243 Loads

officerdare

Beginner
Sep 28, 2005
I have a big bunch of 100 gr Solid Base bullets and wanted to do some loads, but that bullet has disappeared from Noslers manual. Will be shooting these out of a Weatherby with a 24” barrel. I am guessing that most of the 95/100 listings would be a starting point, but input from ya’ll on tried and tested loads will help.

No better powder for this than VV N560 like Nosler states in the load data up to 44.5 grains BUT next to impossible to get to I still use IMR4831 up to max 42 grains as have been doing for many years. IMR4831 pretty much has to be weighed as it doesn't meter well for me at all. But is super accurate and will hit about 2,950 with the solid base 100gr.

Imr4350 is good choice as well at 41 grain max.

In newer powders RL 23 at 42.5 grains is super temp stable and verrry accurate for me and will reach bout 100fps more than IMR4831.

That good old 100 grain Nosler Solid Base bullet that Officerdare has lots of is another excellent deer bullet! That was my standard bullet for the 6mm Rem before I discovered the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

NEVER had a problem with the 100 gr Nosler Solid Base - and I had quite a few of them at one point. Still have a box or two I believe. Accurate, and lethal.

Officerdare - I used them in a 6mm Remington, so my load data won't work for your .243 Win. But... I just used generic 100 grain load data for those bullets. Work up to the load for your rifle, starting low and going up gradually. Somewhere along the line your rifle will tell you things - like what's the most accurate load, and if you do silly things like I do, it will tell you when you've pushed too far and are generating too much pressure!

It's a good bullet, for your good cartridge.

Perhaps of interest is this cool article on loading for the .243 Win, from our friends at 6mmBR.com:

Link: http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Admittedly, most of the info in that article is for competitive target shooters, not hunters, but it's a good discussion of the cartridge anyway.

Regards, Guy

...Nosler #3 shows IMR-4831 (max. 44.0gr/ 3030fps) & IMR-7828 (max.47.5grs. @3250fps) for the 100gr. Solid Base. Since the 'older' data tends to be a little 'hotter', I'd reduce 10% & work up. I always assumed the '4350's' were the powder for a .243 size case, but most data shows slower powders giving better MV's/ load density...

Back