Makeover done-35 Whelen

billbam

Beginner
Dec 12, 2010
Picked up my old 30-06 which was redone to the 35 Whelen. Couple guys here, no names mentioned (Scotty, Dr Mike, …) got me interested over a year ago. Went with a Shilen #3, presently at 23”. We put it in a McMillan Mountian Rifle stock. I went with 50 med tan, 25 olive, 25 black. I’m going to mount a Minox 2-10 with #4 reticle in Talleys on it and see how that works.
I don’t have the scope mounted yet, but it seems to handle well and feels light. I was trying to get it between 8-8 ½ lbs and it seems to be right there. I’m going to try to mount the scope over the weekend and try to get out to the range next week and see how things work out. This is going to be my primary with my 300 as back up in October in Colorado.
I’ll try to get better pic’s when the scope is mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_0341 [800x600].jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 888
She looks great! I don't know how much you might have shot a Whelen before, but I got my first over 20 yrs ago. It is my favorite cartridge and a much more versatile round than most give it credit for being. I've owned four rifles in .35W over the years, still have two and am wanting at least one more to round out my mediums.

I'll bet she will shoot just as good as she looks and I'll be interested to see your range reports!

The rifle looks great, Bill. I'm certain target development will be fascinating and fulfilling.

Bill, that rifle looks awesome! Very nice work. I can't wait to hear about your range reports. That is a very sharp looking stock as well. I think you will like the Minox 2-10 with the #4 as well. I plan on ordering another one of them very shortly myself. It'll be my 4th one. I can't find anything bad about them when mounted up nicely.

What are you planning to shoot out of your Whelen for Colorado?

I think Gerry is going to like the looks of that rifle alot.

Like Mike and the others said, can't wait to see the range report..

Bill,

Very sharp looking rifle!
With the right load, you have a 400 yd elk hammer. Stock up on RL 15, its the powder to use in the 35 Whelen.
What bullet are you going to use?

JD338

That is a great looking gun, it should be a tack driver. McSwirly's are really cool, need to put one on the 375 one day.

Oh, and welcome to the club. :grin: It is great company of obvious knowledgeable individuals whom you have now joined (said Mike modestly).

billbam":2mbu2v7n said:
Couple guys here, no names mentioned (Scotty, Dr Mike, …) got me interested

There's quite a few Whelen pimps around here... The previously mentioned pair of enablers, JD, Gerry, me...

That is one good looking 35 Whelen :)
Welcome to the club looking forward to the range report
With photos of course.

Blessings,
Dan

BK":zoxcx68t said:
billbam":zoxcx68t said:
Couple guys here, no names mentioned (Scotty, Dr Mike, …) got me interested

There's quite a few Whelen pimps around here... The previously mentioned pair of enablers, JD, Gerry, me...

Is it that obvious? :mrgreen:

JD338

Thanks guys. I was trying to keep track of all the Whelen talk and have a good idea where I'm going to go. I am going to work with the 225AB and 250 Part with R15 and see how things go from there. I'm thinking of going with the 225's for Colorado.
Scotty, I picked up the Minox after seeing all the positive comments from you and the others. Thanks for the assist. I was going to try to get out Monday but I "pulled the pin" at work and am trying to get some things settled. It may have to wait a week. :(

Either of those two loads will get it done for sure! I am glad you got your rifle built and finished in time for CO.

Bill,

The bullets you chose will deliver a frightful blow to game and put them down with real authority from your Whelen. The Minox is a fine scope; it will serve you well for many years to come.

I've got about 90 rounds through this now and looks like I'm going to go with the AB225 with 60.5 of R-15. That shot the best. I shot the 225 Part and was playing with the OL but I am getting short on them. The 60 load shot the best with them but I need to redo that and the 60.5 again. I'll play with them later. My chrono should be back next week so I'll try then to see where I'm at with this load. The Minox is pretty nice also with very good eyerelief. I'm pretty happy how this turned out. Now hopefully she will get her chance in Colorado.

Attachments

• IMG_0357 [800x600].jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 351
Nice.
You are going to be impressed with the on game performance of the 35 Whelen. It hits hard, really hard.

JD338

Bill, that is a very handsome rifle. The Minox will serve you well.

She is a very good looking lady. I think you have a great hunting rifle. Look out if something crosses your path in Colarado:) she will hit hard :)

Blessings,
Dan

Back