People other than Weatherby Can do Weatherby

rodell

Handloader
Dec 23, 2013
I did some work with OCW and then played a little with seating depth with my Blaser R8 and a 257 Weatherby barrel. This is one of the 100 yard groups. I think I'll take this one to the field this year for Montana whitetails.

Target1.jpg

Yeah, that might work. :grin: Fine group. As Fotis asked, what was your velocity?

I will have to chrono it next time out. I really didn't expect to zero in (!) so quickly so I didn't have the instrument with me.

I had a weatherby vangaurd in .257 I reloaded for but I never got it to shoot that well. I am not a big fan of thier free bored chamber. I do have 3 weatherby accumarks .280, 308, and a 7mm. I will never part with. That is a great group, good shooting.

3350 fps, according to my Magnetospeed. It was pretty consistent, too. I was shooting the same small groups as before, so the loads check out.

I find the Barnes to shoot a little slower than some of the others. A few fps is not substitute for a good group, though.

Good shooting!!.

BTW. I met up with a guy last week in SA who borrowed a Blaser R8 rifle in Botswana for all his hunting up there. He stated it was on of the slickest rifles he had ever shot with.
I have not head of an inaccurate Blaser rifle yet. Love to buy one one day.

Rigbymauser":3v37bsmd said:
Good shooting!!.

BTW. I met up with a guy last week in SA who borrowed a Blaser R8 rifle in Botswana for all his hunting up there. He stated it was on of the slickest rifles he had ever shot with.
I have not head of an inaccurate Blaser rifle yet. Love to buy one one day.

I fired two quick shots at a running blackbuck in Argentina and the PH's remark was "Holy xxxx, I thought it was an automatic"! (Yes, I anchored the animal!)

All of my Blasers shoot well, but they aren't magical. They will do around 1 MOA pretty much with anything reasonable for a load, but to wring the most out of them you need to do some load development.

I have barrels in .204 Ruger, .243, .257 Weatherby, 6.5x55, .30-06, .300 Weatherby, .338 Win Mag and 9.3x62. I enjoy doing the load development.

Back