308win necked down to 260rem

fwood

Beginner
Jul 15, 2011
I necked down some 308 brass today to 260 rem any problem, that you guys see.

Jon

You might end up with the neck being too thick, if you make a dummy round it will show you if you need to ream or turn the necks.

If it was Winchester brass that is a good brand to neck down because the necks are usually thinner to begin with.
Necking down is actually a good way to go because the neck material on the beginning brass becomes a little bit of the shoulder on the necked down brass. If you neck brass up to a larger caliber you're pulling shoulder material up and into the neck area which often is a little thicker and can give you the dreaded donut.
Like Jerry said you should probably make sure it isn't too thick and that your bullet has enough room to release properly ....but most factory rifles don't have a problem.

Well when I was finished with this little experiment I tried a couple and cant close the bolt on the 260 the OAL on the brass is fine the problem is at the rim I think ? It was cheap PMC 308 brass that I ran threw the M1A1 so no loss but I have had no problems with going the other way with 243 brass.

Jon

Remington 260 Rem brass is tough to find these days but Lapua and Norma are quite nice.

Do you have a headspace checker? Nine times out of ten the problem is the shoulder is not pushed back far enough.
It may just be a matter of setting your sizing die down another little bit of a turn.
In general you'll have lots better luck using Virgin brass to form into other brands and 308 virgin it's pretty easy to find. Even one firing starts toughing up the necks and shoulders on brass.

I don't have a headspace gauge I might just bump it back a little and see what happens.

Ok I Bumped the sholder back an they cycle great. kraky1 and Gerry Thanks!

Jon

I can't tell you how important a $35 headspace check kit is in general....and it's a real "must" when reforming cases!
You won't regret the money spent.

My hunting buddy got one of the first Rem 700s to come out in 260 Rem. You could not even get ammo or cases at the time. There was not even any official load data out yet. We tried 308 cases and found that they would come out a bit short in the neck length then we gave 243 cases a try BINGO perfect case. Through looking over 6.5x55 Swede load data we decided to go with H-4350 and again BINGO. With Sierra 120 and 140 SPs that rifle was just down right accurate. We ended up using Remington nickle 243 brass, CCIBR2 primer with just a bit more H-4350 than data list today but it was OK in this rifle. We were doing deer crop damage control on a farm in east NC at the time and between us we killed 50 deer that year with that rifle shooting both bullets and it killed unbelievably. 49 out of the 50 deer dropped in their tracks. Only one took three jumps after taking a 140 gr through the lungs. My buddy likes to fool with different rifles and he does not keep anything long. He sold that rifle to another friend for his grandson to start out deer hunting with and all these years latter this child has grown in to a man and he still uses that rifle to fill his freezer every year with a few deer.

Thanks for all the input, can you guys share your 120g NBT data with me working it up now I am using imr 4350 44.5 and 45g right now. .055off the lands with mediocre groups. its my daughters gun but I love it.

Jon

Back