3 vs 2 screw Model 70

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I got two post-64 model 70s that are both three screw with two piece bottom metal. I read an article about upgrading to two screw one piece bottom metal. I know in theory that it may be an improvement but would like to hear from someone who has actually gone though the process. This doesn't come without cost, so would like to hear about the amount of accuracy gained.

The three screw stock has a shallow inlet under the front action screw. To change to a one piece you will have to do some inletting. There is also a possibility you will need to file on the magazine box. I really didn't notice any improvement in accuracy.

The action screw spacing is different. I have both pre and post mod70's in 264wm. Even the triggers are not compatible.

I got two post-64 model 70s that are both three screw with two piece bottom metal. I read an article about upgrading to two screw one piece bottom metal. I know in theory that it may be an improvement but would like to hear from someone who has actually gone though the process. This doesn't come without cost, so would like to hear about the amount of accuracy gained.
Not worth it to me Gerry. The 3 screws work fine with a little thought..

Back