300 WSM 165grn loads.

dezmick

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
I am going to be loading up some 165 grn AccuBond as well as Interbond for my 300 WSM to hunt Elk with, i am just wanting to know if anyone has any loads i should try, i have IMR4350, RL17, RL19, and Magpro powders, to go with WLRM and CCI250 Primers, i am sure i should be able to come up with a pretty good load using one of those powders and either of those primers, if anyone has a load using any of those please let me know what it is and how it performs i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks: Mick

Of the three powders listed,the load I've used for those IB's is,65.0grs of IMR-4350 with a Win Magnum primer,Win case,COL is 2.863.That load gives me 3015fps out of my Rem. 700 CDL.It's not a max load,but it was giving me excellent groups,so I stopped right there.That velocity will hammer deer and I killed and elk with it too.I did a little work with Reloader-17 once.I was getting 3155fps with 65.0grs and 3220fps with 66.0grs,but my groups were lousy.I made notes to try 63.0grs and work up to 64.0grs to see if the groups improved.Reloader-19 will work too.It's a little slower than the other two powders.I'd start around 65.0grs and work up in .5grs increments.I'd bet it shoots good between 66.0-67.0grs.As always,start low and work your way up.Every rifle is different.Some of the published loads are too hot for my rifle.

Good luck with your 300WSM. I am following this closely as I plan on getting a 300WSM sooner than later and use about the same powders as you. I know you didn't list it, but RL22 has worked really well in the 270 and 7WSM's. I would think it would be good in the 300 as well. Don't know though, could be playin out in left field again! Scotty

scotty, I've used RE22 with 180 grainers in my .300WSM and have had very good luck. It really is a toss up between IMR4350, IMR4831 and RE22 for this caliber.

Reloader-22 is an excellent powder for the 300WSM.It's been my favorite.My load with 165gr bullets is 69.0grs,it's a couple of grains under max in my rifle,velocity is around 3020fps and prints nice little groups.

...I'd have to go w/ the RL-17, start 64gr/ max 68gr., most everything I've tried (SSTs, Interlocks, NBT, VLDs, just about everything Sierra & Speer in 165gr. tightened up nice toward the higher end around 3200fps...

That is some great speed for a 165! The more I see about the 300WSM, the more I want one. You guys aren't helping me off the ledge much! Scotty

Dr. Mike printed me some quick loads data for RL17 and 165 grn AB, and the max load was 64 grns, would it be safe for me to even try to get up to 68 grns like was suggested, and if so should i just load about 3 or 4 at a time increasing a 1/2 grn at a time? I did see on the Alliant web page that it said 68 grns was the max load for 165 grn Speer BTSP, i am pretty sure that the bullet does not matter, so i guess that i would be able to go up to 68 grns with my 165 grn AB's, as long as i keep an eye out for signs of pressure correct.

Some rifles can shoot higher charges.That 64.0grs of R-17 would be about right for mine.I quit at 66.0grs when my velocity went to 3220fps.I don't even want to think about what it would have been,not to mention the pressure,if I would have just loaded a 68.0gr load and shot it.I think some of the WSM loads are way up there in pressure,to compete with the 300 Win Mag.I've seen some cratered primer pockets on factory loads.

I have done a lot of testing with the 165gr AB with RL-17 and couldnt get as tight of a group as I would have liked. Best recipe with the tigtest group was Nosler 168Gr BT, RL-17 64.5gr cci250 primers and federal cases. These shot better then the 165gr AB no matter what load formula I tried. It just seems that my rifle does not like the 165s. So, I jumped up to the 180s and this made a nice difference in my groups. So, I would suggest the same, if your groups dont tighten up, try moving up in caliber weight. JMTC>

Dr. Mike printed me some quick loads data for RL17 and 165 grn AB, and the max load was 64 grns, would it be safe for me to even try to get up to 68 grns like was suggested, and if so should i just load about 3 or 4 at a time increasing a 1/2 grn at a time? I did see on the Alliant web page that it said 68 grns was the max load for 165 grn Speer BTSP, i am pretty sure that the bullet does not matter, so i guess that i would be able to go up to 68 grns with my 165 grn AB's, as long as i keep an eye out for signs of pressure correct.

Mick,

In medicine, there is considerable wisdom in seeking a second opinion. However, this does not necessarily hold true in hand loading. I provided you with a projection that was considered safe--provided you work up the load to ensure that it does not create pressure in your rifle. You read on this thread that someone else, using a variety of bullets other than the one for which you were provided information, used several more grains of powder and achieved not quite 100 fps more velocity. Then, you asked if you can work up to that charge. The simple answer is that you are responsible for whatever you do in handloading. You have received multiple cautionary statements concerning the information you receive on this forum. The fascinating thing about open forums is that you can always find someone who will say, "Sure, increase the charge. I do it all the time." You can even find a few hearty souls who will discount every statement concerning safety, saying that it is the result of lawyers getting involved. The fact that you have to ask whether the increased charge is safe indicates your lack of experience in reading pressure signs, or you would understand what is happening. You can undoubted gain some velocity through increasing the charge on any load, but bear in mind that there is no free lunch. All else being equal, increased velocity is the result of increased pressure. Pressure is our friend--up to a point; then, it becomes a foe. The 100 fps gain in velocity that you anticipate is not likely worth the risk to your rifle, to the decreased case life or even to the threat to which you expose your digits and eyes.

DrMike":1p0j08x2 said:

Mick,

In medicine, there is considerable wisdom in seeking a second opinion. However, this does not necessarily hold true in hand loading. I provided you with a projection that was considered safe--provided you work up the load to ensure that it does not create pressure in your rifle. You read on this thread that someone else, using a variety of bullets other than the one for which you were provided information, used several more grains of powder and achieved not quite 100 fps more velocity. Then, you asked if you can work up to that charge. The simple answer is that you are responsible for whatever you do in handloading. You have received multiple cautionary statements concerning the information you receive on this forum. The fascinating thing about open forums is that you can always find someone who will say, "Sure, increase the charge. I do it all the time." You can even find a few hearty souls who will discount every statement concerning safety, saying that it is the result of lawyers getting involved. The fact that you have to ask whether the increased charge is safe indicates your lack of experience in reading pressure signs, or you would understand what is happening. You can undoubted gain some velocity through increasing the charge on any load, but bear in mind that there is no free lunch. All else being equal, increased velocity is the result of increased pressure. Pressure is our friend--up to a point; then, it becomes a foe. The 100 fps gain in velocity that you anticipate is not likely worth the risk to your rifle, to the decreased case life or even to the threat to which you expose your digits and eyes.
Thanks for insight Mike, i have not got a chance to load anything for the 300 WSM yet, and on the other loads that you provided me they were all spot on, and i did not see any signs of pressure at all, i was just asking because even on the Alliant Web site it says that 68 grns is the max load for a 165 grn bullet, i did not mean to ruffle any feathers, because as you know i am just now getting into reloading and i am doing everything i can to make sure that i am doing it safely first of all, and correct, so again i want to thank you for all your help i do appreciate it a lot.

Mick,

The feathers aren't terribly ruffled. However, I am concerned whenever someone gives the impression that they can adopt a reported load without a safe workup. Each rifle is different; differing components introduce differing parameters. It is sometimes the case that you can exceed recommended powder charges safely--perhaps you have a "slow barrel," or the lot of powder you are using has a slower burn rate. Bear in mind that the Alliant site reports data developed with Speer bullets, and not with Nosler. There is likely different metallurgy between the two gilding metals on the two bullets, differing bearing surfaces, etc. All this introduces differing pressure potential. Pressure is an average for the chamber in which a load was tested. You cannot assume that even when using identical components that you can simply grab a charge and shoot it safely. Lots vary, the chamber of the test rifle is not your chamber, etc. This is the reason you are advised to drop back and work up to ensure that there are no pressure problems with your load. When you change any component and venture into the unknown, you are on your own. I do not want on my conscience the thought that someone was injured or that they damaged their rifle because they assumed that data I suggested could be adapted without safe procedures.

Thanks Mike, as i said i have loaded and shot a few of your loads that i worked up safely from a low starting point and got to what i felt was a pretty good place to stop, checking for signs of pressure along the way, that is exactly what i have done even on the loads out of the books, so i no way am i saying that it is safe to exceed a max load on any load let alone a load that someone else set up for me and i do not like to use compressed loads at all, not that any of the loads you gave me were that way, i just want you to know that i usually start about anywhere from 3 to 4 grains below any of the Quick loads data that says near maximum, and i load 3 loads at a time going up .5 grains each time just checking for signs of pressure, once i get the load to where i like it then i try to get it zeroed in, most of the time i do not even get to the max load because i find something that works great with good accuracy and no excess pressure with a lower charge. Thanks: Mick

I really think a bullet puller helps alot in these situations. Load up a safe starting load and continue to raise the charge in your load tests by .5 or 1gr increments. Once you are at the range, it really doesn't take too long to fire a few strings of fire to see what your rifle is doing and how it is going to act. Plus, if you hit your max before you are done shooting your higher charges, the bullets are easily recouped and reused, along with your powder and case. Really makes it nice to go to the range with a full set of loads and then just pull what you deem unsafe in your rifle. I know this is a simpleton way of thinking about it, but before pulling bullets I had alot of stragglers around the bench and my ASP (ammunition supply point) that I couldn't do anything with. Now, it is easy to start low and work up. Sorry for the long post, but as always, working up slowly and monitoring the speeds with a good chrono really give you immeasurable amounts of data to work with. Along with keeping your targets. They are like good books, always worthy of going back and rereading. Scotty

Back