Rem SPS 308

billbam

Beginner
Dec 12, 2010
I got a chance to shoot the REM SPS 308 with the 20” barrel during the week. I picked up the rifle for a beater due to the price I could get it for and put an old cheap scope on it. I broke the barrel in back in Sept last year but haven’t been able to get to the range for test loads.
Basically everything shot under 1”. I tried 168 TTSX, Nosler 165 AB, and Hornady 150’s interlocks all with Varget. Velocities were 2614 with TTSX, 2604 AB and 2704 with the Hornady’s. I used 45 grns with the 165,168’s and 46.5 with 150’s.
The bottom group is with the 308 and 168 TTSX. The top group was with the 30-06 with 57 grs of IMR4350 which needs work.
I think I’m going to use this rifle as a tree stand and practice gun, I like it.

Attachments

• DSCN0222 [800x600].jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,227
Sounds like you got a good one Bill. Those are all great bullets too. Sounds like a very economical practice rifle! Scotty

Billbam,

Looks as if you found a fine rifle that will fulfil your needs in a tree stand.

Nice pickup. When Big Green decides to do things right, magic happens!

I think I'd be looking at dumping that Tasco ASAP, though! (Although I guess a heavy barreled .308 probably doesn't kick that much.)

I have the same rifle and it's a shooter. It likes 49.0gr of Varget with 150 BTs or ABs.

023.jpg

I think the rifle is a sleeper. I had 2 other guys at work order one with me and they all shoot.

I’m going to replace the scope. I have a couple on the side and was waiting to see if I could pick up 2 other rifles if I can. Then I would straighten out the scopes.
You guys are a bad influence.
:grin:

billbam":1q12imko said:
You guys are a bad influence.
:grin:

Yeah, I know. I think I might be one of the worst victims, as well as an agitator. :)

Well, I shot with my guys doing some range work. I was good to about 350. I was shooting off a bipod which wound up flexing the stock into the barrel. So I let them do their thing and then just focused on the steel at 250-350 yards. This was going to be a beater. By the end of the week, I had a scope ordered (Vortex) and also the B&C stock. This shot well from the start but it just shoots everything well. Liking the scope a lot. Vortex HS 5x15 (Midway special) I've been running the Nosler CC 168's and Hornady 168 A-max. Both shoot very well. I'm probably going to have the floorplate changed and change the trigger, but for now its not bad. We are supposed to get the range in June for some long range work again, so hopefuuly I 'll get a chance to get more time on her.

Attachments

• IMG_0198 [800x600].jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 666
A-Max on the paper and Federal GMM 168 on the dot.

Attachments

• IMG_0197 [800x600].jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 665
We had steel set up to 850 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_0099 [800x600].jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 665
That is some fine shooting, Billbam. It looks as if you are dialed in. That is great that you have access to a range that permits you to shoot to that distance.

Nice!

Way back before the SPS version existed, I shot the heck out of my Rem 700 in .308 Win.

Even with the stock barrel, it delivered great accuracy. I won some matches, and did real well in others. Finally replaced the factory barrel after 4,000+ rounds, some dead critters and a lot of tight groups at the range. My standard load became a 168 gr Nosler over a pretty stout load of Varget.

You're doing great with yours!

Shot with the guys again and was able to hold our own even among some of the customs. Rifle shot well. Had a couple of issues. I was geting some pressure signs on the ammo. I wasn't running on the high side or long, so I was a little suprised. I stopped and spoke to the smith and left the rifle with him to tear apart and tune up. I also been having issues with the bolt release and ejecting. One of the other rifles that was bought with mine also had the same issue with ejecting. New trigger going in. He is going to do it in the next 2 weeks so that its done when we are supposed to try to get the range again within a month or so. While I was there, he showed me the barrel for the Whelen. Looks real good. The stock should be in any time now. (20 weeks) Still waiting...

Maybe the SPS is another sleeper like the Remington 748 of the 1960's and 1970's. Cheap rifle and shoots better than price would indicate. I had an early 1969 748 Remington in .22/250 Rem. It shot close to1/4 inch, 5-shot groups at 100 yards with 52 grain sierra match bullets and IMR 4064. I was astounded that a $80 rifle would do that!

Back