280 brass

colt45

Beginner
Jun 2, 2006
I have got to say,I am impressed. I went to nosler's web site looking for data on the AccuBond and stumbled into here. Two pots of coffee later, I had found what I was looking for and more. Seeing alot reload for the 280 rem. I had to register and ask my question.

Is there any brass for the 280 rem. other than Win nickel or Remington and if there is where would a person find it?

Thank you JD, I might have caught that eventually but you sped things up. I've looked through Nosler's online store and they didn't have 280 listed.Is this something that's comeing in '06 or have they not updated the site .
I've also been reading that with the nosler brass you have to reduce your loads because the brass is heavier? IF so how much?

I have been loading 140gr BT on 56.5 grns of RL19 in Win brass.Today, I bought a box of 140 AB that I will load with the same powder.

Again, thank you,
Forrest

colt45,

RL19 is a great powder for the 280 Rem. I use 57.0 grs with the 140 gr BT, R-P case and Federal GM210M primers.
This load shoots well under MOA from my M700 Classic and has killed many WT deer and a coouple of Caribou bulls like a bolt of lighting.

JD338

Colt 45
Are you having problems with the Win Nickel cases?
As JD stated, the .280 is an awesome round. I have a M700 Stainless that has taken me a little longer than normal to find a good laod for. I'm using Viht powder and either 140 / 150 grain B-Tips.

Powerstroke,

What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Try 57.0 gr RL 19 (work up) with the 140 gr BT. MV is close to 3000 fps and in 2 different M700's shoots well under 1 inch at 100 yds.

JD338

JD

I'm roughly .75in @ 200yrds. I had the issue previously in my .300RUM using the bench-rest primers that I also use in the .280.
I've never used any of the RL powder, but would certianly try some. think I'm going to switch to the magnum primers too.

Powerstroke,

Some have had good luck with magnum primers in the 280 Rem, I have never used them. Remember to start low and work up if you switch to the magnum primers.
Give RL 19 a try, it gives excellent accuracy withthe 140 gr BT and PT bullets. I never really did much with the 150 gr weight, went up to 160 gr PT's for an elk load. I have used the 140 gr PT on WT deer and the BT for WT deer and Caribou. Only recovered 1 BT from a WT, quarting on shot at 150 yds. The bullet entered in front of the left shoulder and was found under the hide at the back of the rib cage on the right side.
The 140 gr AB would be an excelent choice for all but the bigger game like elk and moose. For those, I would take a look at the 160 gr AB or PT.

JD338

JD
I appreciate the information.
Off that subject and onto the Accubonds. I have a .300RUM that is new to me. The 180gr Accubonds...?? Are they the "same" as the B-tips? I've only eye-balled them, but they appear different? Input?
Thanks

Powerstroke,

The AB is a bonded version of the BT. I do believe that the AB is slightly longer than the BT and point of impact and group size may differ between the two.
The 180 gr AB would be an excellent choice for the 300 RUM. You can hunt just about anything from deer to moose with a single bullet/load.
I have the 338 RUM and have taken deer, elk and bear, all one shot drop in their track kills. The 300 RUM with the 180 gr AB should give similar results.

JD338

JD
I've always been about shot placement, and used fairly light calibers for any hunting I've done. Elk generally get the 7-08 or .280. I'm actually more of a stick chucker for elk, but when we dont' draw archery here, we go rifle elk instead. I bought the .300RUM due to almost hurican type forces we see at altitude hunting. I'm realy hoping that 180gr AccuBond can buck some wind!!
What powder are you having the best luck with in your .338RUM ?

Powerstroke,

The higher BC bullets do better in the wind. The 200 gr AB from your 300 RUM would be a better choice for wind drift. Take a look at RL 25 with 200 gr AB.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... lletid=427

In my 338 RUM, RL 22 is best for 200 gr BT, 210 gr PT, and 225 gr PT, shooting all under .5". RL 25 shoots 225 gr AB into .587" and 250 gr PT under .5".

JD338

colt45, I have been reloading the .280 nickle brass for about 8 years and find that they hold up to numerous firings with very minimal case trimining required. I neck size only because the load is for only that specific rifle. I have tried mag primers as well as the standard ones. I like the magnum primers best because they are hotter. As JD338 stated until you already have a good load worked up with the mag primers, if you change the primer and go with the magnum ones reduce from the max. I use my .280 for just about everything from groundhogs to mulies and caribou. Even used it as the backup rifle on an elk hunt a few years back.

Nosler now makes good .280 brass. I have no problem w/ RP but I prefer Norma. It's a bit pricey but seems to last longer than the RP. I have not needed mag primers & in my rifle, Fed210Match give slightly better accuracy.
As far as powder, every rifle is diff. but mine likes slower powders for best accuracy & vel. IMR7828 is great w/ bullets from 140-175gr. H4831sc is just as accurate but about 75-100fps slower.

Thanks to everyone for all the info, lightning ate the 'puter just now back up and running. My reason for wanting adifferent brass is that I load for two different 280s . Each rifle takes a different powder(one likes RL 19 the other IMR4831) While the differences are neglible in velocites neither rifle likes the others load. OH one rifle is mine and the other is my fathers.Once while hunting I picked up some of the ammo for dads and wondered why my accuracy went to pot. so with all your help i now now know which is which by sight thanks again

Back