First Work with IMR 8208 XBR

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I worked up a couple of loads for the 257 Bob using IMR 8208 XBR which I was able to shoot yesterday. Initial results were not spectacular. I used the data supplied by Hodgdon on their web site for the 115 grain PT. As velocity increased, groups tightened from 2.5 inches until I was at approximately one inch with a maximum charge. Temperatures were around -12 C and there was no wind.

I have some other IMR 8208 XBR loads for the Bob which I'll shoot in the next couple of weeks. Being a somewhat fast powder, I'll focus on light for calibre bullets, especially in the WSMs and in the 280 and 30-06.

I did find one hunting load for the 257 Roberts consisting of 110 grain ABs and RL19. Across the spectrum of charges, all groups for this loading were right at one inch, which though not spectacular are more than adequate for hunting purposes. Velocity was very good throughout for these.

Whilst shooting yesterday, I sighted in my Model 94 that I had rescoped with a 30mm Kahles scope. I was shooting some 180 grain Speer FN. The groups were between 1 and 1.5 inches, and the velocities were approaching 2700 fps. I believe this could be an excellent deer load. Usually for black bear, I carry a 220 grain Speer FN that gives me 0.75 to 1 inch groups at a velocity approaching 2300 fps, and for elk and moose I carry a 250 grain Kodiak FN that gives me consistent 3/4 inch groups at a velocity of 2100 fps.

DrMike

Thanks for the range report. With the 257 Roberts, do you think adjusting COL might yield better accuracy?
This spring I am going to continue my work with the 110 gr AB and RL 22 along with H/IMR 4350.
My rifle is a M700 Classic long action so I can seat bullets out to 3.00".

JD338

JD338,

I have the Remington CDL SF Limited Edition. I set these are .020 inch off the lands, which required me to single feed them as they don't fit the magazine. Remington magazines have always presented me with a challenge.

COAL is limited by the magazine depth. I'm thinking of milling the magazine which should permit me a few thousandths, or waiting for the E-Tip and working up loads with that. I have several boxes of the E-Tips on order. In the interim, I may work with the 100 grain TTSX and/or the TSX to work on load development.

I bet those 180gr Speer Flat noses would be great for deer in your 356. Sounds like it is a very accurate rifle. I saw a M94 Angle Eject 30-30 today that was in very good shape, but didn't feeling like dragging it home. If it was a 356 or 307, then I would have brought that home! Scotty

I'm thinking that the 180s will prove deadly on deer. I know that the 220 and the 250 grain bullets work very well.

Just wondering if because Hodgdon considers this a BR powder does the price reflect. I was thinking of picking some up and re-do a work up for my 6.5 Grendel to see if I can get a better case fill and sqeeze a little more accuracy out of her. The articals I have read on this stuff is very good but as far as the masses, it's just another powder you have to tweak the hell out of. They're making it sound like it's some magical powder or something.

I guess they had to come up with something for the 2010 shot show!

DrMike
Out of ignorance, my understanding of IMR was that the higher the number the slower the burn. IE 7828 is slow and used in huge cases or long barrels for maximum velocities.
The 257 Bob is a medium case that would, in my understanding, take a faster powder. Please enlighten me :grin:
Greg

Greg,

I used IMR data pulled from the Hodgdon web site. Actually, IMR 8208 XBR is a relatively fast powder. I really can't say where their numbering arose for this particular powder. It is my understanding that this powder has been used for some time in Bench Rest competition, but has finally been released as canister powder.

This quote is from the IMR web site:
IMR 8208 XBR The latest in the versatile IMR line of fine propellants, this accurate metering, super short grained extruded rifle powder was designed expressly for match, varmint, and AR sniper cartridges. Ideally suited for cartridges like the 223 Remington/5.56mm, 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO and the 6mm PPC.

It appears to be fairly fast, with a burn rate approximating IMR 4895. Consequently, it works in smaller capacity cases and in larger capacity cases works with lighter bullets. Until I have more data, I'm treating it as a medium fast powder for load development.

Greg, for some reason, the Bob shoots extremely well with the slow burners like H-4831 and Reloder 22 with the 110 and larger bullets. I've even used Re 22 with 100 grainers to some success.

I don't know if any other .25 cal folks have had the same experience, but I have found the 110 AccuBond to be one of the most finicky bullets for seating depth of any bullet I've tried. It has proved so in both my Bob and my 25-06. Seating depth has made a world of difference in both case. With both liking a bit of starting room.

If 8208 is roughly equivalent to 4895, it should be good powder to try when Nosler lets loose those 100 etips.

You might find this review of IMR 8208 XBR of interest.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/imr-8208-xbr-review-1.php

As with any powder for which there is little data, the hand loader is on his/her own and needs to exercise caution. Start low and work up slowly. All that I read and my own experience indicates that small increments make big changes in velocity, which translate to exaggerated differences in pressure. It does appear to be a consistent burning powder, however.

Bruce, your observation of the sensitivity of seating depth for the 110 AB is interesting. I'll take a hard look at this and play with seating depth as I continue to work with this bullet. I am anticipating that the E-Tip may be a good bullet for this particular powder.

DrMike, if all else fails you might try the 117 or 100 gr Sierra BTS. The bullet is shorter than a ballistic tip or AccuBond and can be loaded to near land position without going over lenght in a Remington short magazine. My rifle is the 700 classic like JD338s. It was cut with a tad longer freebore and its a long action to boot.

Bruce Mc":2gj23fxf said:
My rifle is the 700 classic like JD338s. It was cut with a tad longer freebore and its a long action to boot.

Life is good! :lol:

JD338

Mine is a short action with the receiver/mag well cut out milled out an additional .100/.200 (cant remember) forward and a custom mag well box bent up mounted in a S/A stock. An experiment gone well.

My experince with my 257's, they love the 4350 stuff.

Rod

Bruce,

I did try the Sierra 117 grain, but the groups were not spectacular.

I found a suggestion that the IMR8208 is ADI AR2219 repackaged for IMR. The load data and burn rates appear to be similar enough that this may in fact be the case. In any case, it gives me an avenue to explore as there is extensive work through ADI with this powder. Also, those who are putting data online indicate that they are beginning with a moderate charge as indicated for H4895, which provides a place to explore. Again, working from a low and working up in gentle increments should yield some evidence of whether this is reasonable or not. I'll continue working on this powder and report what I find. As it stands now, I believe it may be a good powder for the .358 and/or the .356. It certainly holds promise in the .223 and for accuracy in AR-type cartridges.

It might be interesting if it works in the 358 also. Wonder if it works as a heavier bullet propellant or the lighter end of the spectrum? Scotty

Back