Finn Aaggard load

Alaska

Handloader
Aug 20, 2006
I just got up from my Reloading Bench this morning I loaded up 20 rounds of one of my favorite rounds to reload and hunt with ….300 Win Mag.
I expended several rounds at the new range in Fairbanks and I needed to replace for next years moose hunt. Kinda got carried away shooting…..usually very conservative in ammo management.
The late Finn Aaggard favorite load in his 300 Win Mag.

I use a upgraded bullet the 180gr Nosler Partition Gold and IMR 4831 @ 74.0 with WLR primers in WW brass.

Jack Carter another rifleman with a fantastic history.
Seasoned I like that ! Sounds like steak ready for the grill !
I have used Finn load for years in my 300 Win
74.0 of IMR 4831 with 180 Nosler AB (Finn used BT)
WLR primer in WW cases. I am out of Accubonds and have a box of Partition Golds 180 I have had for years hoarding. It’s time in my life to bring them out to use !

Last edited:
Jack Carter and his Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet is a story everyone of a ripe age should know. The TBBC was for years one of my favourite bullets. I purchased them directly from Jack down in Houston, TX.

Another bullet that comes into my mind is the Bitterroot Bullet. Vern Speer would not except his bullet design as a employee he quit and started making his own bullets in a one man operation at his home. I called him years ago and kept leaving messages on his phone. Finally his grandson called back and said he passed away and they were selling all his reloading bullet making equipment.
DR Mike
I still have 100 of those old Nosler Part 200gr .308 Semi Round Nose that was turned on a lathe the old way……hate to shoot them!

Last edited:
Another bullet that comes into my mind is the Bitterroot Bullet. Vern Speer would not except his bullet design as a employee he quit and started making his own bullets in a one man operation at his home. I called him years ago and kept leaving messages on his phone. Finally his grandson called back and said he passed away and they were selling all his reloading bullet making equipment.
DR Mike
I still have 100 of those old Nosler Part 200gr .308 Semi Round Nose that was turned on a lathe the old way……hate to shoot them!
Scotty here went on a scrounging binge a few years ago for Bitterroot Bullets and amassed a fair quantity of them. :)

Guy

Scotty here went on a scrounging binge a few years ago for Bitterroot Bullets and amassed a fair quantity of them. :)

Guy
I have not seen a Bitterroot Bullet at the local gun show here in 20 years. If I remember he only sold like 25 each in plastic if I remember correctly ! His method of bonding the bullet was crud in oven but it worked. He left Speer about the same time the GrandSlam was introduced I wonder if that was because he left.

"I still have 100 of those old Nosler Part 200gr .308 Semi Round Nose that was turned on a lathe the old way……hate to shoot them!"

I'd love to find a supply of that bullet. My Ruger #1B .300 Win. Mag. with put three into .375" and five into .50" day in and day out. I still have some ammo loaded up about 15, maybe 20 years ago with those bullets. Maybe 20 rounds left. Too bad Nosler dropped them. It's also too bad I didn't stock up but when it came to me that Nosler had dropped them, they were all gone.
Paul B.

I don’t know I have not shot any ……I loaded some up years ago and pulled the bullets. They did look like they were at home with 76.0 of H4831 in my 300 win Mag with 200gr Part . Did I tell you all how much I love reloading ? They should give me acre of land in Bend, Oregon. Between Leupold and Nosler I have spent a lot of money toward Oregon.

Last edited:
Back