Anyone Use A Swiss K-31 to Hunt???

Deerslayer0823

Beginner
May 21, 2015
I've been debating with myself about using the Swiss K-31 rifle I just acquired to hunt with, or go with my more tried and true Remington 760 Gamemaster 30-06! What do y'all think?
Am I crazy for thinking about using my milsurp for hunting?
Ugh! The dilemma! LOL

I like a .30-06 for anything personally but that Swiss round should be somewhere between .300 Savage and .308 from what I hear...which is good for just about anything. :)

Yeah, Deerslayer

I hunt with mine. Got it some years ago when the price was much lower than today. Have killed many deer with it. I put a low powered scout scope on it - Its quick to get on target and good quick sight if deer is running, too.

K31_Rightside_053109.jpg

K-31s have a good reputation for accuracy. Hunting loads will need to be hand loaded. Be picky regarding the reloading dies - Some size to the original cartridge specs and some size to the K-31 chamber dimensions.

What would you like to know?

I'm going to be using it to deer hunt, but want to hunt bigger critters too.
I will more than likely use 180 gr Nosler BT's.
I thought about getting one of the non gunsmith scope mounts, or maybe a set of the MOJO peep sights.
I thought about going with original GP 11 velocities, but my buddy Fotis hooked me up with some really good Quickload formulas, and will try them out too.
I have a set of Lee dies, along with a shell holder, and powder dipper.
Any feedback on the info I just wrote is fully aappreciated.

Truck Driver, you should SO get it!
Ammo is much more plentiful now for it.
You won't be disappointed!

If you can shoot it well at your max range then you're good.

Deerslayer0823":3nv0r2hs said:
I'm going to be using it to deer hunt, but want to hunt bigger critters too.
I will more than likely use 180 gr Nosler BT's.
That bullet should be fine. I've used both the Sierra 165 and 180 GKs. Both made 2 holes in all my deer kills, so I've never found a bullet. I prefer the longer for caliber SGKs so the 180 is my favorite.

I thought about getting one of the non gunsmith scope mounts, or maybe a set of the MOJO peep sights.
I used that no drill S&K rear sight scope mount pictured above so that I could put the rifle back to all original if I wanted. The mount is solid - But did require me to get an "intermediate" eye relief scout scope.

I thought about going with original GP 11 velocities, but my buddy Fotis hooked me up with some really good Quickload formulas, and will try them out too.
Mine likes IMR-4350 with either the 165s or 180s. Am getting right around 2,750 and 2,640 fps respectively.

I have a set of Lee dies, along with a shell holder, and powder dipper.
Any feedback on the info I just wrote is fully aappreciated.
I've got both a set of Lee dies and Redding dies. CAUTION - That 3.05" OAL listed on the Lee dies loading info is probably TOO LONG for your rifle. I had to seat to 2.925" to keep those bullets off the lands.

Thank you very much Ray!
I will keep that overall length in mind. I will do overall length as you have done.
I too like the longer for caliber 180 gr SGK's, and will use them along with the BT's.
I do like IMR 4350, along with Hodgdon H4350. That powder works very well across all the calibers I have.
The K-31 is scary accurate! Something you don't see a lot in a military long arm!

Back