300 Weatherby and 165gr ballistic tips?

WVHILLBILLYJLM

Beginner
Nov 1, 2006
Does anyone have any pet loads or experiences with this combination that they are willing to share? I will be hunting whitetail deer.

Thanks

Pop said "stay away from close range shots. "
I agree, I shot a buck mulie (big one) at 55 yards with a 100 gr ballistic tip in a 25-06. It just blew up on the hide and fat layer.

Wanting to know how to get 3400 fps out of this load, anyone know? I think that's a little much out of a 300 weath. with 165's. Someone prove me wrong here.

I've loaded 165's for a 300 weatherby mag and got really close to 3400fps. I lost all of my data in a fire though and don't remember the exact load. Weatherby's web site list a 165 sp in their ammunition line at 3390fps. That's close enough in my book.

That's what I was wanting to know, the fastest load I see in Nosler with the 165 is 3242 which is their max, to be able to go beyond their max another 158 fps would seem a little dangerous to me, but like I said I haven't seen any faster data, and figured if there was someone here would know....

I have loaded a 300 WSM at over 3200 with this bullet and haven't had a failure with 3 dead whitetail bucks and 1 doe. Ranges from 40-over 250 yards. They just blow a hole through and expand real well, never a bullet recovered. Just don't be stupid and shoot game in with the THS.

I inherited a 300wby last year from a family friend who's father had passed away. I shoot the 150 AB with 86 grns of H4831sc. It flys at 3490. Last year I let a few people barrow it. It harvested 4 deer including mine from 160 yards to 402 yards, all one shot kills in eastern Oregon. I shot a 6X6 bull at 496 yards last year. This year I killed a 6X6 at about 100 yards. I hit it in the shoulder. The bullet performed great. It easily double its diameter went through one shoulder and came to rest on the hide on the far side. I'm headed to Kansas with it this week. People can have their own opinion of bullet weight, placement is as important.

Bwana":2z9bpn5m said:
People can have their own opinion of bullet weight, placement is as important.

In my opinion....more important!

Pop, your absolutely right. All the bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, and sectional density in world can't help you if you can't hit anything, or don't have good shot placement.

I have a load that hits 3470 with a 168 GR TSX. Load is 85.5 GR IMR7828. lot# 8230. 3.70 OCL. Shots Sub-MOA at 300 YD. This is the max load that will come out in 2008 in the Barnes 4th edition. with this bullet. No signs of pressure on the case.
Just a FYI :wink:

300WB

hillbilly, i too hunt the wv hillsides with a high plains rifle...that said, i know this will open a can of worms, but it's been my experience (bad) that a BT is not the right bullet for that kind of velocity...especially inside 100 yards. a Partition or AccuBond will give you much better performance. while on the subject, i shot a doe saturday with a 7 mag at about 20 yards with a 140 AB. the bullet entered at the brisket and ended on the pelvic bone with a weight retention of 95.9 grains...not bad at 3300 fps.
now, before everyone sends me hate-mail for badmouthing the BT, take a look at the FAQ section of this page. nosler recommends this bullet for less than 3000FPS...outstanding accuracy, just a little fragile for me.

Back