Looking into putting together a 22LR for PRS

we haven't got serious shooting our 22's yet . mostly just goofing around and having fun . the guys I shoot with all bought CZ rifles , I bought a Tikka . the guys were messing around with different ammo trying to see what's best for them last spring , I was laid up at the time . I've only shot Eley sport , and CCI std velocity . I hope my rifle shoots well , or good enough , with these . I have a case of the Eley , and 4 cases of CCI , I'd like to get used up . the guys have offered me their ammo assortments to try in mine . so for me testing different ammo will be cheap . I hope if I don't feed it the good stuff , it'll shoot what I have and not know the difference . Ha

I'd appreciate an update on how things are working out for you . keep me in the loop if you would .

Well, I finally made it out to the range with the Bergara!
Had 7 different types of 40 gr ammunition to test.
Sighted it in with the Eley Club ammo, as I had bought an extra box for this purpose based on the results of other testers with this ammo in their rifles. Got it on at 25 yards to start and then moved out to 50. The scope's paralax only goes down to 50, so was easier to see the target at that distance. Forgot to take the Bog Pod with me so that I could chrony each load to verify velocities in this rifle!

Results are as follows:
Avg. Group size for 5, 5 shot groups @ 50 yards, with a 5 shot group after cleaning, before moving on to the 5 group test
26 degrees Celsius with crosswinds of 6-10kmh

Eley Club @ 0.451" local cost $15/box
Eley Team @ 0.447" local cost $23/box
Eley Match @ 0.483" local cost $28/box
Eley Tenex @ 0.444" local cost $38/box
Lapua Center-X @ 0.451" local cost $29/box
SK Long Range @ 0.452" (smallest group of day @ 5 shots @ 50 yards @ 0.244") local cost $15/box
Norma Match @ 0.551" local cost $27/box
(Overall avg. group size @ 0.477" centre-to-centre)
Note: between my eyes and the occasional shot I pulled, group size could definitely be better, but this is on me, not the rifle, scope or ammo.

So for the accuracy to cost performance, the Eley Club fairs very well, with the SK Long Range Match trailing right behind that by 0.001" at the same cost!

While the Eley Tenex wins for overall accuracy today, with the nicest one hole groups, it only beats the Club by 0.007" at an increased cost of $23/box more! That is $0.46/round more for 0.007" improved group size .

So I will be using th Eley Club for shooting in this rifle for now, as I am not planning on competition. And I just found a source here in Canada where I can get 500 round packs for $112.99, reducing costs for practicing and shooting even further!

My groups got better as I got used to the rifle, cheek weld and trigger today, so I may see more improvement in the Club group sizing as I go (since I shot it first). Looking forward to spending more time with this rifle! One hole groups at 50 yards with a 22 LR is very gratifying!

Overall impressions of the rifle and scope are good so far.
Rifle cycles nice, and will get smoother with use. The trigger has no creep and breaks cleanly. The magazines are easy to load, insert and eject from the action.
The barrel never got warm while shooting groups and only had breaks between changing magazines, and cleaning between ammo types.
The scope's glass is clear and adjustments are smooth and easy to perform, with a good feel.

P.S.
Guy; if you're talking to Gavin, let him know that his Youtube review on this rifle was helpful in purchasing this rifle and in setting it up for shooting at 50 yards. I look forward to stretching it out to 100 yards and beyond as I gain more experience with this rig!

Got out to range today with this rifle again, and brought the chrony this time to test ammo for velocity, ES and SD, measured 12" from the muzzle.
Also picked up 3 different types of RWS target ammo.
26 degrees C with winds 6-10 kmh.
Again, shot a group after cleaning before shooting 5, 5 shot groups @ 50 yards. Results are as follows:
Ammo Avg. Group Size FPS ES SD Notes
Eley Club 0.550" 1093 27 10 New Avg group size 0.501" (10, 5 shot groups)
Eley Team 0.359" 1080 18 9 New Avg group size 0.403"
Eley Match 0.394" 1085 15 6 New Avg group size 0.493"
Eley Tenex 0.556" 1100 12 5 New Avg group size 0.500"
Lapua Center-X 0.325" 1049 9 4 New Avg group size 0.388"
Norma Match 0.451" 1085 15 7 New Avg group size 0.501"
RWS Target Rifle 0.552" 1099 19 7 $12/ox
RWS Rifle Match 0.580" 1081 19 7 $15/box
RWS Special Match 0.404" 1083 9 4 $20/box
SK Long Range Match 0.372" 1092 15 6 New Avg group size 0.412" shot smallest group of day again @ 0.250"
(Corrected velocities)

Last edited:
Quick question:
When setting up chrony 12' from muzzle, is their an average foot per second of loss for this 12 feet to determine true 22 LR muzzle velocity?
(trying to determine for dope for longer distances)

Found a formula online that says you multiply distance in feet by 0.75 and add to recorded velocity.
So, 12' x 0.75 = 9fps + 1084fps = 1093 fps

Last edited:
I just noticed your question .

I " THINK " the reason a chrony is set up around 12 feet in front of the muzzle is for the blast . I'm betting the chrony could be set up very close , or right at the muzzle on a 22 rimfire .
a couple of my centerfire rifles without muzzle brakes would blow the skyscreens off at 12 feet , I was setting up farther away in the 15 - 18 ft range . 12 ft worked with all my braked rifles .

now the reason I dug up your thread .
how are you doing with the FFP scope ? are you liking it ? does the reticle growing and shrinking hinder your shooting , or dictate the power your using ? I've never used a FFP scope . I'm wanting a scope with more elevation , than the one I'm using . I've found one that only comes in FFP , but seems to have everything else I'm looking for . I'm a little hesitant on buying it because of the FFP . I'm not sure if I can power the scope down low , and still see the reticle good enough to shoot small at 50 yards .

Just yesterday I got around to my long range 22 project. The Leupold VXII 4-12x40mm turret was maxed out at 250 yards so I made a shim from an aluminum sparkling water can to fit underneath the rear base. I reassembled the base, mounted the scope and got my 100 yard zero.
Dialed for 250 yard and fine tuned my adjustments. It's good to go with enough adjustment left over to get me pretty close to 300 yards. Of course a 30mm tube would be better.
It was pretty windy yesterday so my hits were scattered on the 250 yard gong. I also had several misses but it was still a ton of fun.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_160206442.jpg
    IMG_20230710_160206442.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230710_154938812.jpg
    IMG_20230710_154938812.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3

I " THINK " the reason a chrony is set up around 12 feet in front of the muzzle is for the blast . I'm betting the chrony could be set up very close , or right at the muzzle on a 22 rimfire .
a couple of my centerfire rifles without muzzle brakes would blow the skyscreens off at 12 feet , I was setting up farther away in the 15 - 18 ft range . 12 ft worked with all my braked rifles .

how are you doing with the FFP scope ? are you liking it ? does the reticle growing and shrinking hinder your shooting , or dictate the power your using ? I've never used a FFP scope . I'm wanting a scope with more elevation , than the one I'm using . I've found one that only comes in FFP , but seems to have everything else I'm looking for . I'm a little hesitant on buying it because of the FFP . I'm not sure if I can power the scope down low , and still see the reticle good enough to shoot small at 50 yards .
I have several FFP scopes and as the power goes up so does the reticle thickness. More the power the thicker it gets. 50 yds would be doable.

Just seeing this now Gil, really nice set up you have there. Eventually I'm going to get a scope I can dial with and put it on my CZ 452, it currently has a 2.5-7x32 Weaver which is a nice scope but not for longer ranges. Looks like a ton of fun and inexpensive as well!

I've had the grandson for a week , he goes home tomorrow . we're taking an easy morning this morning . yesterday we went shooting our 22's . like all you guys have said , it's a bunch of fun . if you haven't done it , you're missing out . it was windy yesterday , a steady , full value, right to left . I had 5 moa of wind correction dialed on my scope at 200 yards . we spent time out to 200 yards , after that it was too windy to get consistent hits . Carter went 15 hits in a row @200 yards , with my gun . I set his gun up at 150 yards , and had him holding for wind . his only has a 3-9 scope , with STD turrets . the six inch plate at 150 yards is getting small on 9 power . my thoughts are , to buy a scope with more elevation for my gun , and put my scope on his .

Carter @ 200 .jpg 100 yards.jpg 150 yards.jpg 200 yards.jpg

I also had him driving my buggy . first time he has drove anything . I had to get a pic to send his Mom & Dad .

Carter driving buggy .jpg

So far I am liking the scope! It is different than the SFP scopes I am used to and takes a little bit to get adjusted to how much the reticle changes with the power setting...pretty much needs to be at the higher power settings for really being able to see it well.
Not what I would want on a hunting rifle. (But this is just me, I believe) I can understand the advantages for PRS and long range shooting, but would not want it for an all-around hunting rifle set up where most of my shooting is still done at closer distances (average shot distance on all game taken over 38 years is 137 yards). I also understand the desire for larger diameter tubes to provide additional elevation adjustments...but again, not a slim, light scope I would want on a hunting rifle that may go into steep, rough terrain or mountain hunting where it is carried more than it is packed.

Will be fine for use on this target rifle. Now, I know that I would have preferred to get a scope that was able to adjust the parallax down to 25 yards and not just 50 as this one does. And once I start stretching out to 300 yards, more magnification than 15 power may be a good thing. We'll see...but for now, it will serve its purpose.

I have gotten hold of Burris' technical side to ask for assistance in determining actual drops for the corresponding BDC points of the reticle with the 22LR ammo. (They were quick to respond to my e-mail, with an e-mail response; I would have preferred a call to be able to get more assistance to all of my questions.)
The preferred RWS Special Match 40gr ammo @ 1083 fps with the crosshair zeroed at 50 yards will provide for the lower holds for 65 yards, 87 yards, 106 yards and 127 yards at my local range (2100' asl, 29 hg Pressure, 78 degrees F, and humidity of 70%) with this info input into their calculator.
From here I still need to figure out for dialing the turret for elevations out to 300 yards...which requires a come up of 44.4 MOA for the 139.4" of bullet drop. So until then, I will be happy to continue working within these shooting distances and practicing on my shooting form, trigger control and group size. Can already feel the benefits of this additional practice!

My long range rimfire is a tikka T1x in a KRG bravo chassis. I tipped it with a us optics t12 scope. They were having a really good sale in these at the time at euro optics. The optic had proven to be extremely reliable as to adjustment. The down side is the lack of a zero stop. It is very easy to get lost in the dial if you’re not careful.

I tested many different types of standard velocity ammo and settled on cci standard as the best value ammo and SK pistol match is best overall. Testing was done with 5 shot 50 yard groups and 10 shot 100 yard groups.

I even bought the Hornady rim thickness comparator, and sorted my ammo by weight and rim thickness. I didn’t see that much of a difference at 50 or 100 yards but it does seem to help at 200 and 300 yards. I bought some very this steel gongs to help make longer hits more noticeable. At 300 and beyond it’s much easier to shoot a saw horse with clay pigeons mounted in close pins.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpeg
    IMG_1815.jpeg
    470.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1816.jpeg
    IMG_1816.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1835.jpeg
    IMG_1835.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1728.jpeg
    IMG_1728.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1728.jpeg
    IMG_1728.jpeg
    667.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1722.jpeg
    IMG_1722.jpeg
    621.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1802.jpeg
    IMG_1802.jpeg
    577.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1817.jpeg
    IMG_1817.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 9
neither of the scopes I have on the 22's have a zero stop . mine is easy , I turn the turret down until it stops and bring it back up to "0" , that's 50 yards . the grandsons I won't go past 1 full turn on the turret , so I don't get lost . we shot again Tuesday afternoon . it was very windy , and it was gusty . Carter still did good at 150 yards . I shot 200 . I shot the last 7 or 8 shots at 250 ,getting 4 1/2 hits . one was a nipper . at 250 yards the steel gong barley moves on impact . I might cut some thin plate for gongs at our longer distances , thanks for the tip .

Back