300 WSM die questions

TXbaldhunter":24n6jutm said:
mjcmichigan":24n6jutm said:
Did some ladder work then rang the gong at 200 and 300.
180gn using RL26
74.2 - 3070
74.5 - 3072
74.8 - 3111
75.1 - 3105
75.3- 3113
75.5-3116
75.8 -3149

Maybe a nice node at 311x

Wow! that's about what my best loads with 165gr bullets will do.I just bought some R-26,gonna have to try some in my 300WSM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just loaded up a ladder of SGK HPBTs with RL26. QL estimates 3245fps. The QL has been pretty on for me. The QL is in the reloading forum.

R-26 is pretty amazing in a 300wsm. It seems like the perfect case capacity in .30 cal for max speed. I run the same speed as my buddies 300wm with 8grs less powder. Granted he is shooting H1000 and could go to a faster powder like N-570 but it would take even more powder to get that extra speed. The two guns are basically identical and there is a noticeable recoil difference between the two of them too. Now they need to make a powder between R-26 and R-33 that is less bulky then 33 and slower than 26 for those larger magnums.

So I had a really bad outing with my 300 WSM.

Shot 1, high 4”, 1 inch right,
Shot 2, low 4”, 1 inch left
Shot 3, left 2 inch, 2” low.

Scratching head,
Repeated that three times

Now really confused.

I figured something was wrong with my loads. This was my first batch with the new Redding dies.

I expected to beat the 0.6” I was getting on the Hornady dies.

Skipping more bad shooting....

Cleaned it thoroughly, and last night while getting ready to load some pro hunters, I saw it, the read scope mount and ring are not holding fast. The repeating pattern probably had to do with me putting it on the rack every third shot to cool.

Completely amazed with only the front mount holding that anything was repeatable. It’s a Zeiss Conquest, so I would not expect the Zeiss to be the problem till I checked the other things.

Will work on the 243Win and maybe the 300WM while waiting for the scope to be remounted.

I don’t know about you guys but crooked cross hair drive me wild.

I’m guessing the prior owner mounted the scope himself. Crooked and came apart... will have my trusted gunny look it over good.

Oh yeah, I was thinking the same thing as I read your post. Either a bad scope or mounts. Glad you sorted it out.

Back