280 Rem. 120 BTips

JJH

Beginner
Feb 24, 2016
Questions for the brain trust....

After an eleven month wait, my 280 M70 FWT Shot Show Special arrived. I plan on starting with IMR4350 and 120gr Ballistic Tips. Having read a lot of good press on this bullet, I think it would be close to perfection on our local whitetails, pushed to about 3100fps, or so.

My questions relate to currently published Nosler data:

52gr. 3008 fps
54gr. 3065fps
56gr. 3243fps

A: this is significantly hotter than earlier Nosler manuals.
B: in going from 52 to 54, velocity increases less than 60 fps, but adding an additional 2 grains, to 56, yields an almost 200 fps increase??? Seems counter intuitive.

I'd appreciate any informed comments or opinions. Thanks.

First thing, congratulations on a great rifle. I have no doubt you will enjoy this rifle very much. I owned a push feed Model 70 that shot lights out. I now own one of the CRF Model 70s built in New Haven. Again, it is a great rifle, having accounted for many, many whitetails and mule deer. I shot 139/140 grain bullets in my rifle. I used 139 grain Hornady SPs and 140 grain BTs. They never failed me. Your rifle will no doubt deliver the game for you. The 120 g BTs should work very well for you.

As to your question, Nosler is reporting their observations and not projecting according to theory. While pressure curves are almost always predictable, observed velocities can (and do) vary somewhat from expectations due to a variety of factors. Consequently, your own data may differ substantially from what Nosler reports. What you can be confident of is that the data Nosler presents has been pressure-tested given the conditions of their test. Using the same components will usually yield similar results. However, because of lot-to-lot variation, differences in chamber measurements and differences in barrel specifications, always work up the load.

Congratulations on the new M70.
Also take a look at RL19.

JD338

Mike nailed my thoughts on it. The 120 should knock Whitetails silly.

Congrats on that rifle. Sounds really slick.

Nice rifle and superb cartridge. It will serve you well. If for some reason it does not like the 120 gr. BT, try either the 140 gr. AccuBond or Partition. They both are fantastic in the .280.

JJH, welcome to the forum. The Nosler shooters pro shop currently has 120 gr BT on sale very cheap. They are factory first bullets with blue tips instead of the usual red tips for 7mm bullets. I was meaning to buy some for my 280 featherweight as I have never tried them. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer or antelope. Imr4350 and 140 gr bullets have been a staple in my gun. However, I did discover that RL19 was more accurate. Good luck with it.

I've used IMR4350, RL19, RL22, N165 and WXR in my 280s. These were mostly with 139/140 grain bullets. Recently, I've had excellent success with H100V and 140 grain Partitions. This may get the nod for fall hunts that include elk and moose this year. I'll see.

Just checked the pro shop and those 120's are out of stock already. They caught my eye a few days ago, guess I should have bought them then. They do have 140gr partitions for $14.95/50 though. As DrMike said, that's an awfully good bullet for the 280 as well.

I have had great luck with the 120 BT on both hogs and whitetail out of a 7-08. You will like them!

BretN":2tqoy8wu said:
Just checked the pro shop and those 120's are out of stock already. They caught my eye a few days ago, guess I should have bought them then. They do have 140gr partitions for $14.95/50 though. As DrMike said, that's an awfully good bullet for the 280 as well.
Grab some while you can! (y)

Back