Which monolithic bullet for tough game with 300 Win Mag?

All things being equal, frontal area after initial expansion most likely governs penetration. A cross section of the contenders here would be helpful.
The alloy composition is another factor. Higher percentage of copper would allow for more rapid expansion. Jug test time....

Last edited:
The premise of the post is interesting. All monolithic bullets will work well on "tough" game when launched from a 300 Win Mag. Pick one and work up the load. I've used E-Tips in the 270 WSM and in the 338 Federal on moose with excellent results. I used the 180 grain and the 168 grain TSM in a 300 WSM to take moose, elk, black bear, and mule deer with excellent results. I have no doubt that the others named will work equally well. Monolithic bullets will withstand the test.

What make is your 300 in Pard? Long action/longthroat? Factory or handloads? I've shot a wad of game in my short life, and the majority were shot with 300WM and the Barnes 180 XBT. 165/168s work fine, but guaranteed shoulder poppers start at 180! ha Have a ball Pard!

The premise of the post is interesting. All monolithic bullets will work well on "tough" game when launched from a 300 Win Mag. Pick one and work up the load. I've used E-Tips in the 270 WSM and in the 338 Federal on moose with excellent results. I used the 180 grain and the 168 grain TSM in a 300 WSM to take moose, elk, black bear, and mule deer with excellent results. I have no doubt that the others named will work equally well. Monolithic bullets will withstand the test.
Dr. Mike, did you notice any appreciable difference in performance between bullet weights? I repeatedly hear that you need to “drive them fast”.

I was wondering about Nosler's E-Tip. I've got some, but haven't used them on game yet. Have read good reports of their performance on game.

Regards, Guy
I've been impressed with the Nosler E-tips. They have shot well and performed very nicely in my son's 6mm Remington. I'd try the 165 or 180 gr. E-tip and use the one your rifle shoots the best. If the 165 gr. E-tip shoots well I would just use that bullet. a 90 gr. E-tip out of my son's 6mm Remington killed a large cow elk at 350 yards with one shot. The bullet exited the off-side in the middle of her left shoulder and she staggered about 20 yards and went down.

In my experience, all monolithic bullets yield the best performance when driven fast. I've recovered a few from game, but very few. Weight retention is high (up to 97%) and the expansion on recovered bullets looks uniform. Yes, all bullet weights respond similarly, though I cannot say that I notice a difference in "killing power" between the different bullet weights. That is likely because I do drive them fast. Because of the excellent weight retention, it is possible to use lighter weight bullets and obtain higher velocities, which generally means a longer point blank range for longer reach.

In my experience, all monolithic bullets yield the best performance when driven fast.
This is so true. I’ve never had a deer take one step from a TTSX , whether it was 150gr to 350gr.

I have some of the 180gr E-tips.The shoot great in my rifle,just haven't used any of the mono's on game.I've been wondering about mono's and how many I see recovered and the nice mushrooms they make.Since they shed very little weight compared to lead core bullets,it has me thinking that lead core bullets,in shedding their weight also blows a cavity that can aid their penetration as long as the lead core and jacket are tough and remain together and exit.I've watched some videos that show mono's tend to expand quickly on impact and then tend to have a smaller wound channel afterwards.I don't know,both bullet types kill,but they do perform a little difference.Having no experience with mono's performance and the type of wound channels they produce,I'd like to hear more from people who use them and how they seem to produce wound channels compared to lead core bullets they have used.
These pictures are kinda what I'm getting at.

I tested the Hornady CX bullets, 7mm 150's in Clear Ballistics Gel at 2800 fps and 3200 fps. The 2800 fps was to simulate impact velocity at about 200 yards. Fired them through my 7mm Rem Mag Ruger Number One at close range. Each of the gel blocks is 16" in length.

The 2800 fps load penetrated 30.5"
The 3200 fps load penetrated 33"

1701886133963.png
Like Nosler's E-Tip, the CX is a copper alloy with zinc added, like a bullet jacket. This results in less fouling, and also a somewhat "tougher" bullet.

1701886266821.png
Also tested the stubby 130 grain Barnes TTSX 30 caliber bullet at 3270 fps from a 24" 30-06 Springfield rifle. I'd guess that was the fastest that old 03A3 had ever sent a bullet downrange! Cavitation was spectacular at over 10" temporary cavity and penetration was 22" or far less than the 150 gr 7mm CX bullets. Still, I know people have had great success with this stubby little Barnes. The Barnes is supposed to be pure copper, no zinc added, so it's softer.
1701886586405.png
1701886687101.png
Have not yet tested Nosler's E-Tip in the ballistics gel. I'd expect it to act more like the CX than the TTSX. But, that's an assumption at this point.

I find this stuff fascinating! :)

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
Excellent data, Guy. I haven't used the CX in any loads, primarily because I have so many E-Tips and TSX pills still sitting on the shelf. They have worked well for me in a variety of cartridges, so I don't have the same urge to test some of the newer bullets. I don't think I would have any problem using the CX in my cartridges, however.

Having no experience with mono's performance and the type of wound channels they produce,I'd like to hear more from people who use them and how they seem to produce wound channels compared to lead core bullets they have used.
I’ve taken several whitetails with this bullet all lung shots. Lungs were soup in all of them. I wish I had documented the deer taken with the 150gr TTSX in the 30-06 and the 165gr TTSX in the 300 Wby. Everyone had the rug pulled out from under them.
TTSX is my bullet of choice for hunting.

I tested the Hornady CX bullets, 7mm 150's in Clear Ballistics Gel at 2800 fps and 3200 fps. The 2800 fps was to simulate impact velocity at about 200 yards. Fired them through my 7mm Rem Mag Ruger Number One at close range. Each of the gel blocks is 16" in length.

The 2800 fps load penetrated 30.5"
The 3200 fps load penetrated 33"

View attachment 21576
Like Nosler's E-Tip, the CX is a copper alloy with zinc added, like a bullet jacket. This results in less fouling, and also a somewhat "tougher" bullet.

View attachment 21577
Also tested the stubby 130 grain Barnes TTSX 30 caliber bullet at 3270 fps from a 24" 30-06 Springfield rifle. I'd guess that was the fastest that old 03A3 had ever sent a bullet downrange! Cavitation was spectacular at over 10" temporary cavity and penetration was 22" or far less than the 150 gr 7mm CX bullets. Still, I know people have had great success with this stubby little Barnes. The Barnes is supposed to be pure copper, no zinc added, so it's softer.
View attachment 21578
View attachment 21579
Have not yet tested Nosler's E-Tip in the ballistics gel. I'd expect it to act more like the CX than the TTSX. But, that's an assumption at this point.

I find this stuff fascinating! :)

Regards, Guy
Good stuff Guy. Thanks for testing and sharing your results.

JD338

Good stuff Guy. Noticed that the shock / expansion split the wood in front of the table. I may have to buy a box of a few different mono brands, try them out and see which shoots. If I were to go with mono, it will be just for those nilgai. They should hit them hard. That TTSX expands real nicely and stays in one piece.

Thanks guys for all the information. The responses was very informative.

Here's 90 gr. E-tips and 100 gr. Partitions out of a 6mm Remington at 3318 & 3170 fps shot into water jugs at 100 - 200 - 300 - & 400 yards. Sorry didn't shoot a Partition into jugs at 300 yards. Been really happy with how the E-tips have performed in the 6mm. Haven't shot them in anything else yet. Not as good of medium to test as Guy used but still usefull all the same.
1701974720426.png 1701974662120.png 90 gr. E-Tip 300 yard kill
25 yard testing into water jugs - Partition - AccuBond - E-tip all from the 6mm Remington!!!
1701974980467.png
One dead elk shot at 350 yards - ONE 90 gr. E-Tip - exited center of left shoulder on the off side - staggered 20 yards and dropped.
1701975083736.png
I need to shoot some and test them in my 280AI and 30-06 now. They sure have worked well for us.

Back