Weatherby Mark V Special Synthetic .300 Win Mag

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Hello all!!

Thought I would show off my new rifle. It was a limited edition in 2005, and kept in someone's safe up until a few weeks ago.
I had my eye on another Mark V Laminate Stainless Steel in .300 Win Mag, but someone bought it right before I had all of my funds in to buy it.
Well, it only took a few days and my rifle came up for sale. I had seen it on Gun Broker, and hemmed and hawed about possibly buying it. Then, the next day I saw no one bid on it, and it had a Buy Now option. So I did. Didn't want it to slip out of my fingers like the other one.
The pictures on the site didn't do it any justice.
She's not the glossy, gorgeous wood stocked one, but I'm excited to have it no matter.
She's going to be a lot more functional for me.
It's a Weatherby Mark V Special Synthetic in .300 Win Mag!
I went with the 300 Win Mag because I have a lot of stuff for it, and it's fairly inexpensive ammo to buy off the shelf now, that some of the Special Forces use the caliber as a sniper round.
The receiver and barrel are stainless steel. The receiver has been blackened, from what the seller has said.
Anyways, it's one of my all time favorite rifle companies, and rifles I've wanted for a long time.
I had a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic rifle back in 1996, and that was an amazing rifle. That one was in .300 Bee. I would still have that rifle if it weren't for a divorce I had, and had to come up with a retainer for a lawyer.
But, I finally have the one I've always wanted.

Hawk
c997b584cf1d6978b6f2a4b3350b5cd9.jpg
ea103e0cd800e2711108adabfb287cc9.jpg
836a58bea10501abc0cb4746483847d7.jpg

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Nice. Good luck with the new rifle. I have 2 300's a SAko model 75 and a F&N mauser. When you start loading for it just bump the shoulders enough for it to chamber. I have some brass with 6 firings on it. Haven't had a case separate.

sako2":2b40max9 said:
Nice. Good luck with the new rifle. I have 2 300's a SAko model 75 and a F&N mauser. When you start loading for it just bump the shoulders enough for it to chamber. I have some brass with 6 firings on it. Haven't had a case separate.
Thank you!
Yes, I will definitely keep that information in mind! Thank you very much!

Hawk

I bet there aren't too many Mark V's in 300 Win Mag so that's a nice find. Some 200's at around 2900 fps sounds great to me, or 168's @ 3200 fps or 180's @ 3050 fps or......... ;)

gerry":3dvipr8y said:
I bet there aren't too many Mark V's in 300 Win Mag so that's a nice find. Some 200's at around 2900 fps sounds great to me, or 168's @ 3200 fps or 180's @ 3050 fps or......... ;)

Boy you aren’t kidding Gerry. Pretty hard to make a 300 Win look bad.

gerry":2he8mm5d said:
Oh yeah! Mark V's aren't all that easy to find in .300 Win Mag. I'm glad I did, now I don't have to buy more dies, and cases to get up to speed with a .300 Bee.
Yes, I will try some 180's up to 200's.
The 180's seem to be a good middle of the road bullet. But the 200's look really appealing as well.

Hawk

SJB358":1rlc98s7 said:
Looking forward to see you get that sucker warmed up!
Yes, me too!
I've been enamored with Weatherby rifles for a long time.
If I do my part, I know she can be a sub MOA performer.

Hawk

I can honestly say, that I thought what a quality synthetic stock rifle was in the T/C Venture. Until I handled my Weatherby Mark V.
It is solid. No flex in that stock. It's got to be the nicest synthetic stock I've ever handled.
I had a Vanguard way back '96, and thought that was awesome. It was, but the Mark V is sooo much better.
It is definitely quality.
Just like my Remingtons, quality, but not to the likes of the Weatherby Mark V's.

Hawk

Excellent! That should be a terrific hunting rifle.

I think I'd try some 200 gr Partitions... (y)

Guy

Guy Miner":96iryywi said:

Guy
Thank you Guy!
I'm thinking along the same lines. A 200 gr Partition is probably optimal as well.

Bryce

Guy Miner":3jcmd9zo said:

Guy

Yup, that or a 200 AB will handle all problems a fella would likely run into.

Hey Scotty!

I was wondering what you might think of using 212 gr ELD-X bullets for a .300 Win Mag?

Hawk

It did great out of his 30-06 at 2700 fps plus on elk this year.

FOTIS":36hmneto said:
It did great out of his 30-06 at 2700 fps plus on elk this year.
Boy, you aren't kidding!
I wonder if it will do as well in a .300 Winnie?

Bryce

Huge chunk of lead Bryce. I can not see it bouncing off.

Did you shoot any of your 10 or 20 30-06's yet?

FOTIS":dyo47l4j said:
Did you shoot any of your 10 or 20 30-06's yet?
LOL No, I can't carry them all to the range, too heavy.
I have to roll some of my own ammo. I will do that not too far from now.
And, I will do .300 Win Mag as well.

Bryce

Back