Shorter, lighter bullets in the 7mm PRC?

they make 7mm PRC's too .

if you're buying I'm sure the OP will take a STW , stinky turd wounder . if he's buying , I think HE should buy what HE wants .

I’d bet with the throat being held right to bullet diameter jump into the lands won’t be as big an issue as with older throats. Keeping the bullet from tipping while it engages the lands might make the small amount of jump into the lands a non issue.

I’ve jumped 6.5 Creeds and 6 Creeds quite far with some light bullets that had no chance of being seated close to the lands with pretty good results.

And Powerstroke, if the 160 AccuBond shoots, it’ll work. It’s gotta be one of the best 7mm bullets I’ve used through the years for elk.

they make 7mm PRC's too .

if you're buying I'm sure the OP will take a STW , stinky turd wounder . if he's buying , I think HE should buy what HE wants .
just putting out information, not bitching about someone else's post! I have saw many times the difference of bullet impacts on game between the 7mm RM and the STW, that 500 fps difference is incredible. Your post makes it plain there is 1 of 2 things going on, either you have zero experience with the STW, or you need to learn how to shoot. Which is it?

PS, I second the recommendation of using the 160 gr Ab for elk if it shoots well in your rifle.
But don't overlook the 160 gr SGK.
I have used the 160 and 165 gr SGK's in both the 7mm Rem Mag and 7MM STW on numerous elk over the years with great results, not to mention great accuracy in the rifles (Rem 700 LSS and custom Sako AV)
And then there is the newer 165 gr Game Changer...which should work as well as the 165 gr SGK that Federal only made and loaded in their old Federal Premium 7mm Rem Mag ammunition.
While you may not have used factory ammunition for hunting in the past...I wouldn't pass up the chance to hunt just for sake of it not being handloaded ammunition. The factory stuff works and the elk is just too tasty! Not to mention the memory of the adventure shared with family and/or friends!

just putting out information, not bitching about someone else's post! I have saw many times the difference of bullet impacts on game between the 7mm RM and the STW, that 500 fps difference is incredible. Your post makes it plain there is 1 of 2 things going on, either you have zero experience with the STW, or you need to learn how to shoot. Which is it?

500 fps difference? My goodness, not with respected "book" loads... They're more like 100 - 150 fps or so.

Guy

500 fps difference? My goodness, not with respected "book" loads... They're more like 100 - 150 fps or so.

Guy
according to my notes from 1996, my Bansner 26" UR1 was running 140's at 3550 fps, 162's at 3340, and 200's at 3010 fps. according to my chronograph.

according to my notes from 1996, my Bansner 26" UR1 was running 140's at 3550 fps, 162's at 3340, and 200's at 3010 fps. according to my chronograph.
Awesome! :)

My 26" 7mm Rem Mag, using IMR 8133 or other slow burning powders is doing:
140's @ 3200+ (approaching 3300 fps!)
160's @ 3050 - 3150 fps
175's @ 2900 fps

All quite useful. Which 200's were you using? I didn't even know there were 200 grain 7mm bullets!

Guy

Awesome! :)

My 26" 7mm Rem Mag, using IMR 8133 or other slow burning powders is doing:
140's @ 3200+ (approaching 3300 fps!)
160's @ 3050 - 3150 fps
175's @ 2900 fps

All quite useful. Which 200's were you using? I didn't even know there were 200 grain 7mm bullets!

Guy
wildcat 200 gr hp's, made by Richard Grove, he sold the company and the new owner let it fall by the wayside, he also made a .257 156 gr. hp excellent hunting bullets.

Doggone. It's a shame to lose something that was obviously so unique.

Anymore there are some 7mm bullets available up to 195 grain. But the pickings are few above 175 grains.

Guy

anyone have hodgdon #26, check out the 140 gr load for the STW with
h1000, then go to the reloading data center and check out data with H1000 and the 139/140 gr.
then ask yourself, what did hodgdon do to H1000.

anyone have hodgdon #26, check out the 140 gr load for the STW with
h1000, then go to the reloading data center and check out data with H1000 and the 139/140 gr.
then ask yourself, what did hodgdon do to H1000.
If I'm not mistaken, it was about temp stability

the max charge with a 140 was in 1992, 82 gr at 3494 fps, now its 85.5 at 3200 or something close to that. I always used 82 gr. at 3550 in my 26" 9 twist lilja, worked up to 84 gr. at 3640 and lost the pockets, baacked down to 82 and shot that load for years.

Old post. I know. Right off I want to ask everybody's forgiveness as I've been roasted for this before. But I have an observation to make.
I started loading rifle and pistol cartridges at 18 years old. I'm now 71. And most of those years I tried to just kiss the lands or load .010" off. Then when I got my Browning 300 Win. Mag. I carefully measured the chamber and loaded my first batch that were intended to be just off the lands. Imagine my surprise when none of them fit in the clip. They were way too long. I ended up seating them .150" + off the lands. How could these possibly shoot with any degree of accuracy?
I did a lot of shooting working up a elk load and a deer load, with a lot of notes and saved targets. All of which were lost when we moved. And the first thing I noticed was right at 100 rounds the rifle suddenly settled down and really tightened up the groups. Another thing I noticed was these rounds were all at least .150" off the lands. After finally getting the BOSS dialed in the rifle was a consistent .500" and under shooter. The tightest 3 shot group was .180", so much for worrying about the long bullet jump.
Subsequently I did a lot of seating depth testing with another rifle only this time I was concentrating on finding a good node. If I didn't find one by seating closer to the lands (I don't measure OAL, only distance to the lands measured with a bullet comparator) I would seat the bullets deeper until I found a node that gave good tight groups. My accuracy never suffered from a long jump as long as everything else about my loading process was correct.
I'm sure nobody remembers it but I posted several times with photos a few years back about my results.

Back