7mm Mashburn Super Magnum

It will be great to see that rifle collect some game shortly; and it does appear to be ready for the hunt. (y)

Leslil":2lf60zy8 said:
That looks great.
I'm going to work with that 150 and R22 load for now. Then I have 2# Retumbo and 300 168gr. Custom Comp seconds to play with.

I haven't tried Retumbo with 160's but I think it could push the them a little faster than H1000 can. I know I get just under 3100 even with 175's and Retumbo. I just didn't have enough of it to really work with, so I stuck with H1000.

I'll be watching your RL22 and 150 loads.. They sound real good.

DrMike":2lf60zy8 said:
It will be great to see that rifle collect some game shortly; and it does appear to be ready for the hunt. (y)

I can't wait Mike. Its functioning well and the accuracy seems pretty good as well. Really thinking it'll be a nice rifle in the open country.

Did a little shooting today with some 160's to see if the ogive measurement of the 175 PT would hold up for the other bullets. Unfortunately, the only one that printed close was the 154 Hornady.

The 160 Swift A-Frames weren't too bad. I imagine with some work I could make them come together.

160 Woodleighs were off in left field, literally...

160 PT's were in the same area for the group, but just a large triangle.

Two 175 PT's for reference were just a touch low at 100, but I figured it would be good enough for what I was trying to do..

Oh, almost forgot, the 175 Sierra Gamekings weren't horrible either. Some of the poor shooting could have been the HEAT! 90+ degrees and bright.. I thought I started early enough, turns out I am going to treat range work like turkey hunting and be in an hour before light! :lol:

Might try some of the 175 Hornady's and see how they match up.. The the 154's shoot like that, the 175's might not be half bad either..

pretty darned nice , this 7 - MSM sure seems to work well with little effort .

Scotty , I've noticed before that a lot of stuff happens at the 90* temp and higher . I seem to do ok in the high 80's , but get to 90* and things change . I usually get high humidity with the higher temps , this kind of weather stinks . three shots make enough heat to fry an egg , and it takes forever for the barrels to cool .

Your right Jim. This thing is easy. Never would have guessed a rechambered factory sporter would be so easy to work with.

Yup, this sorta heat makes the wheels fall off pretty quick. Heck, the rifle is probably fine but I can't handle the darned heat.

Really thinking on getting a reamer and ordering another barrel I like it so much. The barrel won't rot and it'll be nice to have it around when this factory tube finally dies out.

truck driver":16124q3i said:
You've got me thinking of rebarreling the 300 Weatherby to 7mmMSM with the way yours is working.

It's the 7mm version of the 300 Wby. 160 vs 180's 3200, 175's vs 200's 3050. Recoil just doesn't feel harsh at all Rodger. I would have never guessed a rifle so light'ish would be this easy going.

SJB358":gon2f28k said:
truck driver":gon2f28k said:
You've got me thinking of rebarreling the 300 Weatherby to 7mmMSM with the way yours is working.

It's the 7mm version of the 300 Wby. 160 vs 180's 3200, 175's vs 200's 3050. Recoil just doesn't feel harsh at all Rodger. I would have never guessed a rifle so light'ish would be this easy going.

I've thought this too , Scotty would know better than me .if you like the mark V , I think this could be as easy as screwing on a 7mm bbl . you would have the correct bolt face , and lots of magazine length . this is probably a cheap way of trying out a 7MSM .

truck driver":3g2xkfm3 said:

7mm-300 Bee?

SJB358":by0pb5vo said:
Your right Jim. This thing is easy. Never would have guessed a rechambered factory sporter would be so easy to work with.

Yup, this sorta heat makes the wheels fall off pretty quick. Heck, the rifle is probably fine but I can't handle the darned heat.

Really thinking on getting a reamer and ordering another barrel I like it so much. The barrel won't rot and it'll be nice to have it around when this factory tube finally dies out.

I have a reamer sitting on the shelf.

jimbires":3b2o6e9b said:
SJB358":3b2o6e9b said:
truck driver":3b2o6e9b said:

I've thought this too , Scotty would know better than me .if you like the mark V , I think this could be as easy as screwing on a 7mm bbl . you would have the correct bolt face , and lots of magazine length . this is probably a cheap way of trying out a 7MSM .
Jim it's a Vanguard but it still has the right bolt face and plenty of room in the magazine.

jimbires":3unshbbw said:
SJB358":3unshbbw said:
truck driver":3unshbbw said:

Anything with a .532" bolt face would work fine for the conversion or rechambering. I'd want at least 3.6" in the mag box for space. Other than that you'd be just fine.

If it's something you just wanna try out, I'd say just rechamber any old 7mm Rem Mag. Easy stuff, it'll clean the chamber up nicely and you'd have a straight and decent chamber to work with. Pretty cheap if you can borrow a reamer from someone.

It's set up with no throat. I figured bullets wasn't getting any shorter in the future so I wanted to be covered. So your smith could set it up how ever you wanted.

Back