Little range time with 6.5 Creed

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Finally broke open that Berger Hybrid 500 round box that i had since July 2023, been shooting the Hornady ELDM 147's long enough out of the 6.5 Creed, they do shoot good, but I'm a Hybrid fan for ELR. The 147's would be a great deer load anyway, I would continue to use them. Checked my old notes from a few years ago, here is an old picture of a 3 shot group @ 300 yards with 140 Hybrids. Last load used a few years ago was 42.4 grains H4350 / 140 Hybrids.
knSNQSml.jpg

Last night I prepped 4 groups of 3 rounds, 41.4, 41.7, 42.0 and 42.2 grains of H4350 lit with a Fed 210M. .090" off the lands as per my old notes. Recorded speeds on a P35, overcast sky.
1.) 2738, 2749, 2740 ( one was a fouler after cleaning )
2.) 2760, 2735, 2744
3.) 2772, 2769, 2768
4.) 2785, 2785, 2786
gfCYulRl.jpg

kBxNE8F.jpg

I like the last two groups, i think i pulled on the last shot, where the flyer went a little left, I'll settle between 42 and 42.2 grains. 3 shot group is roughly .100" @100. I'm happy as a kid in a candy store. The 2nd group is nice as well, indeed a one hole group, but it seems like its out of plane from the last two groups which is on a straight line.
Last picture is single target using the 308 with 178 grain ELDM and Varget, speeds recorded is 2729, 2732 and 2730 using 43.7 grains of Varget and BR2 primers. It's a great hunting load. Had used this load a few years ago on whitetails.
xGVmyc1l.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you're there. Just a few clicks east and you will be good to go.
Nice work Mark.

JD338

I don't normally expect to see such tight groups and low ES when loading .090" off the rifling. Good job loading/shooting.

You may as well turn your range pass back in - looks like you're done for the season. LOL

It's been a few years since I read my Creed / Hybrid notes, I have been playing with the 143 / 147 ELD's since then. I normally start at .005" off the lands and when I seated the first loaded round, only the junction of the base / boat tail seated halfway in the neck , it took my by surprise and I was thinking " where the hell did all those lands go? " With .001" neck tension, it don't sit right with me, so when I looked at my old notes, I had written down the old ogive measurement and the total was .090" off. So I seated to .090" off and at that setting the junction of the base / boat tail was right at the edge of the lower neck / shoulder junction where I like it to be. Happy I found the perfect node in one trip. Next trip I'll be testing them on steel at 725 yards. Will post results soon as weather cooperates. I'll bring the 308 along and test the heavy178 ELD-M's at the same distance as well. Thanks for the compliments guys.

Your copious notes seem to provide you with all the pertinent information needed to crank out excellent loads from the gate.
I need to do a better job!

JD338

It is strange that the other bullets like ELD X -and M and the 120 Ballistic Tips that I have used are seated .005" off the lands and are fully seated in the neck, its the opposite with the Hybrids. Haven't tried the 140 Ballistic Tips yet. Yet still need to try them, it won't be because I'm stuck with the Hybrids at the moment. :love:

Your copious notes seem to provide you with all the pertinent information needed to crank out excellent loads from the gate.

JD338
Yep, I got that little spiral notebook from when I started reloading. We all tend to forget things at our age. o_O

JD338
After handoading with the good Dr for a number of years, I too have learned to do a better job of taking notes for my handloading and each loads performance. Still not at the same level as Mike, but definitely better than I used to.

I actually created a spreadsheet for my loads.
Each cartridge has its own tab. I include rifle details, including serial number.
Loads have notes which includes MV, es, SD and coal. Favorite loads are color highlighted.
There's always room for improvement though.

JD338

Back