.270 wsm 140gr Accubond & 150gr Norma Oryx vs the jugs..

DrMike":14rdftij said:
I have the 170 Oryx loaded for both the 280 Remington and the 7mm RM. It is a fine bullet. However, I've drifted to other bullets in later years. The 7RM generally shoots either the 175 TBBC or the 175 PT. The 280 is normally loaded with 139 InterLocks or 140 BSTs. I've only recently begun to load 140 grain PTs in my 280.

I may have to monkey with that Oryx some. Just not sure which one!

Same for the Lapua Mega's, they look pretty interesting as well.

BigBear":7ugz37cd said:
SJB358":7ugz37cd said:
DrMike":7ugz37cd said:
I was truly surprised at how tough the Oryx proved to be. I need to dig out what remains of the ammunition loaded with Oryx bullets that lurks somewhere in my gun room.

It has given me some pause. They have a 156 Oryx for the 7x57 Mauser that just might be pretty cool in my son's rifle. Might have to order a box the next time I buy some bullets. They look fantastic to me. That bullet from the 270WSM was smoking and did 7 jugs. There isn't much on this side of the world that would need more than that. That is very impressive to me.

Scotty, the Oryx also punctured the 8th jug, but was clearly caught in the 7th, the mushroom looks like a 20 Ga slug, clearly an ultra premium bullet, your buddy, Lou :wink:

It is serious in performance! No doubt!

Scotty, these are two great bullets for sure, I like them both, although the Norma Oryx has a low BC of .373, it's not a ultra long range bullet like the AccuBond is. I measured the expansion at work today, here's what I got...Lou.

140gr Nosler AccuBond..expanded diameter (.471")
150gr Norma Oryx..expanded diameter (.599")
010-1-1.jpg

Either one expanded enough to deliver significant damage to any animal shot with them.

I was thinking your Oryx load would be a really good load for black bears, it opens real wide and should have good shocking power if there is such a thing.

gerry":3on2ajmo said:
I was thinking your Oryx load would be a really good load for black bears, it opens real wide and should have good shocking power if there is such a thing.

Hi Gerry, yes it would. I have taken 7 bruins, some with a 7 mag and 338wmag..and believe it or not, the 7mag has always done alot more damage (small bullet, but very hyper) HUGE exit holes as well.The .270wsm would hammer them the same way, along with moose/elk etc.I well be packing both these bullets for moose this fall to newfoundland, and have total confidence in both these loads.Which one I use, I can't really say at this point, I'll know better when I see the terrain that I'll be hunting, Regards, Lou :)

Lou, that does make a lot of sense fast bullets that expand violently are going to do some damage :) With bears even though we take the meat I don't mind more damage, it's pretty good but not the same as a deer or moose. The new 200 gr AccuBond from the 35 Whelen might be the ultimate black bear bullet :)

BigBear":3cu64a70 said:
Scotty, these are two great bullets for sure, I like them both, although the Norma Oryx has a low BC of .373, it's not a ultra long range bullet like the AccuBond is. I measured the expansion at work today, here's what I got...Lou.

140gr Nosler AccuBond..expanded diameter (.471")
150gr Norma Oryx..expanded diameter (.599")
010-1-1.jpg

I am with the others, both of them would cause some havoc. I like the looks of the Oryx though. Would be cool to see how they do in moose..

Gerry, you got me thinking about that 200 AB in the Whelen. May have to monkey with it some in the Whelen if time permits. I am thinking RL15 would make it go fast as well. Plus, since it is shorter than the 225 but with the same nose, it should work just as well on top of my current settings...

Very nice test. Thanks for sharing.

It's impressive how much that Oryx expanded, held together and penetrated.

Both bullets should definitely do the trick on just about anything you choose to use them on.

Has anyone used the 150 PT it would be an interesting comparison to the 150 Oryx? Might provide a more even comparison for expansion and penetration?

nvbroncrider":2w4udcgz said:
Has anyone used the 150 PT it would be an interesting comparison to the 150 Oryx? Might provide a more even comparison for expansion and penetration?

I have a good feeling the 150 PT would be just as awesome as the Oryx. It will shed the front and drive deep.. The 270WSM is always a strong contender for my back up elk rifle. With the 150 PTs, I have no issues with taking it to the elk woods and knowing it will do what it is supposed to.

nvbroncrider":1ara6eqi said:

The 150gr nosler Partition well be next. Between Scotty and I, we well test the Partition on the jugs as well, it's just a matter of who has the chance to get it done first...my guess would be 6-7 jugs @25yds as well.Should perform very well. I would have tested the 150gr Partition, but did not have any at the time, nor enough jugs..I well also be testing the 150gr hornady interbond (hand loads) @3100fps as well, I well report the results in a few weeks, Lou.

BigBear":3ba1yhsg said:
nvbroncrider":3ba1yhsg said:

The 150gr nosler Partition well be next. Between Scotty and I, we well test the Partition on the jugs as well, it's just a matter of who has the chance to get it done first...my guess would be 6-7 jugs @25yds as well.Should perform very well. I would have tested the 150gr Partition, but did not have any at the time, nor enough jugs..I well also be testing the 150gr hornady interbond (hand loads) @3100fps as well, I well report the results in a few weeks, Lou.

Those Interbonds should be a good test too Lou. They are some great bullets as well. They tend to hold onto alot of weight. Used the 130 IB's in my 270WSM some and they shot excellent and were about the fearsomest deer bullet I have seen out of that rifle.

270wsm":1dxyk724 said:
Here's another pic fellas...the bullet on the left is an 140gr AccuBond i recovered using a .270 win @ 2950fps @25yds, and caught in the 5th jug it weighs 98grs for 70% weight retention, then the .270wsm norma oryx in the middle, and 140gr AccuBond 86grs for 62% weight retention from .270wsm as well, awsome bullets for sure..Lou
010-1.jpg
The Oryx is one heck of a bullet!...As is the nosler Partition and AccuBond :grin: ..I'm gonna do a jug test with both AccuBond and norma oryx in .375 H&H magnum very soon..Lou

Back