30 cal 165gr Part. and Grizz question

ruttinbuck

Beginner
Oct 10, 2004
my T3 300 winmag shoots the 165gr bullets much more accurately than the 180gr pills.I am wondering whether a 165gr part. @ 3050 fps would be considered suffice Griz medicine.This load is hitting with 2900# @100yds, 2500# @ 200yds and 2000# @ 300yds.I would not try to shoot a griz over 200 yds away,just using the energy numbers to detail the load I am using.I am trying to get to one load for all hunting.Thanks in advance RB

Well this one is a tough question.

Personally I always like the heavier bullets. Just a bit more copper and lead doing the job, the trade off is the loss of velocity.

We generally say that the 165gr PT is a great one bullet does all, meaning elk-deer-antelope-black bears.

The grizz will die from a 165, but at what comfort level to you. Confidence is important. A 180 to me is just that little bit extra.

Also, what species of grizz? Coast or Interior?

I would be trying for an interior grizz.I think I am going to play with the 180 AccuBond here some more,maybe try the 180 PT in a few more loads.Thanks of the info.RB

I have been in at the death of a number of Grizzlies and I love NP bullets. In a .300 Mag. of any description, I would and have used the 200 gr. NP, which I consider best for B.C. conditions; I also use this in my .30-06 rifles and would prefer it as an all around bullet to anything lighter. The heavier NPs, I find, do less meat damage than any other bullets I have used, shoot accurately and penetrate well from all angles.

I would NEVER shoot at a Grizzly at over 125 yds., period. I might also point out that ALL Grizzlies in North America are the same species and the size, tenacity and aggressiveness of a given specimen is not determined by geography. I have spent decades working in Grizzly country and the single largest one I have ever seen was in the West Kootenays. While coastal specimens will tend to average larger, the difference does not matter with respect to danger to humans; actually, a number of authorities consider the interior Bears more aggressive than the Salmon-sated monsters of the coast. I do my best to avoid them all!

thanks Kutenay for the input.
The T3 has a 1:11" twist rate and it likes the lighter bullets.That said if I want to use the rifle for Grizz,I can develop a 200gr load and as long as it will group under 2 MOA reliably I can use it to 150yds +/-.I am under that with the 180 AccuBond now and have'nt tried 190gr or 200 gr bullets.It looks like the 165gr will stay my load and if I ever get drawn for Ursus horribilis then I can work on a heavier load. RB

Ruttinbuck, you may want to try a flat based bullet like the 180 Partition as opposed to a boattail..rifles with a slow twist seem to like them much better, and besides, that 180 or nearly any type is better than a 165 of any type...Kootenay is right about bears, smaller don't mean it's a wus..my bud shot a 150 LB black bear up here a couple years ago with a 375 H&H with a 270 X and it took him 4 rounds to kill it ALL WITH SOLID HITS..bears just don't want to die and a griz with thetenacity to live that gets wind of your direction is gonna do his best to eradicate you from his world.

Thanks Whelanator.
I am new to the Grizz game.I have hunted in their country but not for them.I am always open to details and any experiences retold to me.I will have at least a good 180gr PT load if not a 200gr load if I decide to try and take one for myself.I understand the 165gr PT has the power to kill a big bear, just not enough insurance in stopping him quickly after the hit.I had overlooked that detail.
Judging by your spelling of Kootenay you must be from BC or the surrounding area.RB

The 200 Partition would be my choice also. I always keep a few on my person when hunting in Grizzly country [practically whenever I am hunting!] There should be no problem with the 200 Partition in a 1-11" twist, since I get super groups in 2 of my 30 cal rifles with the 1-12" twist, that right out to 400 yards, probably further than one should be shooting at a Grizz. The 200 penetrates like mad, and is the best .308 diameter stopper Nosler makes in true spitzer form. The 165 P, while a great bullet, gives up a fair amount of penetration due to lower sectional density. Regards, Eagleye.

ruttinbuck":slh66i4v said:
my T3 300 winmag shoots the 165gr bullets much more accurately than the 180gr pills.I am wondering whether a 165gr part. @ 3050 fps would be considered suffice Griz medicine.This load is hitting with 2900# @100yds, 2500# @ 200yds and 2000# @ 300yds.I would not try to shoot a griz over 200 yds away,just using the energy numbers to detail the load I am using.I am trying to get to one load for all hunting.Thanks in advance RB
I would feel better with a 200 gr Partition or even AB at 2700 fps. :wink:

Eagleye-thanks for the comments.I was beginning to think all 1-11" twists did'nt like the heavier weights.Do your experiences echo Whelenators?Do your slow twist barrels shoot the partitions better than say the accubonds?I will look at the data and figure out where I should start.
Pop-thanks for the input always looking for more "been there done that" knowledge.regards RB

Rb, you ever make any headway out of all these opinions on these forums? I used to get on several in a night and try to ask a lot of questions concerning reloading, killing stuff, and just general knowledge, but I came to the point that it's just better to get a buddy that thinks almost like you do who has been there, done that, just like you said on an earlier post. I had always read Keith and guys like Boddington in more recent years and Taffin, Linebaugh..too many to name..most of these guys have one thing in common.they like a heavy-for-caliber bullet in the heaviest caliber you can shoot comfortably..I personally use a Remington
700 Custom Shop Alaskan Wilderness Rifle in 375 H&H with a Leupold 1-3/4-6 X 32 in warne QR mounts....it weighs just enough to make you think your teeth will fall out if you shoot it off the bench, but I shoot it enough to make it hit MOA with 270 GR Barnes XLC's running about 2650 or so...does it shoot flat as a 300 Win Mag or 300 ultra?? Heck no, but DO NOT get in it's way....It will shoot through a brown bear or moose through the shoulders or end-to-end with no problem and you just don't recover bullets.....some food for thought for ya...there's a lot of guys using a 30 caliber for bears, both black, and griz, but all the friends I have who have shot bears with 20's, trade up sooner or later.

Whelenator-well said.
I am a regular at a few of these forums.I take in alot with out too terribly much to say.I tried to hash through what alot of guys have to say,you can pick up some good points reading an arguement.
I am a mule deer nut/occasional sheep chaser.Throw in the odd elk trip and you have my hunting.The 300 winmag is my first magnum and I want to use it to its potential.It was bought for long range muley shooting primarily.If I can get the T3 to group with the heavy bullets I will use them,I am an accuracy nut not a speed nut.I will be continuing with 180gr AccuBond or Part. development here in the new year.If I can get under 2MOA with the 200gr PT I will trying my luck in the draw for a tag.RB

Rb, interesting your an accuracy nut.. I too want groups ya can't even see as three rounds...I feel like if your rifle doesn't finally get a 180 or 200 AccuBond shooting to .75 inches, trade it for one that will. Every rifle I have fooled with using Accubonds have responded superbly with them..they are not exactly a Ballistic Tip, so ya can't always go load-for-load, but I have so far fired about 6 weights in 3 calibers and 4 or 5 different rifles so I have fired a dump truck load of them this summer. Remingtons like them, Brownings like them, Colt Light Rifles REALLY like a 160 AB...GO HERE> http://groups.msn.com/MARKSADVENTURES/s ... hotoID=203

Take a look at this AccuBond load....and this is NOT my good load I use...
I fly out for Texas in just a couple hours so I might not get back to this conversation for a few days after about 9 pm tonight AK time.

I have some 180gr Accubonds here,along with some 7828 and RL22.I will start there and keep you posted.

Those 2 powders are a great start, but be sure and try RL-25....makes for fast and accurate loads...that's what I use in my 7 MAG and 160 AB's..it fills the case up real full which seems to work better in belted magnums

Back