Rechamber from 7 RM to 7 STW?

I lived in KS for the first twenty-two years of my life. I never saw a deer and never saw a turkey. I was visiting around Newton about 1978 when I encountered a deer which picking sand plums with my mother. I couldn't believe my eyes. If I didn't live where I do, I might have to give serious consideration to moving back there.

Mike, I agree with your decision. You could always make a trip to visit Kansas. I had a career opportunity in Whistler a decade or so ago. Not going to complain with the direction I took, but sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I turned that job down.

DrMike, it was the same for me when I was a youngster, hunting deer in Maine and Quebec. These places were, at that time, scorched earth! No edible animal over two pounds did not get poached, trapped or shot for somebody's stew pot. The same was true for Moose, especially in Quebec.

A live Moose spotting mobilized entire counties into action and massive Moose drives until the animal was harvested.

That rifle does look to be all business. I will be looking forward to your work with it. Which bullet are you thinking of working with?

I started working up 160g Accubonds last year and they were showing promise. Also considering looking at 168g LRAB, and 168g and 180g VLD hunting.

Those will work very well. My hunting partner shoots 160 grain AccuBonds in his 7 STW. It is very accurate and reaches out there quite well to tag game.

I've had two 7 STWs, a Sendero and a Mod 70 Sporter. The Sendero preferred the 140 NBT and the Mod 70 preferred 160's. Both took a while and a lot of work to get there though, no biggy, lots of fun and I learned a lot while doing it. Being an old Bob Hagel fan myself, I was talking the other day with my smith buddy about the Mashburn Super mag. My smith told me he had a 7mm/300 Weatherby reamer on hand. Turns out a fellow a few years back wanted one and cost was no option. It was right at deer season too, so my smith obliged him, ended up with the reamer too. A little research shows 300 Weatherby brass is available from several sources, nut not 7 STW or 7 RUM or even 7 WSM that I can see. If I have another built, right now I's have to go with the 7mm/300 Bee. It is just like the 7 STW. Now the 28 Nosler looks good....:)

I have a custom 7mm Rem Mag which I don't use much any more. I am considering converting (or rebarreling) this to another cartridge. I have not figured out exactly what yet. Maybe a .300 H&H? Anyhow, I am thinking about it?

preacher":ptm6makk said:
I've had two 7 STWs, a Sendero and a Mod 70 Sporter. The Sendero preferred the 140 NBT and the Mod 70 preferred 160's. Both took a while and a lot of work to get there though, no biggy, lots of fun and I learned a lot while doing it. Being an old Bob Hagel fan myself, I was talking the other day with my smith buddy about the Mashburn Super mag. My smith told me he had a 7mm/300 Weatherby reamer on hand. Turns out a fellow a few years back wanted one and cost was no option. It was right at deer season too, so my smith obliged him, ended up with the reamer too. A little research shows 300 Weatherby brass is available from several sources, nut not 7 STW or 7 RUM or even 7 WSM that I can see. If I have another built, right now I's have to go with the 7mm/300 Bee. It is just like the 7 STW. Now the 28 Nosler looks good....:)

Don't overlook the Mashburn Super Mag Jim. It has been a very easy cartridge to work with and as you mentioned, Bob Hagel might help drift the bullets a little tighter as we squeeze the trigger.... :lol:

Plus, you can't beat using 300 Win Mag brass. Fairly available and most of it is pretty good. It has been one of my easiest to find speed and accuracy seems pretty decent with just a little work.

Charlie, the 300 H&H would be real cool in your old 7mm Rem. Hope you do something classic like that. I am sure you'd enjoy working with the old 300 again.

Well, here is the bughole I was waiting for.

160g AccuBond, 75.0g IMR 7828, Federal 215M, 0.060 off of the lands

20150502_170231a.jpg

Now to make a few more up to verify and chrono.

Also started workup on 168g LRAB today. Gonna need more work. Best group was 0.870.

I am thinking about it, Scotty? The .300 H&H would be an easy conversion for that 7mm Mag?

It would be Charlie although using a 300 H&H might get you into trouble around here :lol: Rechambering a 7mm Rem Mag would probably be the easiest route......

ksubuck":19yidgg9 said:
Well, here is the bughole I was waiting for.

160g AccuBond, 75.0g IMR 7828, Federal 215M, 0.060 off of the lands

Now to make a few more up to verify and chrono.

Also started workup on 168g LRAB today. Gonna need more work. Best group was 0.870.

Just go ahead and laminate that group to carry around for bragging rights. Fine riflery; you have every reason to be pleased.

I still have my STW after 21 years although I don't shoot it as much as I used to. It has been a fine cartridge and I actually spoke to RMR the other day about spinning on a new barrel the current one just won't quit but looks horrible viewed with the bolt removed. My son will try and shoot the riflings out of it. I say go for it.

gerry":aco8qzyp said:
It would be Charlie although using a 300 H&H might get you into trouble around here :lol: Rechambering a 7mm Rem Mag would probably be the easiest route......

I was shooting a .300 H&H before most of the people on this site were breathing! I don't know how anyone could take exception to a custom Mauser .300 H&H?

Back