Loving the 7mm WSM - 322 Yard Heart Shot

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I few months ago I bought a 2006 era left-handed Winchester M70 chambered in 7mm WSM and I am loving it. Since I have a 300 WM shooting 180 gr. AB's for elk and a 7mm Rem. Mag. shooting 160 gr. AB's, I decided to make this into a dedicated deer and antelope rifle. It has had no work done on it other than adjusting the trigger pull.

While I was fire forming new Winchester brass, I found sub-moa loads with Hornady 154 gr. Interlok bullets and IMR 4831 and Sierra 150 gr. SBT (Game King) bullets and IMR 4831. Once I had once fired brass, I quickly found a load for 150 gr. Nosler BT's and Reloder 23. I found that all three of the above bullets liked a 0.020" bullet jump in this rifle.

Since I only have a couple of 150 gr. BT's left, and since everything was working so well, I decided to try some 150 ABLR's that I had purchased years ago. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Below is my first target with a 0.020" bullet jump.
DSCN1937.JPG
With three in one hole and one outlier I knew I was close. The magic touch was going to a 0.030" bullet jump.

DSCN1938.JPG

I am very happy with this and I think this will make a great deer load. :)

Dan

Last edited:
Older article by a fellow I know who was serious about his custom 7mm WSM rifle. Perhaps of interest?

Regards, Guy

Hope I can get as good results with my 7saum?
TexasLife, check out this write up. It sounds like some shooters have had great results with the 7 SAUM.

Dan

Older article by a fellow I know who was serious about his custom 7mm WSM rifle. Perhaps of interest?

Regards, Guy
Guy, great article. Dan

TexasLife, check out this write up. It sounds like some shooters have had great results with the 7 SAUM.

Dan
Thanks for that as I added to "saved" for reading it more times.

Regards, Guy
I saved this 1 also. Thanks!

I few months ago I bought a 2006 era left-handed Winchester M70 chambered in 7mm WSM and I am loving it. Since I have a 300 WM shooting 180 gr. AB's for elk and a 7mm Rem. Mag. shooting 160 gr. AB's, I decided to make this into a dedicated deer and antelope rifle. It has had no work done on it other than adjusting the trigger pull.

While I was fire forming new Winchester brass, I found sub-moa loads with Hornady 154 gr. Interlok bullets and IMR 4831 and Sierra 150 gr. SBT (Game King) bullets and IMR 4831. Once I had once fired brass, I quickly found a load for 150 gr. Nosler BT's and Reloder 23. I found that all three of the above bullets liked a 0.020" bullet jump in this rifle.

Since I only have a couple of 150 gr. BT's left, and since everything was working so well, I decided to try some 150 ABLR's that I had purchased years ago. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Below is my first target with a 0.020" bullet jump.
View attachment 20651
With three in one hole and one outlier I knew I was close. The magic touch was going to a 0.030" bullet jump.

View attachment 20652

I am very happy with this and I think this will make a great deer load. :)

Dan
Maybe coincidence but my 7wsm loves Berger 150gr and Reloder 23 with gm210m primers.
However I bought a bunch of 8lb jugs of rl23 when it was $28 a pound, not $60 plus shipping, tax and hazmat lol.

Last edited:
Maybe coincidence but my 7wsm loves Berger 150gr and Reloder 23 with gm210m primers.
However I bought a bunch of 8lb jugs of rl23 when it was $28 a pound, not $60 plus shipping, tax and hazmat lol.
Love me some RL23. It'll make 160gr Partitions touch at 100 yards with one of my 7RM’s. Almost as good with 140gr E-Tips. I have 12 lbs of it left so I’m ok right now. I think RL23 is the only Alliant powder I’d pay current prices for. Maybe.

Wow, that's an elk load in my book!

Nice shooting and glad you got that 7 WSM. Looks like a keeper!

Wow, that's an elk load in my book!

Nice shooting and glad you got that 7 WSM. Looks like a keeper!
Yes, Scotty. I am glad as well. The encouragement from you, JD338, and Dr. Mike helped me make the decision to buy it. It is a keeper. Looks like my 270 Win. is going to be going down the road. This shoots the same bullet (150 gr. ABLR) faster and more accurately.

Yes, Scotty. I am glad as well. The encouragement from you, JD338, and Dr. Mike helped me make the decision to buy it. It is a keeper. Looks like my 270 Win. is going to be going down the road. This shoots the same bullet (150 gr. ABLR) faster and more accurately.
Man... Don't get rid of the 270!

Find something else... That thing shoots too well.

Back