.300 WSM TGR ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
What do you think of a .300 WSM Nosler TGR as a general purpose big game rifle? Particularly here in the Pacific Northwest?

Am primarily a mule deer hunter, occasionally I'll go for bear or elk. Keep putting in for moose tags along with tags for bighorn sheep & mountain goat, but the odds are pretty steep against ever drawing.

Am kind of toying with the idea of swapping out a couple of my rifles, cutting the inventory and upgrading all at the same time. The TGR appeals because it's essentially weatherproof and should be quite accurate given the components.

I've got a possibility of trading for/buying a new TGR in .300 WSM...

What's the recoil like in the 7 pound Nosler TGR, in .300 WSM? I want a rifle I can shoot accurately at longish ranges...

Thanks in advance for your input!

Guy

I can't imagine that recoil would be unbearable. That is partly dependent upon stock design, and what I've seen of the TGR leads me to believe it is well designed. I do like the 300WSM as an all-around cartridge. I should think it would stand up to the weather quite well.

Actually that rifle would do for everything! If it shoots like bullet's 7mm-08 I would have a hard time using anything else.

Guy,

That would make for a dynamite all around hunting rifle. Loaded up with 165 gr PT's, you could hunt NA and never look back.

JD338

Guy,
I've been using a Nosler 48 in .300WSM exclusively for the past 7 seasons. I've hunted caribou, goats, moose, sheep, bears and wolves with it. It kills with authority and as much we like talking rifles and bullets there are really very few ballistic equations that a 180AB at 2950 won't solve...at least on this continent.

The AK weather is fierce and the weatherproof qualities of the rifle are amazing. It is showing it's age- but at some 75 days a year in the field it looks pretty good. Recoil is stout, but entirely manageable. Stock design is excellent.

Mine will shoot 3/4MOA with Nosler TG ammo as well as Federal Blue box.

Hodgeman provides the voice of experience in this instance, Guy. His statement is pretty convincing.

I can't imagine you'd go wrong with that as your "one rifle battery" for big game, Guy. I've considered what I'd do if reduced to just one or two, and the long and short of it for me are my 270 & 300'bees. Either of these are similar enough in bullet weight and game taking capability that I'd not be undergunned with one or the other, although if I lived out in your area where bears were more a concern, the 300 would certainly get the nod. Recoil for the WSM TGR would run just a smidge more than my 270Wby, which, while not 243Win level, is still imminently comfortable to shoot all day. It would be about 20-25% lower than my 300'bee, which is still tolerable and manageable for 15-30rds at the bench, and easily for 2-3rds afield on a very busy day. I believe your thinking is sound, beyond the obvious flaw that you're getting rid of more rifles than you're buying in replacement. ;)

I think it's a great idea Guy. The 300WSM is a slick cartridge. I've not had mine as long as others, but it seems to work well and a Featherweight or TGR style rifle would make for an awesome mountain rifle.

Guy, Get the M48. You will not regret it. I had a muzzle brake added and the recoil is light. It would be a great gun for your Africa plains game trip. Its the only gun I use for hunting except for the blackout, but thats for a different type of hunting. I will be taking it to Patagonia next year for Red Stag. I have never had an issue with the rifle, and when the nut behind the bolt gets his act together its deadly.
Russ

Guy, I have a Sako 75 synthetic stainless in 300 WSM. The TGR and the 75 are within 1/8 of a pound of each other. The only time I don't enjoy shooting the WSM is about the third shot from prone with a 180 g AB. Other than the prone position, I can shoot the WSM for extended periods without any issues.
While I do not have a TGR, I have the Professional in 280 AI and it shoots like a dream. I look forward to hunting deer and antelope with it this year. I don't think that you could go wrong with the TGR in the 300 WSM.

OR----------- You could take that big laminate off the 300 you have Guy, drop it in a nice Manner's or McMillan to drop some weight.. Might just be all your looking for just like that?

SJB358":59eu6b1u said:
OR----------- You could take that big laminate off the 300 you have Guy, drop it in a nice Manner's or McMillan to drop some weight.. Might just be all your looking for just like that?

+1. I am going that route with my Coyote and saving up for a TGR in 35 Whelen :)

ajvigs":1xziefvy said:
SJB358":1xziefvy said:

+1. I am going that route with my Coyote and saving up for a TGR in 35 Whelen :)

Another wise move on your part.

DrMike":23rv629x said:
ajvigs":23rv629x said:
SJB358":23rv629x said:

Another wise move on your part.

I agree Jim. Those two would be an incredible combo.

I think availability and price of WSM brass would be only issue as long as you are not shy of a little thumping but by the time you get it loaded and scoped you will be at 8 to 8 1/4 lbs which is normal rifle weight ? Not sure how many of the little fatty's this rifle holds but I would be surprised if it was more than 2+1 total ? WSM brass is getting real expensive, I would say 300 Win Mag would be my choice unless you had no choice! :mrgreen: I own a BAR Light WS and it thumps kinda hard but it's a semi auto but it's nice to have 3 fast shots and not much will get buy it if you do your job :grin:
I would like one in a 6.5x284 myself :mrgreen:

You know what I think of it in a TGR :mrgreen: :mrgreen: good combo of cartridge and rifle

HOGWILD338-378":3gp09mvo said:
MIDWAYUSA has Nosler 300 WSM brass and it's about 2.60 per :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm well set with Norma brass for the .300 WSM. Even have a box of 100 (200?) that I haven't opened. Neat cartridge. I like it, along with the other .30 cal cartridges.

Guy

Guy Miner":3f6tp4eh said:
HOGWILD338-378":3f6tp4eh said:
MIDWAYUSA has Nosler 300 WSM brass and it's about 2.60 per :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm well set with Norma brass for the .300 WSM. Even have a box of 100 (200?) that I haven't opened. Neat cartridge. I like it, along with the other .30 cal cartridges.

Guy

+ ONE

Back