. We scheduled time off from work and began planning last winter. During the planning, we discussed rifles and cartridges a bit. He's a lefty shooter which narrowed the discussion some. He settled on a Ruger stainless/laminate 375 Ruger. I have a Sako Kodiak 375 H&H.

So, with rifles selected, we talked bullets. I really enjoy reloading and, of course, wanted to test everything! Well, we found a great deal on Nosler 2nds in 375, 260 Grain Accubonds and bought a couple hundred. They shot great - 3/4" in the Ruger and 1" in the Sako at 100 yards - both at around 2700 FPS.

Satisfied with results at the range, we discussed bullet construction and penetration. We considered partitions, A-Frames, TSX, and these Accubonds. It was hard to ignore the small groups, tolerable recoil, "flat" trajectory, and price of the Accubonds... But, most of what we had read and heard about was how it would require extreme penetration to put a big bear on the ground. We decided on the Accubonds (didn't even test any of the others) - off to Kodiak we go!

Day 1) Fly in and forget pump for inflatable Zodiak - pump up boat using garbage bag :oops: Set up camp, hike ridge, spot until dark and only see a few deer.

Day 2) Hike ridge and spot for 12 hours straight - nothing. With about an hour of daylight remaining, we consider going back to camp. One more look up a nearby valley reveals a nice sized bear. Spotting scope says mature boar, somewhere between 8 and 9 feet. We hustle up the valley, the wind is good and the bear is near a waterfall which covers our sound (hard to be super quiet in wader pants). Daylight is fading and the bear is bedded in heavy cover. Partner tries for better look from higher up as I sit and watch for bear. Bear stands up at 98 yards, knows something's up. I can see the bear but I can't see my partner - I "call" to my partner six or eight times. Bear gets nervous and starts to head for cover. One more "call" to my partner stops the bear broadside. I'm relieved when partner shoots and hits twice - both solid. Bear disappears in small ravine. We regroup, sit, and watch for bear. Bear takes off, slowly climbing, opposite mountain at about 200 yards. Four shots later, bear rolls down hill and hangs up in alders, expires. We find the bear and darkness at about the same time!

After skinning the bear, we notice that the first shot broke the front right shoulder and nearly exited just in front of the left shoulder (found just under the hide). Other shots to the ribs and farther back did not exit (as far as we could tell).

In summary, the AccuBond performed beautifully (see photos)!! I do not know what a different bullet would have done with similar shot placement. Yes, this bear proved to be a resiliant creature as expected. We are satisfied with bullet performance but noted that shot placement remains king. This bear was aged at 14 years old, 26 13/16" skull, squared 8'5", and had exceptional hair for a spring bear.

Good hunting to all!IMG_0561.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 2,207
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 2,206
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 2,207
Excellent account of a true trophy hunt. Thanks for sharing. Those bears can be surprisingly tough, absorbing a great deal of punishment. It is humbling, and ensures that a hunter wants a bullet that will not let him down. Consequently, the hide does look exceptionally good for that critter.

Nice job on the bear! I would love to be able to hunt a Kodiak or a Grizzly bear someday! You should post a picture of the recovered AccuBond. There are a million of us who would like to se pictures! We need more pictures... :grin: What was the distance on the shot for your partner?

Very cool! And a very tough critter to take 6 shots from a .375 ruger! Very enlightening! Those are some great looking photos as well. Thanks for sharing the experience!

Wow, thank you so much for posting that. That was a great story. The Alaskan Brown Bear is my dream hunt right now and I cannot wait to do it in the future. Sounds like you got excellent performance out of the 260gr AB, not that I had much doubt after seeing all of the bullets and game that bullet has been putting down over the past few years. Again, great story and pictures. Congrats on a great bear hunt. Scotty

Thanks for posting the story great job in telling it, congrats to both you and your friend on a very nice bear. You guys have great taste in guns too :grin: Can't wait to hunt for grizz this fall

Double Shovel

Congratulations to you and your buddy on a very nice bear, way to go.
Those AB's are pretty tough bullets.

JD338

6mm Remington":2mlkiqgx said:
Nice job on the bear! I would love to be able to hunt a Kodiak or a Grizzly bear someday! You should post a picture of the recovered AccuBond. There are a million of us who would like to se pictures! We need more pictures... :grin: What was the distance on the shot for your partner?

I've got the recovered AccuBond at home and will take a photo when I get back (I'm out of town for work). I'll put the recovered bullet on the scale too...I'm guessing somewhere around 70% weight retention. The first shot distance was slightly over 100 yards.

Thanks all for the interest! I know I always enjoy a good bullet discussion with actual findings from an imperfect science.

Thank you so much for sharing. that is one heck of a dream hunt for most!

Not much to discuss there. Accubonds rock. Even brown bears. Great story and thanks for the pics.

FOTIS":yn4b9b8q said:
Thank you so much for sharing. that is one heck of a dream hunt for most!

X2. I keep rereading your post DS! Very awesome and thanks for sharing. Scotty

Thanks Guys excellent story :) and of course AccuBond does a great job.
Look forward to hearing more stories from that part of the world.

Blessings,
Dan

What a great recount of the hunt. It realy gets our adrenalin going when we hear about "THE HUNT", especially when it's a dream hunt for most of us.
Congrats on a nice bear and thanks for the pictures and story.
Greg

Awesome hunt for you and your budd. Your out doing something most of us outside guys only dream of.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Rod

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the story/photos. I'll update with a photo of the recovered bullet next time I go home.

Yes, I consider myself very fortunate to hunt Alaska two or three times a year. I grew up in Montana and hunted almost 3 months a year... Up here, where areas and animals aren't as easily accessable, a good hunt requires a good plan. All it takes is time and money - I usually have one or the other, rarely both at the same time!

Back