45-70 #1 or Lever guide gun?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I have a nice looking Ruger #1S in 45-70.

Shoots nice!

300 TSX Flat Nose at 2150 fps

That said I am wanting a Guide gun. Short light etc. If I do I have to pay a premium to get a JM stamped one. The new ones do not impress me at all!

The GG is 37" overall and 7 LBS

The Ruger No. 1S Sporter, weighs 7.25 lbs on the nose, has a 22" barrel and, thanks to a very compact action, is only 38.5" in overall length.

So What do I do?

I have levers in 30-30 25-20 32-20 32 WS 348 wi and 444 Marlin

In #1's I have a 223 1V fast twist 223 a 1A in 280 rem and the 45-70

Fotis with the 444 in hand I wouldn't think I would want another lever in 45-70 especially when I had a #1 that looks and shoots like that one unless your going in the bush after a wounded Griz and then I would want a 12ga pump with all the slugs it could hold like a 1897 Win riot or M-12 riot that you can hold the trigger down and just keep pumping and slinging lead if charged at close range. There's something about an ounce of solid lead that plain gets the job done. :mrgreen:
But you want a guide model 45-70 so you should get one but ( gift ) me the Ruger #1, I'll even come to Cheyenne to pick it up. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Keep an eye or ear open, the old JMs pop up every now and again. They are sorta rare but I'd bet most folks don't know the difference around local used rifle stores.

6mm Remington":12ujnp5s said:
Both would be good Fotis, but if you can only have one, then it's the #1! Clearly.
The #1 is clearly more versatile in loads since 50k psi is no issue.
Of course one can run a 45-90 reamer in it too. Lol

There's a lot to be said for a fast handling lever gun with a good peep sight. That would make a nice trim package to pack around in the timber.

I have a #1 Stainless in 45-90 ,with a brake, hell of a cartridge. One can easily attain low end .458 WM loads by handloading. I would love to trade it for something that I would use more.

The old JM Marlin 1895's in .45-70 could be loaded to 40-43,000 cup, which makes for a stout load.
Don't know about the new ones.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

HAWKEYESATX":2ijzdvur said:
The old JM Marlin 1895's in .45-70 could be loaded to 40-43,000 cup, which makes for a stout load.
Don't know about the new ones.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

same (y)

I like Marlins just fine - but with such a terrific Number One already on hand, I think you should hunt it hard!

Excellent choice for bear, elk and moose I'd think. And I know a .45/70 stomps a mule deer real well. :mrgreen:

You've got such a terrific rifle already, why not just use it more afield?

Now, if you just WANT the Marlin, that's another matter...

Guy

as much as I love lever actions, I am with guy on this one. Besides the number one is a lever, sort of. those number one's are very handy little rifles. I am sure if I had neither and they were side by side in the store, I would choose the lever, but that is simply a preference for levers and nothing more

Elkman":2b5e9yrm said:
I have a #1 Stainless in 45-90 ,with a brake, hell of a cartridge. One can easily attain low end .458 WM loads by handloading. I would love to trade it for something that I would use more.
Want to trade?

Attachments

• KIMG0273(1).jpeg
    KIMG0273(1).jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 1,583
Guy Miner":1eezkez1 said:
I like Marlins just fine - but with such a terrific Number One already on hand, I think you should hunt it hard!

Excellent choice for bear, elk and moose I'd think. And I know a .45/70 stomps a mule deer real well. :mrgreen:

You've got such a terrific rifle already, why not just use it more afield?

Now, if you just WANT the Marlin, that's another matter...

Guy

Think you talked me into it! :mrgreen:

I would be hard pressed to let that No# 1 go, especially since you already have a 444.

Do you hunt with the number 1 now or do you use the 444, more often when you hunt. If you use the 444 a lot more, maybe you just prefer the lever action rifle.

The only place I have spent much time in Wy, is Jackson Hole, pretty country. Are brown bears available to hunt in Wy ? Do you hunt them every year in WY or could if you chose to ?

At one time, I had both the Ruger #1 and an 1895 Marlin in 45-70. The Marlin has been long gone. It was one of the first of the 1895's based on the 336 action and I flat out just didn't like it. Besides, if I'd sold off the #1, all my other #1's would have been left very sad at the loss of their brother. :roll:
Paul B.

Back