2010 Utah Disabled Hunter Danny Nowers Monroe Bull Elk

hightopoutfitter

Beginner
Oct 9, 2008
High Top Outfitters Staff Members teamed up and assisted disabled hunter Danny Nowers on his dream hunt. Danny and his wife Angela Nowers are both disabled hunters. In 2010 they both drew out for the Monroe Late Bull Elk on a dual application. Using Outfitter Shane Scott's Weatherby Mark 5, .257 Weatherby Magnum and handloaded 115 grain Nosler Partitions Danny was able to harvest his bull.
HTO Guides Ryan McCollin, Justin Larsen, Jay Simon and Kevin Christensen helped put Danny where he needed to be.
Danny harvested this nice 6X6 bull elk and filled a lifelong dream of taking a mature bull elk. Also assisting on the hunt were HTO Staff Jamon White, Eli Jensen, Shane Scott, Wes Ogden, Roger Christensen and Zach Dustin. Congratulations to Danny ! Team HTO Staff were proud to be a part of your hunt. Thank You Nosler Bullets !!!

Attachments

• Danny2_.jpg
    Danny2_.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,275
Outstanding! Can you tell us a little more about how those little 115 gr Partitions did on elk?

Other than the obvious, that your hunter is right there with one very big elk to his credit! Very cool.

Congratulations to everyone involved and to Danny on a super bull. Looks like those darned Partitions did it again! :p

Great job HTO! That is a trophy Bull of a lifetime! I am with Guy, wanna hear more about the 115gr PT. Congrats on that bull Danny! Scotty

Friends,
Bullet performance, OK here we go. Let me say first that I love my 257 Weatherby. It has low recoil, shoots flat and packs just enough punch to get the job done on these big bulls. When we started this Nowers project I knew that shooting would be of utmost importance since both Danny and Angela are very limited physically. I have a 6X-24X scope on my rifle. My Weatherby Mark 5 shoots well with handloads. I handloaded up a 67.0 grain load of IMR 7828 with the 115 grain Partitions putting the bullets at about 3400 at 5200 feet elevation. I hit the range and with a 310 yard zero had the bullets at -6 at 400 and -17 at 500. The load shot a group right at 1 inch.
So I picked up Danny and Angela. Out to the range we went and after some practice felt good about their skills. Team HTO geared up for the hunt.
We located a herd with 4 good bulls in it, 9 total. The herd was anywhere between 50-80 strong so the challenge became getting at these bulls without the cows in the way. The October Bulls were rutting late so there was a lot of bugling. On day 3 of the hunt Danny got his chance. His bull had moved up on a cedar face with his cows. At 508 yards Danny hit the bull 3 times with the third just below the spine busting the bull down and it rolled down the hill.
In looking at bullet performance IMO it was perfect. The bullets created a lot of trauma and penetrated nicely.
Now I will admit that I am biased because I took my 2007 Utah bull with 120 Partitions at 563 yards. I will attach a picture. The partitions were absolutely flawless on my bull.
Angelas bull was hit 3 times on Day 6. Once at 125, once at 230 and then finally at 335. The penetration on Angelas first shot was amazing.
Anyone who has hunted these big animals knows how tough they can be. In 2007 I had a client hit a 335 bull 4 times at 325 yards with a 7mm Remington Magnum and 162 grain Sierra Gamekings. All through the chest.
I will always shoot Partitions or Accubonds after that experience. For a big bull, If the hunter is shooting a 270 or bigger with 140 grain Accubonds or larger I don't think you can go wrong with the Accubonds. With my 257 I choose the Fail Proof Partitions in case we hit those big bones.
With all the hunting it still comes down to practice and shot placement. I cant say enough good things about Nosler Bullets. I will continue to use them. The results are in the pictures on our web site. We are gearing up to get the late bull elk hunts finished up. We have several Pahvant Late clients as well as other units so if all goes well some more fantastic bulls will be hitting the ground. I will let you know. Shane

Attachments

• shanesbull.jpg.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 1,244
That is awesome! Glad the mighty 257 did you so well. Pretty hard to beat PT's for heavy game. Great Bulls. Good luck the rest of the year! Scotty

HTO,

Beautiful bull! Thanks for the photo and story.

JD338

great bulls and great pictures. You are to be congratulated in your efforts helping hunters with disabilities. Thanks for sharing!!!

Exactly!

And thank you very much for the detailed description of the shooting and the bullet performance. That .257 Wby really gets the job done, even with some pretty doggone long range shooting. Glad the 115 Partitions did so well for you. I do believe they're about to become my standard .25 cal rifle bullet.

Regards, Guy

Great Story, I am glad that Dan & Angela were able to get out and enjoy the out doors.
And thank you to the Outfitters who set this up may you be blessed beyond measure.
It is my opinion that the bull Elk is king when it comes to trophies :)

Blessings,
Dan

Congratulation on your Bull and Thanks to the Outfitter a couple of Job well done to all........

Back