25-06 Loading

AFG270

Handloader
Aug 26, 2013
With my 25-06 barreled action on the way from Pac-Nor, I have all the reloading components to start working up loads. I have been reloading for over 40 years, but only enough to find a good hunting load. So questions to all you experienced reloaders, where do I start? I have new Nosler brass, 100g BT and 115g PT both blems at a very good price. I have only used new brass once in the past, always buying ammo to break-in the barrel and then reloading the once fired brass. But with the price of ammo I thought I would just start with reloads. Should I start working up loads with new brass or just load up some starting to medium range loads to break-in the barrel, get sighted in and get some once fired brass?

Any thoughts?

I'd just use cheapie bullets with moderate loads to run in the new barrel & then get to grips with proper hunting loads when happy with barrel.

I'm with ET, get some 100-117 grain Hornadys and something like 4350 to get it sighted in and ran in a little.

Once you get that, get some 7828/7977, RL26 or Retumbo. Any of those will crank those 115's really nicely and should give you excellent accuracy. Again, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Agree with the two fellows already speaking out. I would just use those 100 gr. BT's since you have them already as break-in bullets. They are pretty cheap. 50 rounds should have you ready to load some serious stuff up.

IMR4350 with the 115 Partition would be a great combination. IMR7882SSC would also work well as would H4831SC which is kind of a classic for the 25-06.

In my wife's 25-06 with 120 gr. Partitions I used IMR4350 and it worked well.

Thanks everyone. I have lots of IMR 4350 and some Retumbo and 7828ssc. Anyone use RL 17 with the 100g bullets? Looks like it gives good velocity with lighter bullets. I may pickup some RL 26 for the ETips once I get the barrel broken in.

So using New Nosler brass should I FL size, neck size them or just load them and shoot? For barrel break in and sight in.

I always FL size all new cases which usually only straightens up any dented mouths and makes the necks uniform. I never have gotten my best accuracy out of new cases. I like to fire a case then do what I call part sizing with a FL size die. I just size enough to bump the shoulder a little and size the neck. I have loaded for the 25-06 for a little over 25 years. With 100s one of the 4350s is hard to beat. My go to powders for 115 to 120 gr bullets is either IMR or AA 4350 (I use the same load with either of these powders and get the same POI and almost the same velocity) or H4831. One of the most accurate and best deer killing bullets I have ever used is the 117 gr Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullet.

Here in UK, we don't often get opportunities to try some of the propellants out there as importers & dealers stick with volume usage when they import/buy stock. This means newer propellants take a good while to get here and arrive in very low quantities.

I found in my rifle, (22" barrel) IMR4350 worked brilliantly with 100gn bullets, both Nosler & Sierra Prohunter, but not so well with heavier bullets of 115 & 120gn.
For those I moved to IMR4831 with very mixed results, other than with the Nosler 110gn AccuBond that works extremely well with 53gns....Shoots like a dream & very accurate.

I'd enjoy the opportunity to see what a couple of the other propellants mentioned would bring, although in fairness, There's nothing wrong with either of my .25-06 loads for 100 & 110gn bullets.
The 110gn AB is certainly strong enough to bring down the biggest deer in UK, some of which may exceed 350lbs.

What I'd really like is a propellant like 4350/4831 that feeds faultlessly through my Uniflo throwers. Now, that would be a real bonus (y)

New Nosler brass is good to go right out of the box.
My 25-06 really likes RL25 and IMR4831 for max speed and accuracy using 100-120gr bullets.
I have lots of data from testing if you want it PM me with a email I can send it to.

G'Day Fella's,

AGF270, I have been reloading and shooting a couple of .25-06's (older Rem 700 and newer Kimber 84L), for 30+ years now.
I have always used IMR 4813 or equivalent powders with bullet weights from 87 to 120 grn, with great accuracy (see below) and Hunting performance!
DSCN0370.JPG

The .25-06 is an impressive performer but please remember, it does have it's limitations on larger game animals.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

I use 100 grain Nosler ballistic tips in my 25-06 with RL19 (52.5 grains), Federal 210 primers, seated about 0.015" off the lands.... Shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards (approx 3200 fps at the muzzle of a 26" bbl). Works great on Whitetail deer.

Back