Salmonchaser goes to Africa

Tomorrow we focus on the Bush buck, two days of hunting to complete the spiral slam. We saw a couple of female Bush Buck this after noon, a couple of Red Hartebeast, some water bucks and quite a few Kudu and hogs.
The outfit is Crusader Safaris, 100% free range hunting. Check them out. If I wasn’t specifically hunting the spirals I could likely have shot a good representative example of at least 10 species, probably more.

Very nice kudu!
Best of luck on the bushbuck!

The spiral horns are on the top of my list too.
My wife's wishlist is the Sable and all 4 colour phases of Springbok.

I didn’t realize when I booked this trip that a spiral slam could be difficult, the hunts have been challenging. The Nyala came quickly, kudu was tough, 7 days, good numbers seen, but nothing great until the end. The Eland was one of only two bulls we saw and just got lucky bumping into him. Really thought my one opportunity (miss at 300) might be the story until Simms, our tracker, pointed out two shiny horns in the brush, 250 yards away. Careful study with my binoculars revealed his back line. Guide said not to spine him, it’s light grass he’s standing in. That worked!

Attachments

• 17E1E210-F1EF-4B71-8870-C403C9B29B41.jpeg
    17E1E210-F1EF-4B71-8870-C403C9B29B41.jpeg
    921.4 KB · Views: 19
Eland this morning
Four days touring five days hunting and another travel day. I’ve passed on several kudu bulls I thought were spectacular, guide felt we can do better. Also passed on several other animals, Impalas, Wart hogs and Wildabeast every day because we were focused on Kudu. I missed a bushbuck at 380yards but have taken two outstanding Nyala and a Zebra. More to follow in a few days

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I am so very happy for you guys. Congratulations and enjoy the remainder of your safari

Are you taking Catherine to Rome or Paris on the way home ?

P.s. have you seen any Lions ?

Very nice spiral slam!
Very successful hunting adventure! Congrats!
Hopefully, when my turn comes to go to Africa, I am as successful as you in achieving a grand adventure!
The memories will last well after you can no longer hunt.
Now go buy a lottery ticket...unless you think you have had all the luck you can get or deserve! LOL

What types of mounts are you planning for your animals?

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I am so very happy for you guys. Congratulations and enjoy the remainder of your safari

Are you taking Catherine to Rome or Paris on the way home ?

P.s. have you seen any Lions ?
Lions, yes! Walked up on a pride, only got to 250 yards and called that good. She has been to both, actually worked in Rome for a year. We will travel via London.

Going
Very nice spiral slam!
Very successful hunting adventure! Congrats!
Hopefully, when my turn comes to go to Africa, I am as successful as you in achieving a grand adventure!
The memories will last well after you can no longer hunt.
Now go buy a lottery ticket...unless you think you have had all the luck you can get or deserve! LOL

What types of mounts are you planning for your animals?
with all euro mounts, literally shot my budget to hell.

Yesterday we discovered that Catherine had lost her phone while we packed out the bush buck. Took an hour to drive in low range back to were we loaded him up. Simms the tracker found the phone in about seven minutes. While we were celebrating our good fortune Sean said “there is a great ram. Would you like an Impala?” Ok, twist my arm! They didn’t go far, a short stalk put him looking back over his shoulder at only 100 or so. Later with both animals in the skinning shed, 1530 or so, we took a treacherous Jeep trail up a steep grade, just taking a tour in a part of the ranch we had not seen. Game on every ridge. Sean spotted a black wildebeest bull that had a broken leg, moving away but lagging the herd. It was a long shot to stop him, another to finish him. Wildebeest was not on my list but for 1/2 price, why not.
Getting ready for our last hunt. 1/2 day hunting then we go for some touring around the ranch historic sights. Same family here since 1820!

Attachments

• 1C82078F-2CA3-45B7-95E7-71868CD9DA80.jpeg
    1C82078F-2CA3-45B7-95E7-71868CD9DA80.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 99614DC3-EABF-4CC1-B044-F6C0CEBA6E14.jpeg
    99614DC3-EABF-4CC1-B044-F6C0CEBA6E14.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 11
SC,
You have had an amazing adventure. Sue and I have a safari on our list when I retire. We are looking forward to hearing more about your safari.
Thank you for sharing and safe travels.

JD338

What an excellent adventure! It was great not only that you had the opportunity to conduct the hunt, but that we were allowed to share in all that happened. Thank you.

Bless buck, crawled from 400 to 200 fighting a 20kph cross wind. Prone-one and done. Spent the rest of the day looking at about 20 variety of animals with a rifle next to me. My guide was quite the enabler, that kudu might be just a little bigger kind of thing.

Attachments

• 966D83C1-7B81-44D6-819D-D4355728F44D.jpeg
    966D83C1-7B81-44D6-819D-D4355728F44D.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 10
Back