375, 260 GR Accubond - Kodiak Brown Bear Results

Wow! I didn't see this post until now. Great hunt there Double Shovel!

Good photos and nicely written too. You guys had to be stoked, taking a bear like that.

Congrats!

Here are two photos of the recovered AccuBond. As you can see, the bullet held together well after penetrating shoulder and other bone. The recovered weight was 199 grains - about 77% retained weight. This was at a muzzle velocity of about 2800 FPS (375 Ruger handloads), impact velocity at 100 yards about 2600 FPS. We didn't do an "autopsy" or look at internal damage - would've been good information I suppose.

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 862
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 862
"The recovered weight was 199 grains - about 77% retained weight. This was at a muzzle velocity of about 2800 FPS (375 Ruger handloads), impact velocity at 100 yards about 2600 FPS."

Good info! Looks like the AccuBond performed very well. Would you use the same bullet again, or go with the 300 gr AccuBond or one of the Partitions if you got to do it all over again?

Guy

Guy,

I would use the same bullet again without hesitation.

I don't remember even seeing the 300 grain AccuBond at the time we were building loads. Now that I look at it, that bullet may have been a better choice as far as penetration goes. May have even seen an exit hole?

The 300 Grain Partition would have worked great too. I've taken moose, caribou, grizzlies, deer, elk, and antelope with Partitions. No doubt a 300 grainer would have done well on this Brownie. I do have some 375, 260 grain partitions and think they would be a great Moose/Bear thumper. I like the BC of the AccuBonds, but, really, there isn't much trajectory difference for the ranges I hunt Moose and Bear.

Moose season has arrived - I'm taking off for the weekend...

Good hunting all!

Back