.300 win mag build

jezzolo":1u40w8dm said:
Well I decided to have a .308 cal built and settled on the .300 win mag due to a couple reason. 1st is brass availability. I had a 28 nosler built a few years ago and getting brass is a huge pita. I bought 100 a few days ago and that should hold me over for a bit. Ordered a stiller tac 300 action, Huber Concepts 2 stage trigger, hart m24 contour at 26 in with a 1 in 10 twist rate. I have the action and trigger here and barrel will be here Friday. Also a manners elite stock in a midnight color pattern with an adjustable check piece, that’s paid for and being made and still a few weeks out. For glass going with the nightforce 5.5x22x56 with the moar reticle, paid for and waiting for that to be shipped. It will be a bdl style with floor plate. Bottom metal, barrel n action cerakoted a gray color to match the stock. I’ll post a few pictures when I get home from work when the barrel gets here and will post pictures of the progress. Stay tuned....

Curious your thoughts on the 300 wm selection after your experience with 28 nosier. Was it just the brass availability or did you have any issues with needing ammo and not being able to find it because of airlines etc. I have had an airline tell me ammo had to be in a factory box. Granted that can be done fairly easily with handloads if you know ahead of time.

gbflyer":2uda42oo said:
ldg397":2uda42oo said:
This looks like a great build. Very interested in this I am assembling the pieces for a model 70 build. Trying to decide on caliber got it narrowed to 300 wm and 308 Norma leaning wm because of ammo. Looks like 308 Norma brass available.

Which Model 70 action variant are you using?

It’s a Stiller TAC 300. It’s a remington 700 foot print. H my bad that wasn’t to me lol sorry

Curious your thoughts on the 300 wm selection after your experience with 28 nosier. Was it just the brass availability or did you have any issues with needing ammo and not being able to find it because of airlines etc. I have had an airline tell me ammo had to be in a factory box. Granted that can be done fairly easily with handloads if you know ahead of time.[/quote]

Well a couple reasons. I already had win mag dies, components and experience with it. Also components are almost always in stock.

jezzolo":8vvvfwuz said:
Curious your thoughts on the 300 wm selection after your experience with 28 nosier. Was it just the brass availability or did you have any issues with needing ammo and not being able to find it because of airlines etc. I have had an airline tell me ammo had to be in a factory box. Granted that can be done fairly easily with handloads if you know ahead of time.

Well a couple reasons. I already had win mag dies, components and experience with it. Also components are almost always in stock.[/quote]

Same reason I went with a 7mm Mashburn over the 28 myself. I hate being hamstrung with one maker of brass. 300 Win is everywhere.

Update—- Barrel finally shipped from carbon 6. Will arrive at the gun smith this Friday.. hopefully have some pictures of it assembled soon.

Action got barreled today....

Attachments

• 57A5E80E-7791-439B-BB30-AF8F29A23A57.jpeg
    57A5E80E-7791-439B-BB30-AF8F29A23A57.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 302
Bedding is finished. Off for cerakote..

Attachments

• 9DAE9155-56D0-4931-A1D4-A06A2CEE6D61.jpeg
    9DAE9155-56D0-4931-A1D4-A06A2CEE6D61.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 286
All done. He sent me this pic today. Will be test firing it by the end of next week.. how do the darker colors in the stock match the action and barrel?

Attachments

• 8DC65A7E-C940-4334-8CDA-F09E8EEA7949.jpeg
    8DC65A7E-C940-4334-8CDA-F09E8EEA7949.jpeg
    909 KB · Views: 228
Back