Kimber 338 Federal

You did the 338 Federal justice with that buck, Scotty. I was toting my 338 Federal last evening when a good whitetail buck came in. Unfortunately, I lost him in the gathering darkness, so he walked. Later, I hope to see him again.
Hopefully he comes out again before the season is over. Wishing you all the best on your hunt.

Very excellent. I really love the hot cors personally. I've taken to working a load with them in most of my rifles. An inexpensive and accurate bullet that I can practice with all off season and not worry about if I don't get re-zeroed with the "premiums" for a hunt on a whim. Just grab and go shoot stuff.
The 338 Federal has also been on my list for a couple years at this point. Pretty sure I'm going to have my smith put one together on a donor 700 action I have from a late 2000s .243 that I could never get to shoot worth sh$%. I'm thinking a 20" barrel with a can would be a a fun and effective 200 and in rifle.
My rebarreled Winchester Model 88 in 338 Federal has a 20" Krieger SS barrel on it and shoots the Federal Premium 210 gr Partition ammo into 1" groups at 100 yards. I still need to chrony this ammo in this rifle to see how fast it is going. The caribou bull I shot at 158 yards didn't seem to find the velocity wanting as he went down on the spot!
2016 Caribou.JPEG

I'd say the rifle/ammo combination works very well indeed, Gil. Good show.

My rebarreled Winchester Model 88 in 338 Federal has a 20" Krieger SS barrel on it and shoots the Federal Premium 210 gr Partition ammo into 1" groups at 100 yards. I still need to chrony this ammo in this rifle to see how fast it is going. The caribou bull I shot at 158 yards didn't seem to find the velocity wanting as he went down on the spot!
View attachment 21511
Beautiful bull Gil, congratulations!

JD338

You did the 338 Federal justice with that buck, Scotty. I was toting my 338 Federal last evening when a good whitetail buck came in. Unfortunately, I lost him in the gathering darkness, so he walked. Later, I hope to see him again.
Mike, I do not recall your preferred load in the 338 Federal; can you share it again?

Very excellent. I really love the hot cors personally. I've taken to working a load with them in most of my rifles. An inexpensive and accurate bullet that I can practice with all off season and not worry about if I don't get re-zeroed with the "premiums" for a hunt on a whim. Just grab and go shoot stuff.
The 338 Federal has also been on my list for a couple years at this point. Pretty sure I'm going to have my smith put one together on a donor 700 action I have from a late 2000s .243 that I could never get to shoot worth sh$%. I'm thinking a 20" barrel with a can would be a a fun and effective 200 and in rifle.
I think that would be an excellent rifle. I like the cartridge enough. I will refine my loads a little more for next year. I have always been happy with Speers myself.

I was hoping to know that 338 of yours was out and about!

I took a note from Jim about carrying deer back to the truck.

I have also enjoyed the 338 Federal for years. Found the 185 TSX with a stiff load of TAC shoot very well
in my Sako and Tikka. The chrono shows 2745 fps.

Multiple black bears take with this load and they tend to not go very far!!!!

Just this month, I have been experimenting with 200 gr AB and E-tip, but the TSX load is just too good.

The group from today that convinced me to just stay with the TSX.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 4
I have also enjoyed the 338 Federal for years. Found the 185 TSX with a stiff load of TAC shoot very well
in my Sako and Tikka. The chrono shows 2745 fps.

Multiple black bears take with this load and they tend to not go very far!!!!

Just this month, I have been experimenting with 200 gr AB and E-tip, but the TSX load is just too good.

The group from today that convinced me to just stay with the TSX.
That's a dandy load, I need to try and give that one a whirl in mine.

Anyone try AR Comp in their 338 Federal with 200 gr AccuBonds? (or Trophy Bonded Tips?)
The tech at the Federal Custom Shop said this was a great powder for them with the 200 gr Trophy Bonded Tip bullets and recommended trying it with the AccuBonds. Best results when velocity is at 2650 fps.
While we won't be getting anymore of this powder in Canada, there is a guy close by with a few pounds I could get.

I haven’t tried it but can’t see why it wouldn’t work great.

Back