300 WSM Resizing problems

Cooper

Beginner
Oct 15, 2005
I am new to reloading so I'm not sure if my problem is common. I set up my press for my 300WSM casing and after resizing, the bullet would fall right through. I am not sure why this is happening. Prior to setting up for my 300WSM I set up my reloading press for my 270 Win, and everthing worked great. Can anyone help as to why the resizing would still be too big for the 180 gr Accubonds ? If you need more information let me know.
Thanks
NC.

Since you reload for a 270 and have no problems, Like you I'm surprised with your problem

First thing to check is that that your using the right sizing die, shellholder and check the bullet by measuring the bullet with your caliper.

Then always re-read the die directions that came with it. The die or you are either not resizing enough or the expander plug is too big.

I'd remove the expander plug from the die and measure it's outside diameter with your calipers. It should be slightly less than the diameter of the bullet. If not check with the manufacturer.

Then, I'd go through the resizing procedure. Raise the ram all the way up, screw the die down till it hits the ram, lower the ram and give another 1/4 turn to the die so that when the ram is raised again it "cams over" at full stoke. As you know if resized correctly, the neck should be too tight to accept a slug (problem solved). If not check with the manufacturer.

If die and expander plug both perform as they should, reassemble the two, being sure to have the decapper pin extend past the bottom of the die the instructed amount.

I hope this helps. When I started reloading for a 243WSSM, I ran into three problems. Getting the right shellholder, getting a powder funnel that would work and getting a new Bullet Puller (inertia hammer) with the proper Magnum Chuck to fit the new shell.

Good Shooting-----Good Hunting[/color]

Bigdog2n, Thanks for the reply.

I did the proper die setup as I did an hour earlier with my 270. However it seemed really hard to resize the casing. I used a spent casing from my gun and tried to resize it and it was too large for the bullet. However when I tried a new unfired casing in the resizing die it worked and the bullet seated properly. Not sure why this is except that maybe the casings that were fired (fired only once and from factory) were so stretched that they wouldn't resize properly. Can this be ? I did reload 20 rounds from new casings and resized them and it worked, I just can't from spent casing.

I am going to start over again tonight and reset the die and hopefully this will work.

The problem appears obvious - the die is for a larger caliber case like a .324 WSM or is out of spec. What the OP sees as "it seemed really hard to resize the casing" may be due to the expander ball expanding the .308" neck to a larger diameter. This is why the .308" bullets don't fit.

The issue then is complicated by the statement that new brass will resize fine. How can this be? Did the OP actually full-length resize the new brass in the same FL die?

We need to know several things:

* What is the actual diameter of the expander ball?
* How loose are the .308" bulelts in the case necks?
* Does resizing a new case in the same die allow it to accept the bullet?
* What level of accuracy is the rifle giving with the reloads versus factory?
* Do the reloaded cartridges with bullet fit the rifle?
* What resizing lube are you using?

It seems ridiculous that the cases might expand too much to allow sizing down to accept the correct bullet, but... :?:

I had a brand-spanking new RCBS die that was out of spec. The neck portion of the die was too large. It would not constrict the once-fired brass to a small enough diameter to hold a bullet.

RCBS did replace the die but I have to say I was disappointed in the time it took, nearly 9 weeks. :(

The prior post may be correct in the expander ball opening up the neck.
Take a couple of the sized cases (the ones the bullet falls thru) and run them back thru the die, without the decapper/expander rod in place. How is the neck now? You may have to get smaller expander ball for this thick brass. RCBS may send you one free in the mail. I take a lot of my expander ball/decapping rods, chuck them in a drill, and use a little oil and fine grinding stone to make them smaller.

Good luck,

Steve :grin:

After reading your reply and talking with others, I believe you have a bad die--as strange as it sounds

Assuming your setting it up right, it should resize the once fired brass. It isn't. It has too large of a chamber in the resizing die. With this larger chamber, you can still reload new unfired brass because it basically never touchs the die, and your expander plug is either the right size or too small also because it's not changing your ability to seat a bullet in an unfired case.

But I believe "Cariboo" is right. Your once fired cases are much bigger than the factory unfired and while you might be body and shoulder resizing, the die is not compressing the neck and new bullets just fall
into the case.

Good Shooting............Good Hunting

Back