222 Remington Load for shorter barrel

jagermeister

Beginner
Jun 1, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I have just bought a 222 Remington with a short barrel (20" - 1:14 twist rate) and would like to start reloading this caliber (I already have experience in reloading, since a few years).
Could you be so kind to report some data ?

I have been thinking of using 50/52/55 grs. bullets (and maybe "stretch it" to Nosler Partition 60 grs., if possible...).

I have heard good powders are IMR4198 - Vihtavuori N120 and N133 - Norma 200....

As far as brass....Lapua ? ...Norma ? ...else ?

Your help will be really appreciated.

One more thing.....I was thinking to buy Redding FL sizing Dies, in combination with Redding Competition Seater....

:wink:

In the 222REM H322 has won more turnaments than any other powder as still stated a few manuals.

Start with H322 and 50 & 52gr bullets get both to see which is best for your rifle. A 50gr B-tip & a 52gr Custom Comp. Other 52gr bullets that I have used are the Berger HPV and the A-Max.

Lapua brass, 205M primer, H322, & a 52gr CC. Is what I would start with. H4198 is another option.

I use the reddington type "S" match neck die set. I use a .246" bushing for Lapua/Remington 223rem brass and a .224" for winchester brass. With the FL die set I would partial size the case not pushing the shoulder back just maintaining your rifles shoulder length. Get a shim set for the dies, Sinclair sells them. You can alway get a neck die latter.

Get brass set srews for the reddington dies before you tighten the steel screws!

jagermeister":3js55qc4 said:
Hi Everyone,

I have just bought a 222 Remington with a short barrel (20" - 1:14 twist rate) and would like to start reloading this caliber (I already have experience in reloading, since a few years).
Could you be so kind to report some data ?

I have been thinking of using 50/52/55 grs. bullets (and maybe "stretch it" to Nosler Partition 60 grs., if possible...).

I have heard good powders are IMR4198 - Vihtavuori N120 and N133 - Norma 200....

As far as brass....Lapua ? ...Norma ? ...else ?

Your help will be really appreciated.

One more thing.....I was thinking to buy Redding FL sizing Dies, in combination with Redding Competition Seater....

Welcome aboard buddy! Congrats on the 222 Rem. That is one sweet cartridge.. Scotty

Welcome aboard, Jagermeister. The 222 is a sweet cartridge that is highly underrated. I use Lapua or Norma cases whenever possible. The cases are more consistent and require less attention to prepare for use. I've had excellent success with VihtaVuori powders across a broad spectrum of cartridges. I would like look that direction again without hesitation, possibly looking at VN120 or VN130 or even VN133. Another sleeper powder could be IMR 8208 XBR. I do not have access to Norma powders, so I can't comment on them. However, what input I've received from others would lead me to believe they would serve me well in this instance.

I would consider getting a set of Forster BR FL dies for the .222 in order to get the best case life and not overwork the shoulder datum. Since the powder charge is quite small, I would not worry too much about the 20 inch barrel length. You won't lose much, certainly not more than 60-80 fps max. Most .222's with a 1:14 twist shoot lighter bullets better (45-52 grain). The 52 gr Sierra Matchkings shot really well in my .222, years ago, as did BL-C powder. Good luck with that rifle. The .222 is usually very accurate with low report and recoil.

DrMike":n69eu6re said:
Welcome aboard, Jagermeister. ......I've had excellent success with VihtaVuori powders across a broad spectrum of cartridges. I would like look that direction again without hesitation, possibly looking at VN120 or VN130 or even VN133........

I am actually looking at these powders (Vihtavuori), as they are the most easily available for me, at the moment.
VN133 seems to be the one that would give the top results in terms of performance (=speed) but it doesn't mean it'd be the most accurate...

Again, bullet weight I intend to use would be 52 grs for target and 50/55 for hunting small game.

Keep'em coming Guys

Oldtrader3":jwn4irzi said:
I would consider getting a set of Forster BR FL dies for the .222 in order to get the best case life and not overwork the shoulder datum.
Why Forsters ? Are they better ?
I've heard Redding were among the best...

Since the powder charge is quite small, I would not worry too much about the 20 inch barrel length. You won't lose much, certainly not more than 60-80 fps max.
I think so too.

The 52 gr Sierra Matchkings shot really well in my .222, years ago,.....
This would be my #1 pick for target shooting...

Good luck with that rifle. The .222 is usually very accurate with low report and recoil.

Thanks....finger crossed !
I am probably going to break it in next week.
I will keep you posted on the results.

As an aside, Forster dies are excellent. I use Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater Dies and Forster BR Sizing Dies whenever they are available. Redding dies are equally good, and some of their higher end products excel. I wouldn't hesitate to own either (and do own representative dies from each manufacturer).

I have been getting better bullet TIR with Forster Dies than than I have with Redding, however both companies make good dies. My personal opinion is that Forster produces straighter bullet seating run out numbers on my dial indicator blocks than RCBS or Redding. At least this has been my experience based on measuring bullet run out TIR on six sets of Forster BR dies versus Redding and RCBS. I also get better repeatablility on my headspace measurements with Forster dies as well.

I do not presently load for the .222 but do have and load for a .204 Ruger which is based on the .222 Mag case.

Some perfer the stix type pwders for small volume cases like the 222Rem. Provides space for the primer flame to and better ignition as they say. H322 is a classic powder of benchrest shooters in the triple duce.

My two year quest for a 222rem ended in buying a 700SPS/SS in 223Rem that I could rebarrel if needed. I have a shooter with Lapua brass, 24.9grs of Benchmark, & a berger 52gr HPV @3270fps.

Get use to seeing clover leafs with that small bore/shout barrel. If you get .25" groups @ 3000-3100fps with 50grain you should be happy.

tjen":20udh6vc said:
Get use to seeing clover leafs with that small bore/shout barrel. If you get .25" groups @ 3000-3100fps with 50grain you should be happy.

Yeah, that'd make me quite happy, I suppose.... :grin:

Again, thanks Everyone for your inputs.

Is there Anyone who has a .pdf copy of the Sierra manual for this caliber and could possibly e-mail it to me?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thnx

I've had some outstanding results shooting the 50-grain V-Max seated over Ramshot X-Terminator. It's a ball powder and meters really well, which is exactly what I wanted for volume reloading. It gives very good velocity, too. I think it's perfection in the .222, but I know H322 is its equal in every way---except metering.

jagermeister":72qfi5xk said:
tjen":72qfi5xk said:
Is there Anyone who has a .pdf copy of the Sierra manual for this caliber and could possibly e-mail it to me?

No One ? :cry:

As far as data for reloading this caliber, the problem is .....there are too many of them and it's difficult not to get lost..... :grin:

Jagermeister,

Phone the good fellows at Sierra (1 800 223 8799). They are among the most helpful people you will ever speak with.

I would send them to you, but I am away from my loading books right now..

PM me with your email address and I will send the Sierra page for the 52 gr HP Match bullet loads to you. Or just tell me which powders that you are interested in and I will type out the max loads off from their sheet.
Charlie

Back