A new shooter's perspective, .375 vs .30-06

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Have been coaching a new shooter with rifle & handgun. She's a physically strong middle aged woman, as strong or stronger than most men I'd guess. But she's done very little shooting.

Last week we shot my .375 H&H Ruger Number One.

This week we shot my .30-06 Remington 700 CDL.

She said "ouch" after the first shot with the .30-06, a 165 gr bullet at 2850 fps.

Said the .375 didn't hurt at all... A 270 grain bullet at 2700 fps... She liked the "push" of the .375 a lot more than the rap of the .30-06, and I don't consider either to be a hard-kicking rifle.

Interesting.

Guy

I can identify with that. I've always thought the 375 H&H was a shove rather than a kick. I would hazard a guess that the No. 1 stock fit her better. Course, it's only a guess.

I'd bet she'd really like your 308 Guy. I sure notice the difference between my 308 and 30-06, even with 125 gr loads. That 30-06 just has more snap to it. I still enjoy shooting it, but I know I could shoot a lot more 308 rounds before fatiguing.

I have noticed the difference between my 338-06 and 243, granted the 338 & 280 both wear pachmayr pads & the 243 is the stock plastic butt plate but I think ultimately that shove isn't nearly as bad as the sharp fast kick

DrMike":1h51cgv2 said:
I can identify with that. I've always thought the 375 H&H was a shove rather than a kick. I would hazard a guess that the No. 1 stock fit her better. Course, it's only a guess.
+1 on what Doc said, I found that my M700 35 Whelen recoiled harder than my M70 35 Whelen AI and both weigh about the same and both have the same recoil pad. My Ruger M77 30-06 is lighter than both Whelens but is a pussy cat to shoot. All 3 have classic style stocks and the Ruger M77 has the rubber butt plate and the Whelens have Air Cell recoil pads :?:

If on the bench, position can mean the difference between unpleasant and not. Stock design is important, too.

I find the 338 win mag more objectionable than my 416 because of its sharpness.

I've have a 243 that I hate to shoot it just pops a guy. Rather shoot my 9.3. I agree Guy the 9.3 and .375 is a long shove versus a sharp pop.

Guy Miner":1jz1224d said:
Have been coaching a new shooter with rifle & handgun. She's a physically strong middle aged woman, as strong or stronger than most men I'd guess. But she's done very little shooting.

Last week we shot my .375 H&H Ruger Number One.

This week we shot my .30-06 Remington 700 CDL.

She said "ouch" after the first shot with the .30-06, a 165 gr bullet at 2850 fps.

Said the .375 didn't hurt at all... A 270 grain bullet at 2700 fps... She liked the "push" of the .375 a lot more than the rap of the .30-06, and I don't consider either to be a hard-kicking rifle.

Interesting.

Guy
Guy, may have something to do with the 30-06 has a sharper shoulder angle creating more pressure. Just like my 300 H&H is a big push over a sharp recoil of a 300win. Long taper shoulder on the H&H case has something to do with it that I have found.

I think you have nailed it Guy.

While the stock fit definitely plays into it, I think it's just the type of "felt" recoil.

I have taken many novice shooters out who have no trouble managing a 12 gauge, .308 WCF, .357 Magnum, or my .45 Colt with decent loads. I do NOT let novice shooters try my .30-06 as it just has a greater amount of perceived recoil.

Just the way it works out I guess.

Dale

nvbroncrider":1t6w8l2t said:
I've have a 243 that I hate to shoot it just pops a guy. Rather shoot my 9.3. I agree Guy the 9.3 and .375 is a long shove versus a sharp pop.

Shot a Remington 600 series in .243 like that one time. It kicked worse than my .30-06 because it didn't fit a big guy like me worth a darn.

Also another note which may be worthy, rifles in .375 Ouch -n- Ouch are usually built heavier by necessity. A heavier rifle kicks less than a lightweight one in the same caliber, all things being equal.

Dale

First impressions can be deceptive, even among experienced shooters. A pal of mine railed against the share, fast rap of my 300 Win Mag and 180 gr bullet;yet he found my 338 Win Mag with 225's pleasant by comparison.

I had a 375 H&H built on a M70 with a Brown stock the weighed 8 pounds scoped. It was an easy rifle to shoot. The comb was big and thick,good cross section to the butt pad and compared to wood stocked rifles seemed to feel like it "flexed" somewhat,soaking up just a hair of that "push".

Also another issue with the 375 is that it is commonly loaded with lighter charges of medium burning powders like RL15 and 4064,yet still perfumes well even with heavy bullets. In contrast a 35 magnum wildcat on the full length, blown out H&H case used 92 gr RL19 and punched a 250 gr bullet out over 3000 fps. It recoiled very hard and was unpleasant to shoot.

Stock design has a lot to do with perceived recoil,like walking around with boots that don't fit.....you just know something is wrong. Recently I've shot a 300 Weatherby in a synthetic stock with too much drop,that whacked you hard. The same rifle became much more manageable after being stocked inane Echols Legend.

Stock design and recoil pad has EVERYTING to do with felt recoil. I have two 300 WSMs. An early production Savage 16 and a Rem 700 SPS Stainless. The savage stock is very spartan, straight with not a lot of drop, light and the factory pad. The remington has more drop, is more ergonomic, and sports their R3 pad. With full house heavy bullet loads the Savage will beat you up on the bench, after the 5th or 6th round its time to stop. The Remington is a joy and I have had 30 round range days with it.

I helped a buddy and his friend sight in their 338 Winchester's one day. Both were having problems getting it done because they were flinching. Although both rifles were 338 and were shooting the same factory loads, the rifles were different. The one was a Winchester Model 70 and the other guys was a Browning A-bolt if I recall correctly.

I found a very noticeable difference in the recoil on these rifles. The Browning was much harder to shoot as it belted you hard and had more muzzle flip. They felt like they were similar in weight, but the Browning definitely kicked more. The best I can tell just from that is that the stock design on the Winchester for me at least fit me significantly better and may be a better design overall.

I've shot a 375 H&H and I too was not bothered at all. It just gives you a nice smooth shove. Same with a buddies 45-70. It's a hoot to shoot. I'd much rather shoot either one of those than a 300 Weatherby or something similar.

Its all about stock fit. The 375 H&H is a push similar to a 12 ga field load.

JD338

Let her shoot your 25 Whelen and she will never mess with either one of those other two again !!!
JD is right we always said the .375 was same as a 12ga........... :grin:

She's quite likely to shoot the .25-06 next week!

Wants to get her hunting license and start hunting. Very cool.

Guy

Back