The absence in the market place

WesternMagHunter

Beginner
Jan 3, 2023
I believe that most people are here on the Nosler forum because they love Nosler products. But I am sure that many people like myself find the love for Nosler starting to wain. I have two rifle in Nosler calibers and I really love them for their outstanding level of performance. However, for the last two years the availability of Nosler ammunition, cases, and bullets has sent me in other directions. I was going to build a 30 Nosler this year but decided against it because of the availability of components, instead going with the .300 Win Mag as it is still available every where for a reasonable price. It is a shame to have some of the best bullets on the market, but if you cant get them they aren't so great. And many shooters and hunters such as my self are finding other options that are available and are filling the bill.

Welcome to the forum (unless you are one of those who had login issues and has been around for years, in which case, um... Welcome anyway?)

Anyway, I think you will find this a friendly place for all manner of discourse. To your point, I've seen similar things come up in other posts, and my response is somewhat set: I have brand preference, not loyalty. I know that times have been difficult for companies: labor shortages, supply chain issues, etc. Thing is, we, the consumer have also been having difficult times. If I can't afford what you are making (or won't afford - *cough* Ruger/Marlin *cough*), I won't buy it. If you don't actually put your product out, I certainly won't buy it.

Again, welcome. I hope you stick around and add to the collective knowledge and experience.

I believe that most people are here on the Nosler forum because they love Nosler products. But I am sure that many people like myself find the love for Nosler starting to wain. I have two rifle in Nosler calibers and I really love them for their outstanding level of performance. However, for the last two years the availability of Nosler ammunition, cases, and bullets has sent me in other directions. I was going to build a 30 Nosler this year but decided against it because of the availability of components, instead going with the .300 Win Mag as it is still available every where for a reasonable price. It is a shame to have some of the best bullets on the market, but if you cant get them they aren't so great. And many shooters and hunters such as my self are finding other options that are available and are filling the bill.
Hello,
You are not alone in your frustration in finding ammunition and/or components that meet your needs and desires...unfortunately I am not sure why everyone is so quick to lay blame to the manufacturers for issues beyond much of their control. Many have put forth press releases accounting for their production over the past few years, and the demands that they have been struggling to meet.

I face the same issues too...but in my current line of work in capital projects management...I face these daily, and then have to communicate these challenges onto my clients so that they understand that many of these issues are beyond my control, and that of of the contractors and vendors that deliver goods, materials and services to complete capital projects that they are waiting for. Many have never taken the time to think about it, and are very surprised when made aware of the challenges and are educated in the processes and impacts faced by all involved to deliver the end product and/or service.

Yes, there are many issues affecting supply and delivery of the materials required to manufacture the components needed to make ammunition and components for handloading. We are experiencing several issues as direct and indirect impacts caused by COVID-19 and global economies and market pricing for commodities. It all has its ripple effect that is felt from the companies mining the raw minerals around the world that eventually get turned into brass, metal and primer powders, smokeless powder, and the copper, lead, zinc and other metals used to make bullets, and the employees that work for these companies producing those raw materials, to those working in transportation of the raw and finished materials to/from mines to refineries, to manufactures, to distributors to retailers, to those working in the refining processes that manufacture finished materials that get sold to the factories manufacturing those individual components, and so on down to the retailer that you buy these products for. And the list goes on.

Then add the challenges of the hoarding that has occurred because of COVID-19 and the shortage in supply due to that increased demand of hoarding. And the fact that there has been a large recruitment in the numbers of people getting into hunting and handloading to get out during COVID-19 for isolated exercise and exposure to nature and the sun for much needed vitamin D and exposure to the natural calming effect of being out in nature (positive mental health impacts)...and the need to mitigate food security issues. Then add the current struggles some countries are facing in light of the wars being fought in other countries around the world and many country's actions to support those under attack. All this extra demand puts an extraordinary strain on the normal supply facing the new challenges in attempting to meet this increased demand. There a many factors that I haven't listed that also come into play here...

If, and when, you stop to think about every single step in the process and every person and/or entity that those individual goods and materials is handled by from birth to bed, so that you can have the opportunity to buy that ammunition or component, it is truly mind boggling, and everything has to fall in place, in a timely fashion, to provide you that opportunity to purchase that product. (And by "you", I am not referring to the poster of this quoted response, but to any of us who are frustrated and venting on those who are trying to deliver, despite the issues/challenges they are facing to do so, that most of do not take the time to think about before venting our frustrations; as the poster here is not alone.)

We are extremely fortunate to enjoy this past time, and that we have such a large selection to choose from to meet our needs and desires. When our preferred product is not as readily available as we would like, there are other choices out there that we can source and experiment with to find another preferred ammunition or handload for our chosen firearm/cartridge combination. And given a little patience and research, we can usually find an alternative. Many of has been forced to do this in the past as various factory ammunition, and/or reloading components are discontinued, and we can no longer source those preferred items. Cycle of life and times.

As a matter of fact, I have been fortunate in that I have been able to acquire more desired components and ammunition for my existing and newly acquired firearms, over the past 3 years (although some of it has not been at great prices... but that has been my choice and is on me), than I did in the previous 5 years before that.👍

So I suggest a little patience during a difficult time, and think about how others are dealing with issues a little larger than what some may deem to be a selfish concern that you cannot obtain certain products at this time. Think about it from the other side's perspective for a moment, before venting.
The old addage about walking a mile in someone else's shoes (or moccasins) comes to mind here...after all, one of the great virtues of a successful hunter is patience! Else we would all be vegetarians and wouldn't need firearms, ammunition and/or components! :D

We should all be glad that things are starting to get better, but that it is going to be a while yet, before things return to pre-2020 conditions...if we ever do.

While this may not mitigate your immediate frustration...hopefully it will ease it to a certain degree.

The other old addages apply here.
1 - Worry about that which you have control over, and do not worry about that which you have no control over.
2 - Only you can control how you choose to react to any given situation.
This will alleviate much of your stress!

1 - Worry about that which you have control over, and do not worry about that which you have no control over.
True. But much harder to do than to write. I wish life was that simple.

Welcome aboard. Yes this forum was based on most members being nosler enthusiasts.
That said the admin and the moderators have never discouraged the discussion and/or recommendations of other bullets. Check out the bullet test section, under reloading and you will see what I mean. Me? I love Nosler products but when I can NOT get them I do very nicely with Hammer, Barnes TTSX/LRX bullets. So yes everthing is game on here.

Well, I must be a special kind of dumb, lol.

I currently have a 30 Nosler, 28 Nosler, 27 Nosler, 26 Nosler.

I also have new 30, 28, and 27 Nosler barrels on the shelf waiting in line the shelf.20200906_153157.jpg20211231_110543~2.jpgimage.jpg20221030_093026~3.jpg

There have been many posters who have tried to explain why Nosler bullets are nowhere to be found. We will probably never know the truth, but you've got to wonder how Hornady has had little trouble meeting the market demand with their bullets and ammo. Hornady products are popping up everywhere and often in LARGE quantities. The availability of competing products kind of dispels the "supply chain issues", "raw material shortages", " lack of manpower", and other similar excuses.

I like Nosler bullets and have used them for many years. However, most of my rifles now have loads worked up with available bullets.

There is one more point I would like to make, if I may amend my original post, and that is in regard to this forum being for Nosler enthusiasts. My brand preference aside, I am absolutely not here because I am a Nosler fan. I am here because of the community of members, which is truly second to none. There are a number of reasons this forum is so great, and I won't delve into them here, but I suppose you could say that we, the community, moderate ourselves because we truly are passionate about the subject matter and truly enjoy sharing with each other.

*EDIT* Corrected spelling from 'grat' to 'great'. Thank you for your patience with my misspelling.

Last edited:
There is one more point I would like to make, if I may amend my original post, and that is in regard to this forum being for Nosler enthusiasts. My brand preference aside, I am absolutely not here because I am a Nosler fan. I am here because of the community of members, which is truly second to none. There are a number of reasons this forum is so grat, and I won't delve into them here, but I suppose you could say that we, the community, moderate ourselves because we truly are passionate about the subject matter and truly enjoy sharing with each other.
My sentiments exactly.

🔨

Until today… the last primers that I bought were $35 a brick for CCI. Bench rest were $100 at bass pro this morning. I’m not complaining I saw this coming, I have plenty of Nosler projectiles that I bought years ago. Woodchucks are going to have a bad spring

Last edited:
Until today… the last primers that I bought were $35 a brick for CCI. Bench rest were $100 at bass pro this morning. I’m not complaining I saw this coming, I have plenty of Nosler projectiles that I bought years ago. Woodchucks are going to have a bad spring
I've got a bunch of 32 grain Noslers for my 204 Ruger... I think they're going to make a dent in the varmint population!

Guy

Why has some bullet manufactures ( Hornady & Lehigh Defense) produce rather good numbers of bullets and other manufactures seem to have disappeared? I don't have a clue as to what Hornady is producing but Lehigh is producing about 400,000 bullet per week!! That is not their talk but actual numbers. Thanks Daniel

Bend Oregon is outlandishly expensive to live in these days. I wonder if it is hard to get workers for Nosler.
Go to their website and read their career listings, that might shed some light.

I pondered that thought once, then after I seen what they're offering vs. the COL in that region. 🥴
There are companies in my state offering more than that for entry level positions and still can't get any bites!

Back