Silly accurate

EastTNHunter

Beginner
May 10, 2017
Some people don't like Savage rifles, but my 116 30-06 is just silly accurate. Very few of my test loads shot over 1.25", but this is the hunting load that I settled on a few years back, and I've never had a deer take another step after being shot with it. This usually isn't the most accurate load out of this rifle, but always shoots sub-MOA with the best velocity (2950 fps), and today it really shined.

IMG_2028.JPG

My Tikka 338WM is far more finicky. Either it like the load or it hates it, not much in between. It really seems to like the 200gr NABS and I4350, and this is the best that it's done so far.

IMG_2029.JPG

Sorry, but I left my pen at home and could only find a carpenters pencil in the truck for writing notes on the targets. These were 100yd, 3 shot groups

Either of those targets would make the most foul-tempered curmudgeon smile. Fine riflery!

Nice shooting! Yes, Savages often punch above their weight class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a couple of Winchesters in 06 and after looking at that, I think I'm going to try some Reloader 17 hoping I can even come close to that. 4064 has been the powder of choice previously with the 165s.

Gotcha, I'd imagine you aren't too far off. Great shooting no matter the speed. Glad you got the 338 sorted out, that is some excellent shooting.

Fantastic shooting on your part. Savages will never win any beauty contest and are often looked down upon by owners of Remington and Winchesters but I have an early production 16 in 300 WSM that is hands down the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. it will shoot 130's to 200s giving incredible accuracy with everything in between. The 150gr BT and a max charge of W760 has but ALOT of venison in the freezer.

I don't like the way a savage looks, but they are usually extremely accurate.

Man that is some great shooting!! I love my savage mod 116 6.5 creedmoor. 120 nosler ballistic tip @2900 on top 3 shots 135 berger classic hunter around 2800 at bottom 5 shots pulled on of the shots. Like others have said not the best looking rifle but for the money they shoot great.
b09d52d8132cab19ce2e5368b0cc3da0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fine Shooting. One of my all time favorite rifles that I owned was a 116 Stainless 325 WSM..It was very accurate, fit me just right, and wasn't too hard on the shoulder.But I sold it..Now I wish I had it back!!

My brother has a Savage 111 30-06 that went to Africa with him..

Attachments

• kevin wildebeast.jpg
    kevin wildebeast.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,286
I love my Savage 110 in 7 mag. It shoots 165 grain Accubonds very well, 3 shots in a dime at 100 yards.

DamonZ8":3d5wqsit said:
I love my Savage 110 in 7 mag. It shoots 165 grain Accubonds very well, 3 shots in a dime at 100 yards.

I meant my 111 FCNS, not 110.

Back