On game performance.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Gotta say, although just 2 buck and a doe with it in the last 2 yrs, so not like it's been 2 dozen to go off of, but so far I'm thoroughly impressed overall with the performance of the 35 Remington.

Albeit at higher speeds then normal being I'm running it through a 760, but impressed by it none the less. 2 of the deer were over 100 yds in the woods, the third just under.

1 was hit straight through tight behind the shoulder on both entrance and exit with a 200 gr RNCL, locked up for a bit then rolled down hill. One was hit in the shoulder with a 180 Speer FP, exited base of the neck. Straight down. One was hit lengthwise of the vitals with the 180 Speer bullet on a hard quartering away downhill shot. Entered high and back, exited right behind the opposite shoulder. That deer made it I'm guessing 60 yds. First 30 yds tore off like nothing happened, next 20- 30 stumbling through tops trying to stay on the uphill side of a logging road, splashing blood out both sides.

Second thing I'm impressed with it by, is back at the skinning shed. Extremely easy on the meat. Where 2 of those deer were hit is one thing, I was very pleased with the lack of damage, but also no major bones were hit. The deer where it was hit in the shoulder and exited the neck, I haven't used a normal cartridge/caliber of any size in my deer hunting yrs where that shot wouldn't of made a mess of some sort. I opened up the shoulder and took the back of my knife and scraped out a coagulated puddle of blood clot, but there was no surrounding blood shot. I cut up that whole shoulder for hamburg. Same thing on the neck exit.......used that meat right up to next to the hole.

Based on what I've seen so far, if I was using a larger cartridge in 35 caliber for woods hunting whitetails, I'd down load it with similar bullets just a speed step above what I'm shooting now. Why fix what works?

Sounds like the kind of performance any meat hunter would appreciate!
I have some of those Speer 180 gr Hot-Cor bullets to work up a load for in the Marlin for my wife.

What load are you using?

Great report ST. I have seen the same things. I had a Marlin 35 Rem that all I shot was 200 grain Remington CLRN's out of at 2300 with LVR. It just pounded on through and deer died quickly. I use the 225 Sierra and PT in my 358 Win around 2400 and it works about the same. Even the Whelen 7600 using the Sierra 225 at 2700 doesn't beat up meat badly, but man they make excellent holes.

I am looking forward to Marlin making 35 Rem's again. I miss that rifle pretty badly.

Sounds like the kind of performance any meat hunter would appreciate!
I have some of those Speer 180 gr Hot-Cor bullets to work up a load for in the Marlin for my wife.

What load are you using?
I'll give you all the info I can since it is over book max.

I'm using the same powder and charge that I use with the 200 gr RNCL's. 41 grains of H4895. Runs 2325 with the CL's, runs 2350 with the 180 Speer.
Shoots very tight with the CL's, shoots 1"-1.25" with the Speers at 100 yds. That is 2 grains above Hodgdon's book max with that Speer bullet, so approach at your own risk. According to my rudimentary math figures I'm still running below 40,000 CUP but can't prove it. But zero issues of pressure signs of any kind in my 760. Everything indicates it's running at an easy pressure for that rifle.

That charge with the CL's at the loaded length has just a tiny bit of jingle when you shake the case. With the Speers loaded at book length of 2.470 it is lightly compressed, so out of case room. I'm using Remington cases and CCI 200 primers.

If I was pursuing more velocity with the Speer I'd CAREFULLY bump up from book load experimenting with H4198 instead of H4895. Might be able to see significant gains, or might hit pressure before realizing any gains.

The other thing to consider is that I suspect the 760 comes tighter chambered than a typical 336. When testing factory Rem 200 RNCL ammo I got higher velocity than I was expecting. 2100 plus if I remember correctly. Compared to what is the common report of factory speed with a 20" 336, I can't imagine my 2" more of barrel makes a huge difference in what is already a low pressure cartridge pushing a heavy slow moving bullet.

The reason I would pick H4198 if I was trying for more speed with the 180 Speer in a rifle I knew could handle it, is that Hodgdon's data shows a max of 32 grains with a speed of 2172.

I suspect I could easily hit the same 2350 as I am with H4895 without running into any pressure. Would still be plenty of room left in the case. Whether or not it could safely gain from there, who knows? I'm perfectly happy with where it's at. Seems like an easy load on the rifle at an improved speed.

Great report ST. I have seen the same things. I had a Marlin 35 Rem that all I shot was 200 grain Remington CLRN's out of at 2300 with LVR. It just pounded on through and deer died quickly. I use the 225 Sierra and PT in my 358 Win around 2400 and it works about the same. Even the Whelen 7600 using the Sierra 225 at 2700 doesn't beat up meat badly, but man they make excellent holes.

I am looking forward to Marlin making 35 Rem's again. I miss that rifle pretty badly.
I am very quickly becoming a fan of 35 caliber Scotty, particularly with bullets already designed for the slower 35 Remington speeds, which is all I have to go off of so far. I know the 35 Remington basically runs at speeds and energy levels of the 30-30 Winchester, but based on what I've witnessed so far, nobody will convince me those numbers on paper transfer to what actually happens in the field. Something about that much larger frontal area with bullets designed for those speeds that knocks the running gear and motor skills out of them. QUICKLY.

At the speeds I'm running I've pretty much just extended the range at which those bullets still have a good bit of thump. Which has worked out well considering those 3 deer have all been in the top 5 of the longest and toughest woods shots I've been presented with.

I agree with the 35's thumping deer harder. Same reason I use them myself. Most anything decently placed goes down quickly, but it seems like the 338's and 35's transfer energy better and seem to open bigger holes as well.

I agree with the 35's thumping deer harder. Same reason I use them myself. Most anything decently placed goes down quickly, but it seems like the 338's and 35's transfer energy better and seem to open bigger holes as well.
Yep, big leaking holes on both sides is a bonus. When blood pressure drops that quickly I suspect some of them just flat pass out before they're completely physically dead. Either way it makes for a very quick humane clean kill.

I'm a big fan of the .35 caliber. Mine are the .358 Win. and .35 Whelen. I haven't shot anything with the .358 other than paper and the Whelen is my go to elk slayer. Smacks them down hard. I have not had one elk take more than two slow steps after hitting them with a 225 gr. TSX. Most have been straight down on the spot.
Paul B.

Reactions: Tld
The 35s are among my favourite cartridges. Currently, I have three Model 94s chambered in .356 which are a favourite rifle to carry. I also have a .358, a 35 Whelen and a 358 Norma Magnum, all of which fill a niche that I believe I need.

The 35s are among my favourite cartridges. Currently, I have three Model 94s chambered in .356 which are a favourite rifle to carry. I also have a .358, a 35 Whelen and a 358 Norma Magnum, all of which fill a niche that I believe I need.
That 356 is a good'un Dr Mike. I was looking at the cartridge drawings of that a while back and it fits those shorter bullets like the 180 Speer, 220 Speer etc, pretty darn well. And is of a case capacity where it's still very efficient. Can zing along bullets like the 180 a good bit faster than the 35 Rem with not a lot of powder.

Until this past hunting season my only 35 caliber experience was with the 35 Rem. Have used Rem 200gr RNCl, Speer 180gr FP and Hornady 200gr FLXT. Good results with all. This past season used the 35 Whelen with Hornady 200gr SPT and Sierra 225gr SBT. Shot 1 doe with each bullet. Same distance pretty much and same point of entry. Each dropped in her tracks. The Hornady was you described the damage with the 35 Rem. The Sierra was great. As Scotty says they leave a big hole. Dan.

The 35 cal 200 gr SPCL is a great bullet. It holds up to the 35 Whelen speeds when shot into water jugs so I would think it would work well for WT deer.
My hunting experience with 35 cal is limited to the 35 Whelen. With 18 bucks and a black bear to it's credit, it hammers them.

JD338

I have 2, 356 Win's (Marlin and a 94 Big Bore), and a 358 Win (pre-81 BLR), in addition to the 35 Rem. And I have used the 35 Whelen on elk. The 35's just plain work without a lot of muss or fuss!
The 358 has accounted for a number of elk, bears and moose over the years, as well as my daughter's first deer (mulie). Also backed up DrMike with it on his grizzly.
Have been using the Speer 220 gr Hot-Cor in that rifle and it has performed very well. A faithful load and rifle that I use for back up when guiding and archery hunting, and has never failed to produce.

I have 2, 356 Win's (Marlin and a 94 Big Bore), and a 358 Win (pre-81 BLR), in addition to the 35 Rem. And I have used the 35 Whelen on elk. The 35's just plain work without a lot of muss or fuss!
The 358 has accounted for a number of elk, bears and moose over the years, as well as my daughter's first deer (mulie). Also backed up DrMike with it on his grizzly.
Have been using the Speer 220 gr Hot-Cor in that rifle and it has performed very well. A faithful load and rifle that I use for back up when guiding and archery hunting, and has never failed to produce.
You got some good ones for sure. Good deal. (y)

I don't own a 35 Rem but once had a Contender barrel that was chambered for it and used it to kill ground hogs loaded with 158gr pistol bullets. It sure did make a mess out of them.
My present .35 is a Whelen AI and I have shot deer with it. The saying that you can eat right up to the bullet hole is the truth. The deer I've shot with a 225gr PTA drop like a ton of brick was dumped on them .

I'm a big fan of the .35 caliber. Mine are the .358 Win. and .35 Whelen. I haven't shot anything with the .358 other than paper and the Whelen is my go to elk slayer. Smacks them down hard. I have not had one elk take more than two slow steps after hitting them with a 225 gr. TSX. Most have been straight down on the spot.
Paul B.
Sounds like you have a real elk slayer! Have you used any nosler ab 225 on elk? I am working up loads for this fall and thought a 35 Whelen with 225 nosler might be the right ticket puncher.

I have a couple of 35 Rems. I killed my buck last year with the 336. Hot loaded 180 gr Speer dropped him where he stood with a high shoulder shot. I also have a Model 81 in 35 Rem. It is great fun at the range. I will hunt with it again sometime. I also have a couple of Whelens. The elk and deer taken with them drop just as dead. Those 35 caliber bullets do tend to be kinder to meat than higher velocity smaller bullets.

Back