180 BT in .30-06

Scott A

Beginner
May 29, 2005
I've been reading that the .308 180 Ballistic Tip has been "beefed up" in the last couple of years. Will this bullet expand properly on deer-sized game if shot from a .30-06?

Yes

I have taken close to a dozen deer with the 180 BT/ 30-06 combo and none have required a second shot! LoL

Here is a nice little 2 point mulie my daughter shot a couple of years ago.

The bullet was 180 BT launched from a 30-60 @ 2800 fps and the shot was taken from ~100 yards.

The deer was peaking out from behind a tree and her only shot was the neck. If you look closely you can see the "bump" at the back of this buck's neck where 6 inches of vertebra exited!

gillian-deer-smallest.JPG

Absolutely! Excellent medicine for deer. Expansion is initiated at 1400 fps or so. Try 60 gr of reloder 22. Took my elk last year with it.

Nosler says that beginning with the 30 caliber 180-gr. Ballistic Tips (and larger), the jacket's profile is changed or upgraded to a much stronger contour similar to the AccuBond (shown below). The lead core is also hardened over the 165-gr. and below bullets.

accubondcut.jpg

Lighter weight bullets like 165-gr. 30 caliber and lower (shown below) do not have the thicker contour which starts in the middle of the shell and goes down to the base.

bthunting.jpeg

In summary, one might suggest that the 180-gr. Ballistic Tip is simply a non-bonded AccuBond.

Back