Beginner
Jan 15, 2011
Hello everyone
I need load info for the 308 win
I am shooting the 168 gr ballistic tips
any help would be great
retiredcpo

Welcome retiredcpo.

For the 168 grain bullet, I used 43.5 grains of BLC-2. Shoots really well with my Tactical 308. I used the 168 grain Nosler Comp however but I'm pretty sure it will work just as well on the Nosler BT. Another powder that most 308 shooters use is Varget. I use it on the 155 grain Scenar for competition. Lately, I switch to Reloader 15 after I run out of Varget. I found out that the two powder were almost identical, both in characteristic and performance.

I burned a lot of IMR 4064 and BL-c2 through my .308. Had excellent results with both pushing 165 gr Hornady's. IMR/Hodgedon has data for both.

Varget would also be a good bet as would IMR 4320. Got my most accurate loads of all with BL-C2 and 150 gr. bullets. Be flexible in your bullet selection. There are a lot of good .30 cals to choose from. Only problem I had with BL-C2 is that it was noticeably dirtier than extruded powders I tried.

I tried rl5,blc2, and varget my first trip to the range
only shot a few of each after I ran 50 to break the barrel in(shot clean shot clean ect)
all where a inch or less but nothing really great
I used win large rifle primers.
My next trip im going to try loads with .5 gr hotter, Mag primes and re run the one I ran before
Im hoping something pulls in as the barrrel gets broke in
I was hoping somebody would have another magic reciepe to try
retiredcpo

An inch or less doesn't sound to bad to me, for first loads. Seating depth has already been suggested, 4895 or 3031 might also work. What is the rifle you are shooting ?

"I need load info for the 308 win I am shooting the 168 gr ballistic tips"

Welcome aboard! This is a good crowd here, and the .308 is a favored cartridge among many of us.

I shoot the .308 mostly with 168's for matches and practice, and switch to any of several 165 gr bullets for hunting. It's a great little cartridge with both outstanding accuracy and plenty of punch for most North American big game.

Typically I'll use either Varget or Reloader 15 with the 165/168 gr bullets and get excellent accuracy even at 600 yards. I rarely shoot beyond 600 anymore. With my short-action Remington, I just load to magazine length instead of trying to touch the lands or anything. The rifle does just fine that way. Mostly I use match primers but I have to admit that I can't tell much difference in the accuracy of my loads if I use a standard primer.

Winchester brass needs some prep work, but can be pretty good. Federal tends to be "soft" and not useful after a few full-power loads. Lapua is excellent, but expensive.

Here's a link to an excellent article on handloading the .308 Win: http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

Yup. We like the .308 around here. Hope you'll stick around and show us some groups & maybe even a good photo with you, your .308 and a big ol' critter you've tagged!

Regards, Guy

Thanks for all the info guys
my lenght was set by the mag I am loading to 2.800 I cant not go any longer and still fit in the mag.
right now I have a cheap weaver sitting on it Im using to break it in and start working on the load. I have a leupold mark4 waiting for rings and bases to arrive before I mount that
All three BLC-2 and RL15 produced good groups but Im hoping to pull them in alot tighter.
Ill be shooting rock chucks out to 800+ with this gun
retiredcpo

That sounds like a lot of fun! It's definately a capable cartridge with a good scope and a good shooter.

You've mentioned mag primers. You mean magnum primer?.

308 doesn't need magnum primers. Stick to one powder and work-up a load. 308 is not finicky to load at all.

800 yards is long poke for a 308 Winchester. If I were you, I'll use lighter bullet and push it as fast as you safely can. The 155 grain Scenar is an excellent example of a light bullet with high .BC for long-range work. I use this bullet for 1000 yards competition. At 2900 ft/sec +, the bullet will remain supersonic to 1200 yards.

IMGP1895.jpg

3 shot group at 525 yards on an 18MPH wind,

Picture037.jpg

None of these diehard 1000 yards shooters use 168. It's either 155 Scenars or 175 and 190 grain SMK. The max score is 250-25X.

ae673779.jpg

You think 308 can't be competitive. Just compare their scores against the big boys.

3b772522.jpg

DF, every now and again I get the urge to re-barrel to something other than a .308 in my ol' Green Machine - but I haven't been able to make myself do so yet. Still, I've only had the rifle 17 years so far... Might change my mind in a barrel or two... :grin:

Guy Miner":39f0nrwr said:
DF, every now and again I get the urge to re-barrel to something other than a .308 in my ol' Green Machine - but I haven't been able to make myself do so yet. Still, I've only had the rifle 17 years so far... Might change my mind in a barrel or two... :grin:

Don't do it Guy! Everyone should own at least one 308 in their life time. I only have mine for 6 years. I have an Obermeyer on the wings just in case the Pac-Nor 3 grove lost it's edge.

DF
I will stay with the wim large rifle primers im going to try alittle hotter and see what happens.
This gun is also going to be used for bear and deer at shorter ranges under 400-500
most of our rock chuck shooting is under600 but sometimes we shoot further out
hopefully I will get out in the next few days to give it another try
I think this 308 was a good choice think its going to be alot of fun
retiredcpo

Back