286gr Partition 9.3x62 vs Moose (no bullet recovered)

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
Shot a bull moose at 280 yards with 286gr Nosler Partition with MV of 2450fps. First shot behind front shoulder exited out thru upper leg bone of opposite leg. Perfect performance. Moose ran a few feet and my buddy hit it in the spine just above the last rib. He was using a 300 Win mag with federal premium 180 Partition. The 300 bullet broke the spine dropping the bull but stopped in the vertebrae. A third shot at 15 yards into the bulls skull with the 9.3x62 failed to exit and bullet was unrecovered.

The 286gr Partition is my go to bullet in the 9.3x62. Its perfectly constructed for the 9.3 velocity window and is both accurate and extremely hard hitting.

That seems like excellent performance! Glad the Partition worked out so well for you. They've always performed well for me.

I believe the first Nosler Partitions were devised because of a moose hunt...

Thebear_78

Congratulations on the moose.

JD338

Congrats on getting your bull, any pictures of it you can post? Your 9.3x62 is one of the very best moose guns available plus it is just plain cool.

Good report. I'm looking forward to any pictures you post of this hunt. I'm planning on exploring Partitions for my 9.3 X 64 Brenneke when I get it. I can only imagine that it will work very well for moose and bear.

We didn't get any pictures of the bull, but did get a little bit of video. Sadly my dad is a very poor cameraman and didn't actually get the moose in the video until the ver end just enough that you got to see it fall into the edge of the TV screen. :)

It was a small bull and we didn't get any pictures other than that little bit of video and that wasn't digital so its on a tape at my parents house. My digital camera had already died from getting wet. We were hunting off the airboat in the rain so pretty much everything gets wet.

That bull died in thigh deep water. Nothing is quite as messy as dressing a moose in water, everything your wearing gets covered in blood and you end up riding back to camp wearing nothing but your underwear.

This is the above mentioned camera man and airboat
dadboat.jpg

It looks like grass but its floating vegetation and is actually knee to waist deep.
mooswamp.jpg

Thebear_78,

I agree. There is nothing like cleaning a moose that has dropped into a pond during a snowstorm. It does challenge the determination to complete the task. Congratulations on your perseverance.

Congratulations on shooting the moose but they are a pain when they die in the water, hope that you could get him butchered enough and out of the water?

Once we got him gutted out we could pull/push him onto the nose of the boat and motored to a fairly dry spot to dismantle him. It all worked out well and we got lots of good meat for the freezer.

Back