45-70 Hornady 325 Flex tip

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Fired from 24" barrel at 2150 fps. Wet newsprint impact at 5 feet from muzzle

xXnswS8l.jpg

Looks to be a tough bullet.
How much penetration I to the wet newsprint?

JD338

When those first came out the hornady guy brought some up to Alaska and hunted brown bear with the 325 flex tip. He shot a peninsula brown bear twice and it was killed by his guide with a 375 H&H.

The expansion was good but penetration was pretty poor, one flattened out like a silver dollar and failed to punch thru the shoulder.

I think it would make for a great deer/blackbear bullet but I would look to something harder for moose/big bears.

It's possible they have toughened it up since but I did notice some pictures of that bear show up in hornady PR pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the same thing TBear mentioned. On deer, they put big holes in deer. In the jugs at 2100 they looked about the same as yours did Fotis. Slowed down to 1900 they looked pretty decent. Just my opinion but the 45-70 doesn't need much expansion to really pound stuff.

Couple of years ago my BIL shot a big bull Buffalo on his ranch in Montana with those. After the second shot failed to put the bull down he grabbed his 270 out of the truck and killed the buffalo. Very poor penetration. One bullet got into the lung the other stopped against the near leg bone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back