257 Weatherby ?

As with any overbore cartridge, barrel life is dependent on a variety of factors. Avoiding shooting the rifle until the barrel blisters the hand and keeping the chamber clean can go a long way toward extending barrel life. The quality of the craftsmanship is another factor that cannot be ignored in determining barrel life. I've shot quite a few 257 STWs. Those that were owned by someone who applied a bit of common sense are still shooting good groups. Those that were ridden hard and put away wet almost always got new barrels in very short order. Realistically, the average shooter should not observe serious degradation of accuracy for a good number of years with a 257 Weatherby, if they observe some sound rules of care for the rifle, giving it the respect it deserves.

IT will probably last most a liftime as a deer/big game rifle but wont last long as a varmint rifle.

Like the others said, it is the king of the 1/4 bores put out by the factories and man, it should really last quite awhile if it is shot and cared for like Mike described. It is a learning experience to slwo down with them. I know I am learning a bunch just loading for this 264WM. Scotty

TBASTIAN":39vvolxc said:
Pros: They drop game like they were hit by lightning!

Cons: they are addicting!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Seriously great caliber.

Neat cartridge:

Cons:
factory loaded ammo is expensive (but generally high quality)
.257 Wby brass head stamped Weatherby or Norma is expensive (but high quality)
Some concern about barrel life, but it's no worse than other "overbore" cartridges

Pros:
Even better than a .25-06, which is a great varmint, coyote, pronghorn & deer cartridge
Shoots flat as all get out
Light recoil

We've even got a guy who has posted here about using his .257 Wby on elk, with good success.

I'm not a magnum guy at all and don't really subscribe to the "speed kills" school of thought. I have a 257 Ackley Imp which is credited in the Sierra load manual as the most efficient of the quarterbores, getting 25-06 numbers (3300 fps from 100s, 3k w/ 115s) from a bit less powder.

That having been said, I recently traded into a 257 Weatherby and have been very impressed with its performance. A lot of that credit has to go to the accuracy of the platform (Weatherby Vangard or Howa 1500) and the fit of the stock to me (both of which go a long way toward endearing me toward the rifle, regardless of cartridge) but even so the cartridge itself is pretty awesome.

With a 100 gr ETip (which has a BC of .409) at 3600 fps and a 300 yd zero I'm 3" high at 200 yds & 7" low at 400!!!! That is a point-blank hold out to like 375 yds on deer-sized game, and just over 400 on elk or moose!!!!!!!

To give a comparison, I'm getting 3250 fps from a 100 gr Interlock fueled by 50 gr of IMR-4350 in my Ackley, and (likely- chrono testing this Thursday) 3600 fps from 70 gr of RL22 w/ the Etip in the Roy. Both deliver honest 1-hole groups at 100 (my Ackley out to 200) so all I have to do is my part.

The Roy, btw, gave me 1-hole groups on the 2nd range session out. It was that easy. Again, a lot to do w/ the rifle, but still. I've never loaded for a belted magnum at all and it was that easy.

As has been mentioned, ammo is expensive but ultra-high quality and you can sell the 1x brass for good money in the classifieds (or just PM me!!) if you're so inclined. Norma of Sweden (on contract w/ Weatherby) offers a wide variety of loads including 100 gr TSXs.

The 257 Roy is a bad-a$$ cartridge, no doubt. I have a feeling that my first magnum experience is geniune love-at-first-sight (pun intended :) )!!!!!!!!!!!!!

efw":22mw1idb said:
I'm not a magnum guy at all and don't really subscribe to the "speed kills" school of thought. I have a 257 Ackley Imp which is credited in the Sierra load manual as the most efficient of the quarterbores, getting 25-06 numbers (3300 fps from 100s, 3k w/ 115s) from a bit less powder.

That having been said, I recently traded into a 257 Weatherby and have been very impressed with its performance. A lot of that credit has to go to the accuracy of the platform (Weatherby Vangard or Howa 1500) and the fit of the stock to me (both of which go a long way toward endearing me toward the rifle, regardless of cartridge) but even so the cartridge itself is pretty awesome.

With a 100 gr ETip (which has a BC of .409) at 3600 fps and a 300 yd zero I'm 3" high at 200 yds & 7" low at 400!!!! That is a point-blank hold out to like 375 yds on deer-sized game, and just over 400 on elk or moose!!!!!!!

To give a comparison, I'm getting 3250 fps from a 100 gr Interlock fueled by 50 gr of IMR-4350 in my Ackley, and (likely- chrono testing this Thursday) 3600 fps from 70 gr of RL22 w/ the Etip in the Roy. Both deliver honest 1-hole groups at 100 (my Ackley out to 200) so all I have to do is my part.

The Roy, btw, gave me 1-hole groups on the 2nd range session out. It was that easy. Again, a lot to do w/ the rifle, but still. I've never loaded for a belted magnum at all and it was that easy.

As has been mentioned, ammo is expensive but ultra-high quality and you can sell the 1x brass for good money in the classifieds (or just PM me!!) if you're so inclined. Norma of Sweden (on contract w/ Weatherby) offers a wide variety of loads including 100 gr TSXs.

The 257 Roy is a bad-a$$ cartridge, no doubt. I have a feeling that my first magnum experience is geniune love-at-first-sight (pun intended :) )!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you verify that you are getting 3600fps with an E-Tip with a 24" tube I will be most impressed!
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you won't, but most folks have trouble getting upper end vel. with an E-Tip before pressures climb, so it will be interesting. Even if 3500 or so it will be impressive anyway.
Good luck!

nomosendero":3o4a8vex said:
...most folks have trouble getting upper end vel. with an E-Tip before pressures climb...

Then it'll be on to the TTSX w/ its driving bands, which I'm told allow more speed.

Free markets rule ;) !

Of course the BC of the Barnes isn't likely as high due to those same driving bangs... they list .397 which isn't much of a difference, but I don't tend to trust their numbers as much as Nosler or Sierra. That isn't to say they're dishonest, just that I'm pretty sure that Nosler & Sierra (vs. Barnes, Speer, & Hornady, my favorite bullet company) verify their computer models to real life conditions.

efw":uclxpse0 said:

a couple instances of the DRT effect of high speed impacts will convince you that no matter how ya look at it "Speed does indeed kill"
RR

Ridge_Runner":r4e71sv3 said:
a couple instances of the DRT effect of high speed impacts will convince you that no matter how ya look at it "Speed does indeed kill"
RR

I don't doubt that'd be true if this were one of my first rifles, but I've seen that from standard cartridges in several instances, so I won't be likely to attribute such reactions to the speed per se...

Back