180gn accubonds for 30 06 going to africa

Poz

Beginner
Feb 1, 2016
I am going to africa in July this year, and taking my 30 06 which is a Remington 700 action with and 26 inch sporter weight maddco barrel and a Monte Carlo bell and Carlson medallist stock. Had a load of 56.5 gn of 2209(h4350) which chronographed 2855 fps average of 10 shots with an interbond but now they are like hens teeth here in Australia so I'll be switching to accubonds for my hunt and I'll practice with ballistic tips to keep the cost down a bit. I know I'll have to do the load development again but how similar should the loads be between the accubonds and interbonds. I really would rather not go back to starting loads only to end up where I was in the first place. Thanks for your help

Poz -

Welcome to the forum!

There really is no way to know for sure without loading and testing in your own rifle. In my .30-06 rifle, Hornady data and Nosler data seem to be relatively similar with equal bullet weights in performance and pressure etc.

Still, without testing in your own unique rifle, you'll not know for sure. I envy your trip Africa friend since I will likely not be able to ever afford to go! You have chosen a perfect hunting rifle for most things in this world and you'll not go wrong hunting with a Nosler AccuBond!

Let us know what develops in your testing etc. and post some pictures once you've taken game!

Thanks -

Dale

Poz - a buddy of mine took a .300 Win mag to Africa for plains game several years ago. I sold him the rifle - and gave him a bunch of .300 Win mag ammo - with 180 gr Ballistic Tip, and 180 grain Partition bullets.

I was impressed and surprised when he told me that he and his professional hunter both PREFERRED the 180 gr Ballistic Tip to the Partition....

Quicker kills.

Just a thought. I think your Accubonds will serve quite well. Never hunted Africa, but thought I'd pass on his experience. Yes it's a .300 Win mag vs your .30-06, but they're not that different in velocity - a couple of hundred fps.

Best of luck on your hunt!!!! Guy

I've never found any shortcuts that work for me with reloading. Every time I try someone's pet load without doing the work, it is a disappointment and I didn't learn how that powder and bullet combo work in my gun. The closest I've come is to trust that if Nosler or Sierra tell you a certain load is most accurate, it usually is but I still gotta work up the load. I guess I treat pet loads as good ballpark recommendations. I'm currently working up a 180 BT load with IMR 4350, but I haven't had range time yet.

Have a great trip. 30-06 with 180's is a good combo. Practice shooting in field positions and off sticks a bit. Enjoy. Bret

Sorry i should have clarified my intentions, I took the interbond load out to 57.5 gn but the group was out to about 1.5-2 inches there were no signs of pressure but the 3/4 inch group was more appealing to me so 56.5 it was, I am planning on backing off to 56 and working back up in .3 grain increments to 57.2 and see how it performs. Interesting that my mates 280 shoots accubonds and interbonds to the same point of impact at 100 yards with the same load yet the accubonds are travelling 60-70 fps faster

Welcome aboard, Poz. Each rifle is an entity to itself. It really isn't possible to make absolute statements concerning your own firing platform from the experience gained from another. You can work up your load with Ballistic Tips and drop back about 5% as you begin preparing your AccuBond load. Half grain increments should be sufficient to tell you what you want to know. The slight difference in velocities you mention can be accounted for by the differences in jacket composition for the two bullets. Best luck on your hunt. Sounds great.

On those Accubonds you will probably want to back them off the lands quite a bit. In my .280 I didn't see good accuracy until I was .050" off the lands. Many others here will start at .100" off and try to work towards .050". The Accubonds shot terrible in my gun at .010" off the lands, which is usually a good spot for normal cup and core bullets for me.

The BT will usually do fine at .010" off the lands. Lately, I've just been loading most of my BT loads to book length, as that is the magazine length in 2 of my guns, and those BT's shoot fine there too. The BT's just plain shoot well I think. Good luck with it. Bret

Poz

I worked up a load last summer with a 30-06 180AB ended up at 57 of IMR-4350 and the Nosler recommended COAL was sub-MOA.

Poz, I have used 56.5 H4350 and 180 ABs in my 30-06 without pressure signs. No promise it'll be the same in yours though!

Back