300 WSM Load Advice

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
I'm trying to wean my 300 WSM off of factory ammo but man it shoots good. So I'm trying to match it. This is Barnes 165 TTSXs.

I measured the factory ammo at an average of 3130.

My handloads I estimate are going 3120. 65.5 gr RL17, CCI 250 primers.

I average .002" longer in my handloads for seating depth.

I shot a group with each today and my handloads are hitting 1.5" higher and not grouping as well, the factory loads group awesome at 100 and 200 yds.

It was hotter when I measured my factory speeds but I think that factory powder should be pretty temp stable.

I shot a 6 round "ladder" to measure velocities of RL 17:

65 - 3110
65.2 - 3115
65.4 - 3118
65.6 - 3125
65.8 - 3122
66 - 3169

Where should I go from here? Seat a little deeper? A little less powder? Crimp? Buy more factory ammo? I'm a little stumped on hitting higher with less velocity with the same bullet but I didn't measure velocities on the same day.

Attachments

• IMG_20191005_093435.jpg
    IMG_20191005_093435.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 699
I'd probably play with seating depth. It looks like you're in a nice broad node with your velocities and those speeds look good as well.

I'd also probably shoot some more groups. 2 three shot groups really isn't indicative of one load being better than the other.

Those 300 WSM’s are great. In general I find annealing the neck can help keep the neck tension consistent. I sear Barnes a bit deeper vs long. As Hodgeman indicates, you got a very nice node with consistent velocity. You should be able to make 65.4gns shoot great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well here's the deal, when I originally seated these I just tried to match the factory ammo almost so if my math is right it is actually .23 off of my lands! I was thinking of jumping in to like .100, Barnes recommends .05. Both would be a big change

bob_dobalina":2hjepxrq said:
Well here's the deal, when I originally seated these I just tried to match the factory ammo almost so if my math is right it is actually .23 off of my lands! I was thinking of jumping in to like .100, Barnes recommends .05. Both would be a big change

I'd try both. I've had rifles that liked a bunch of jump and I've had them that liked bullets right up near the lands. Without any rhyme or reason either!

I did an experiment that once I found a node, I ran a "bullet jump ladder" in .05" increments. I changed the group from 1" to .5" back to 1,5" within just a few rungs.

hodgeman":uxsgaaw4 said:
bob_dobalina":uxsgaaw4 said:
I'd try both. I've had rifles that liked a bunch of jump and I've had them that liked bullets right up near the lands. Without any rhyme or reason either!

I did an experiment that once I found a node, I ran a "bullet jump ladder" in .05" increments. I changed the group from 1" to .5" back to 1,5" within just a few rungs.

Nice! What were your "min" and "max" depths?

bob_dobalina":3p5ghdul said:
hodgeman":3p5ghdul said:
bob_dobalina":3p5ghdul said:

Nice! What were your "min" and "max" depths?

I seem to remember I was about 20 thousandths off out to about 80 thous.

Looks like it's going to be hard to beat factory performance to me might be cheaper in the long run to buy them already rolled...

wildman":c6uzjyet said:
Looks like it's going to be hard to beat factory performance to me might be cheaper in the long run to buy them already rolled...

I know, by the time I get em dialed I'll be out of 165s. Then I have a new box of 168s I'd try to hopefully move to without much change. But my long term goal is to transition back to 180 Accubonds. I kind of got on an all copper kick there for awhile but I am over that. If I buy a new box of factory ammo, I am on that wagon for a year or two.

Try a group or two at .120 off and see how it does. Lots of guys say .100 + off is where they find accuracy.
Personally I haven't played with the monolithics though.

Back