cleaning rods

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
I have been shooting and cleaning guns as long as I can remember. I would like to thank my family for that.
But, back to the subject, I have also been using the same cleaning rod. A three piece aluminum rod made by Outers that is probably older than I am.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that rod except the length. The handle almost touches the reciever before pushing the patch out of the barrel and you have to hold it just right to avoid hitting the scope and the stock. I tried threading another section of rod on to avoid the problem but it became weak and wanted to bend when using the jag.
Yesterday I was at the gun shop and bought a Tipton carbon fiber rod that is 40 inches long.
WOW is that nice.

What type of rod do you like?

Old #7 I to bought one of those long carbon fiber rods last year after finally geting tired of the 3 piece rods they make things alot easier.

I have various Tipton rods for rifles calibers and shotgun. They work great and come in different lengths.

Am using the Dewey rods for many of my rifles - a few others too. Good tools are nice.

I`ve a couple Remington 1 pc SS rods and 3 Tipton carbon 1 pc. The Tipton are definately the way to go!

I have six coated Deweys, make sure you use a proper fitting bore guide reguardless of the rod manufacturer.Rick.

+4 on the Dewy rod, only started using one recently, but well worth the money as opposed to rifling damage. Now I just need to buy 1 in .264-.284.

CC

I've used many rods over the years and preferred the coated Dewey rods until I bought my first Bore Tech rod. The bearing in the handle of the Bore Tech are much better and the handle is more comfortable. I now have 3 of their rods in 44" length. The longer rods make life easier too, especially with long magnum or varmint barrels.

Same here. I used Deweys for several years and then bought a Bore Tech and was pleasantly surprised. The handle is way more comfortable and spins with less effort.

BTW, I recently considered a Tipton but the ones I examined at Sportsman's Warehouse were all bowed. Not a single one was straight, so I passed on buying one.

I use the O.T.I.S. cleaning kit. The flexible cable style rods are great. It all folds into a very small package. It yielded all of my stiff, pain in the butt, screw together rods that always came unscrewed at the joints, obsolete!!

Have never looked back and was glad to shed those Ugly Sticks.

Back