correct ring height for lowest scope mounting

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I want the lowest scope mounting possible and I dont know the math or totally familiar on how to go about figuring out if its going to work or not with low rings, or if I need mediums.

Rifle is a Rem 700 243 win.

Base is a 1 piece Weaver Extended Tactical w/20 MOA

Scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, 30mm tube.

Rings I am looking at are the Weaver 6 screw tactical in either low or medium height. I would love to be able to get away with the lows, but I dont wanna order them to find out they wont clear and have to send them back and get mediums, etc...

Thanks in advance.

DrMike or many of the others here will tell you the correct way to measure, they are smarter than me. My solution to this problem is I order both then send the set back I don't use. Cheap insurance ! I have found typically that the mediums are not very high and don't bother me, like you I want the scope as low as I can mount it !

Remmy, I just kinda did the same thing. I ordered the Weaver Tactical Base and put Leupold LOW QRW rings on the 264 and my 338. The 264 has a 4.5x14 with the 40mm OBJ. I have a ton of room with the LOW rings. Scotty

DSC_2331.jpg

DSC_2333.jpg

Remmy

I would call the manufacture and ask but I think you are going to need the meduim height rings.

JD338

I went with the highs on the edge and have room under the bell, but don't think I would have room under the power adjustment ring for the bolt to clear if I went with the meds.

Check the Leupold web site or your midway catalog. They have lots of dimensions for bases rings. That said I go with the "buy 'em both" method myself. CL

I didn't realize those tacticals set up so high? I have one around somewhere that I may put on my Bee once I get it on the paper. Maybe next week I can shoot again, we are in the spring wind tunnel here again.

beretzs":1cgjby7r said:
DF, are those the Weaver Rings also on that rifle? Scotty
It's Millet Tactical. I won't be surprised if Weaver will look like that. It probably came out of the same factory.

Hmm, never thought about that. I like those Weaver bases. Seem like decent quality for the money. Scotty

I just mounted a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 on my 700 SPS Tactical using Warne 20moa base and Nightforce ultralight low rings. There is plenty of room between scope and barrel.

whats so important about keeping the scope so low? long as you can get a good cheekweld, the height will help, not hinder. every 1/8" of height you add on the scope, is 5/8's of useful trajectory at 500 yards.
BTW I use med. on 50 MM scopes
RR

I think my issue, is without having the stock mounted low over the receiver, I end up having to lift my face off of the stock in order to look squarely through the scope. If that is the case, I end up adding some kind of cheek piece in order to compensate. I believe that is why most say to mount it as low as possible RR. Scotty

Ridge_Runner":3pici97p said:
whats so important about keeping the scope so low? long as you can get a good cheekweld, the height will help, not hinder. every 1/8" of height you add on the scope, is 5/8's of useful trajectory at 500 yards.
BTW I use med. on 50 MM scopes
RR

If there is lots of time to take the shot and move around to get the right sight picture, it doesn't matter how high the scope is mounted. When I mount the rifle to my shoulder for a shot at a moving target, it needs to be in the scope without having to adjust for where my cheek-weld happens to be. The way most of my rifles come up to my shoulder requires a low ring to match my eye. Most of my hunting have been at deer moving at distances less than 100 yards that you have to get on target and squeeze fairly fast. I know you have taken some incredible shots with the 6.5 Gibbs and other rifles that may allow you time to adjust, or have stocks that allow you to have a different cheek-weld.

I have had the opportunity a couple of times for a "snap" shot at close range. This usually constitutes pulling up the rifle glancing down the scope and pulling the trigger. With a taller mount (I have seen "see through" mounts) I dont believe that I would have gotten a shot off. When you have a little time, it really makes no difference, I think it does when time is critical.
I do not carry my rifle over my shoulder when hunting nor use scope caps for the same reason. Just some things that work for me.

Just bought a new gun and scope.
Bought the High and then after measuring the gap, bought the Low set of rings.
Low looks pretty good to me with a nickel sitting under the scope bell.
Was able to send the High ring set back.
-
BUILD:
Remington 700 Stainless Sendero SF2 in 300 RUM.
20 MOA Nightforce 1-Piece Base.
30mm tube 5.5-22X56 Nightforce Zero Stop NXS Scope with added Sun Shade.
Nighforce Steel Rings are A104 1.125 High and A114 Low .885

de1744bdbb999e4831058995c2831817.jpg

This post is intended as a help for someone in getting the right height from Scope Bell to barrel on this particular build.
The "Tech" at Nightforce insisted that A104 High was needed, even though I carefully explained to him that I wanted the scope bell VERY close to the barrel.
After I took his advice and bought the A104 High set on eBay, I wrote and complained to the factory about the results.
They sent a letter of apology with an offer of a free T-Shirt.
I wanted them to exchange the rings, not send me a T-Shirt. :?
-
The seller on eBay did not have to exchange the ring set out for me, as feedback had already been given, plus it was 3 weeks after the original ring set arrived that I finally had my Scope and base in hand to check for height/clearance, but he was kind and exchanged them for me. :grin:
-
At $163 a set, I did not buy both to try them out, but do like that idea as this was a frustrating and a time consuming experience.
I had searched the web pretty hard with not much luck regarding this exact build.
In frustration, I finally called Nightforce for advice, receiving the WRONG advice.
-
Am hoping that this photo really pins it down for someone regarding this particular build.
-
(Edited to change photo out... trying to increase font size and explain my reason for this post)

Tactical rings are the following heights from the bottom suface which rests on the mount to the bottom of the scope bore. These height measurements are as follows: Low rings=.285 inches, medium rings=.485 inches, high rings=.685 inches. These dimensions correspond with the following scope bell diameters: low rings=42 mm bell dia, medium rings=50mm objective diameter, high rings=56 mm objective diameter. That is why they are a little different than Leupold and other American spec rings.

Interesting, Charlie. I had thought that every manufacturer had their own specs for tac ring heights... this makes a lot more sense.

Back