3 off of one stand and a decent day trapping awhile back

coyotetrapper

Beginner
Feb 9, 2007
I had these 3 come in on one stand fast action and sure is fun!

IM0008542.jpg

I ran my late winter coyote line a decent day, minus the mange!!!!

DSC00347.jpg

Nice!!

I"ve never killed 3 coyotes on 1 stand. Shoot come to think of it, I dont think I've ever even killed 2 on one stand. Lucky to get 1 most the time, lol!!

Out of all the coyotes I've shot and seen up here, I haven't seen any with mange...

You must have quite a healthy coyote population in that area. Looks like a great day of hunting.

coyotetrapper

Nicely done, congratulations.

JD338

I've been trying to call in some multiples now that I have my AR, but no luck so far. Nicely done! When you call in more than one do you shoot the back one first and try to work closer as they run off. Or do you keep calling and wait for them to stop again and shoot the next one or two?

Nice job. I was wondering about your caller? Is that one of those homemade ones?

Corey

Actually our coyote numbers are down by about 40% due to mange running through them the last 5 years hard, hoping to see after this winter a clearing up of this mange right now it runs 50% in alot of my area, but seeing less of the real bad off ones so hoping this winter with alot of cold and decent snow knocked them in the shorts!

It all depends on the age of the coyotes. If I know I'm dealing with mobil pups say August- Sept I just shoot the closest ones and keep calling pup coyotes are real suckers LOL. If I'm dealing with a denning deal 2 adults or maybe 3 with a baby sitter then I take the furthest 1 first, many times that will be the female coyote as most often the male is the most agressive and will be the first one to come charging in. At times they both come on a dead run and can't get them to stop for nothing then let them come and it is shotgun time! LOL.

Getting multiples on a stand isn't real hard it just takes some patiance the more I have called coyotes I see what slowing down and reading the situation can do for killing mutiple coyotes, I do this with a bolt action as do many others I know. If I kill one I get right on coyote talk and wait as "most" will stop to give you another shot you can tell the ones that will and won't, if they lope away after dropping the buddy odds are good they will stop and give you a look back but it could be 400 yards or more, dead on the run coyotes well you may have to hold up or take a running shot.

Here is another 3 bagger Pa,Ma and junior they where all working over an old ranch dog in August when he would go west of his house to shop silage he looked in the mirror of the tractor and here is 5 coyotes out there roughinh up his ranch dog! I knew they where denning close as this happened at 10am in the morning, I set up and call pa and ma in took about 5 mins and junior came about 3 mins after that, I had the other 2 pups in traps down a fence line, didn't know that until after I had called this location, I'm sure those pup's whimpering away in the traps had the adults just worked up into a furry of fire LOL. Ended that problem right quick! Wish it was that easy all the time LOL.

Picture012.jpg

Awesome, just keep knocking them down. Also, getting those that were sick out of the population was good also.

Nice work.
I used to do some trapping a while back. Catching yotes is a challenge.
I have been thinking of getting back in to it but so many other things are consuming my time.
What size trap are you using and what set were you using. I think I was using a #3 coil or a MB650. The dirt hole was alwaye a catch all but the scent post seemed to work better.

I use sterling mj600's the orignal coyote trap LOL. I also use modified #3 bridger offsets. Been through alot of traps down the years but these 2 I feel work the best for me. I use some dirt holes, and alot of walk thru type sets. Very few urine post sets due to high rabbitt and deer pops.
I also use alot of snares as well. All tools to help control coyotes on sheep ranches and spring calving. Calling still to me is the most fun but I do enjoy trapping/snaring as well.

Back