300gr Partition and 260gr Accubond

.375":7k8kplhu said:
Guy Miner":7k8kplhu said:
Agree, most of the .375 bullets I've tested have been pretty impressive.

The only one that gives me some concern is the 270 Hornady Spire Point - it seems quite fragile compared to all other .375 bullets I've tried.

The 300 gr Hornady spire point boat tail on the other hand looked great when tested against the water jugs.

Of course the only one I've actually used in the field is the 260 Nosler AccuBond, and it's done very well.

There are likely some very experienced .375 hunters out there, chuckling at us... :grin:

Guy, I have been shooting the Hornady 270 grain spire point at 2750 fps for almost 20 years with good to excellent results on a few elk here in Montana. A small bull I shot caused complete jacket separation after hitting a rib on entering. Since I had noticed jacket separation only once before on a sand pile I contacted Hornady and they told me that speeds over 2500 fps will cause the separation. I have been looking for a new bullet ever since but I am reluctant to change something that shoots so accurately in my rifle. Now, I understand that the Hornady will no longer be available. After considerable research, I have come to the conclusion that the 260 grain AccuBond is the best bet for my hunting situations. Now if I could just buy some...any ideas when Nosler will be sending more of these out? I would like to put a few boxes downrange before November.

Welcome to the Nosler Forum!

Interesting about that bullet having some jacket-core issues at over 2500 fps. It's no trick to load the 270 gr bullet well above that level. Also worth noting, I tested the 300 gr BTSP Hornady at 2521 fps and it did very well in my milk-jug tests. Would rather have "tested" it for 20 years on elk like you did! :mrgreen:

Re the 260 AccuBond, I don't think it will disappoint you. Accurate and tough, yet expands readily... One heck of a hunting bullet...

Regards, Guy

I have used the 260 gr AB in my 376 Steyr on elk and bison so far.
Recovered bullets found under the hide, on the off side provided the following on the quartering away shots:
1) Over 30"of penetration
2) 96% weight retention
3) Bullet expansion up to .750"

Load chrono's 2532 fps out of my 21" barrel and shoots 1/2" groups @ 100 yards.
62.0 grs of H335 in Hornady cases with Federal 210 primers.(If memory serves correctly...will have to verify)

Very nice. That 375 certainly has a lot of good bullets available for it. That Oryx looks pretty darned cool. Should open a big hole.

Back